As Everyone know i have a FORD FIESTA
Model : 2007 SXI
ODO Reading : 36000 KMS

I left my car for service on 22/08/12
My complaints were
Car starting problem.
Engine immobilizer light not flashing.
hard feeling in steering.
some sorts of sound in rolling down driver side window.
engine oil change.

Today we got a call from ford that our had problem with the timing belt.
And which has to be changed and which cost around 15k.
My questions are
Does the timing belt has to be replaced at 36k
does it affect any other in my car if left unchanged
please pour your suggestions.

Re: Change of TimingBelt(ford fiesta)

At 36000km change of timing belt looks bit early, but we cannot predict this and can happen any time.

After some time, if this gets complete damaged then you will be stranded on the road. which happened to me with my M800 at 50000km I remember, then I towed and taken to the nearest service center.

Oh !! it looks pretty cost with ford cars !!

Thread Starter #3

At 36000km change of timing belt looks bit early, but we cannot predict this and can happen any time.

After some time, if this gets complete damaged then you will be stranded on the road. which happened to me with my M800 at 50000km I remember, then I towed and taken to the nearest service center.

Oh !! it looks pretty cost with ford cars !!
myself feel its too early to change it[frustration].
now asked the change the belt sir.
i will post the other bill criteria.I think its the only costly service in the history of my car nothing was this much costly before.
I dont know about ford but fiesta is a easy car in maintanence sir.

But whats the connection between timing belt and starting problem.

Ask them to show the old timing belt, see for aging signs. But 15k is too costly.

Thread Starter #5

But whats the connection between timing belt and starting problem.

Ask them to show the old timing belt, see for aging signs. But 15k is too costly.
yes they will be showing the timing belt.
When i discussed with ford people and surendar
starting problem is related only with self motor or timing belt
self motor and battery are good so it will be only with timing belt.
They say timing belt should be changed in 1lac KMS ODO or 5 years which has completed 5 years.

yes they will be showing the timing belt.
When i discussed with ford people and surendar
starting problem is related only with self motor or timing belt
self motor and battery are good so it will be only with timing belt.
They say timing belt should be changed in 1lac KMS ODO or 5 years which has completed 5 years.
is your car fires more than a typical amount of exhaust?and another one thing how does it matter whether 5 year old or not but i thing ODO reading is the main thing correct me if i m wrong.may be car was not used so much say for 5 year and odo reading is 12000 then also we need to replace timing belt as the car is 5 year old?

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team

one thing how does it matter whether 5 year old or not but i thing ODO reading is the main thing correct me if i m wrong.may be car was not used so much say for 5 year and odo reading is 12000 then also we need to replace timing belt as the car is 5 year old?
Yes. Ford recommends (as per ownership manual) renewing timing belt of Fiesta at 1 Lakh Kilometers or 5 Years to be on a safer side.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #8

Yes. Ford recommends (as per ownership manual) renewing timing belt of Fiesta at 1 Lakh Kilometers or 5 Years to be on a safer side.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thank you and now i relaxed after knowing this as everyone were scolding for changing it now

Re: Change of TimingBelt (Ford Fiesta)

Tming belt probs in 36000 Kms is sad on the auto company's part.Normally belt should last over 70000 kms.the timing belt connects cam saft and crank shaft .Any problem will effect staring problem , lag in lower gears, black smoke in diesel cars.The bel takes more strss in constant starting and stopping ie, city driving.

Thread Starter #10
Re: Change of TimingBelt (Ford Fiesta)

Tming belt probs in 36000 Kms is sad on the auto company's part.Normally belt should last over 70000 kms.the timing belt connects cam saft and crank shaft .Any problem will effect staring problem , lag in lower gears, black smoke in diesel cars.The bel takes more strss in constant starting and stopping ie, city driving.
no problem in belt but ford suggested me to change[frustration] it as my car completed five years[cry].absoultly no problem in my car.

I have been using ford fiesta diesel since 2006 and more than lakh kilometers.I got my timer belt changed at 98k,as a preemptive measure as it is advised by ford service maintenance schedule.Also,if timer belt snaps while engine is running it causes sever damage and hefty repairs.

I got timer belt changed from my local mechanic.The entire overhauling(timer belt,serpentine belt,pulleys,labor) cost was 3500/-.Change of belts resulted in less engine noise.

Its been over 5000kms since then and the car is running fine,with no complaints as of now.

Thread Starter #12
Today i'm so sad
My car didnt start after filling diesel in bunk.
i tried again and again no use.
then pushed my car and then started that.
then after returning home tried it works fine now.
but im under confusion.

Its not the issue with timing belt.

Were you able to hear the crank sound ? If yes then it would be issue with the fuel supply.
If it dint crank it would be because of immobilizer.

Thread Starter #14
Its not the issue with timing belt.

Were you able to hear the crank sound ? If yes then it would be issue with the fuel supply.
If it dint crank it would be because of immobilizer.
no it cranked i heard the noise was as usual
i have a doubt that it can be from self motor[confused]

Top Bottom