Celestial Black Beauty - Etios Diesel

Thread Starter #47
The beading cannot be pasted on the door - the door needs to have some sort of structurre/contour/channel to hold the beading. Initial Livas/Etioses were having complaints of water entry inside the car through the door shutlines - could have been because of the lack of door beadings.

By the way, what engine oil are Toyota using for the Etios?
I really doubt the water seepage stories as the door beading was always there. It might have been a case of not fitting back the beading properly after an accessory addition.

I used the engine oil from Toyota itself. Looking at the price, it's not synthetic oil.

Buddy,how do you find the service cost for Etios?
I believe it's reasonable. The price list has been attached for reference. Since the cycle is only 10000 kms, I don't feel it's *very* costly. I have heard that the VWs come around Rs. 10000 or more. Even my WagonR service never used to be that cheap.

Thread Starter #48
I had a very interesting drive to Trichur, Kerala in the weekend. On the highway between Palghat and Trichur, there was a strange sound coming from the car - on top of the normal road noise, a sort of howling noise as if wind was going through a hollow vessel. I drove a bit slower from there on and the sound stopped. Anyway, I took the car straight to Nippon Toyota dealer in Trichur who were very helpful. A service person did a test drive, but the sound did not come again. He indicated that there didn't seem to be any problem with the car.

On the return journey, again I could hear the same noise on the same stretch. It might be due to the uneven tarring - Anyways, very strange that it didn't happen anywhere else in the 500 km journey. Unfortunately, I did not note down the exact distance from Trichur when this happened.
The stretch is very bad and is a shame to be called National Highway. Fortunately, the Walayar checkpost was relatively smooth even though I had read that there were traffic jams there earlier this week. The car also gave a good mileage of 22 kms inspite of this bad stretch.

Thread Starter #49
Had an accident last week where a boy driving his zen to college rear ended mine due to bad brakes in his car. The car is in the workshop undergoing repairs. The bumper was damaged completely whereas the Zen's bumper only had a small scratch! When I used to wash the car, I could sense that the bumper was not strong, but still it's very thin.

The lower part of the trunk was also dented slightly and I will get the car only after 5 or 6 days.

Thinking about putting a bar similar to some of the innovas on the bumper [frustration]

On the return journey, again I could hear the same noise on the same stretch. It might be due to the uneven tarring - Anyways, very strange that it didn't happen anywhere else in the 500 km journey. Unfortunately, I did not note down the exact distance from Trichur when this happened.
The stretch is very bad and is a shame to be called National Highway. Fortunately, the Walayar checkpost was relatively smooth even though I had read that there were traffic jams there earlier this week. The car also gave a good mileage of 22 kms inspite of this bad stretch.
I read in one of the Renault Scala reviews on a hollow humming noise which was attributed to bad noise insulation. Must be similar to what I head in my Etios.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hummm Rahul , you got a nice car ; Congrats buddy!!!
Firstly its Toyota => Complete peace of mind.
Secondly its D-4D => What to say of it, Diesel king.
Thirdly => Black ! Most beautiful color in my opinion, Looks beautiful when clean and Butch & Sporty when dirty.

Wish you happy miles ahead. Keep us updated on your acquisition. D-4D & K9K are my nearest contenders for replacing my Getz.

Thread Starter #51
Hummm Rahul , you got a nice car ; Congrats buddy!!!
Firstly its Toyota => Complete peace of mind.
Secondly its D-4D => What to say of it, Diesel king.
Thirdly => Black ! Most beautiful color in my opinion, Looks beautiful when clean and Butch & Sporty when dirty.

Wish you happy miles ahead. Keep us updated on your acquisition. D-4D & K9K are my nearest contenders for replacing my Getz.
Thanks for the compliment [:)] Hope you get the required info from the ownership threads. I am hoping for peace of mind, but it's getting dented with the kind of issues that I have captured in post #49.

Still, the car is good to drive.

Thread Starter #52
My car has completed one year in which it has run 15000 kms. This thread has captured my detailed observations over the past one year.

I am a big fan of the ride comfort in the car and as mentioned in one of the above posts, with the tyre pressure slightly lower than the recommended one, the infamous suspension “thud” sound is also reduced to a good extent. The brakes are also excellent and I can see that the make is Bosch. It might be from Kalyani brakes, which is a part of Bosch now.

The beige interiors that was introduced recently looks definitely better than the grey one inside my car. I especially like the black colour of the driver door armrest compared to the garish “aluminium foil type” in mine. Still, not cribbing too much as I had not bought the car for the interiors, but for it’s reliability.

One of the common remarks that I get from friends and colleagues getting into the back seat is the wide space. I am not sure why a similar sized Maruti DZire is not able to get this right.[confused] Maybe, the space utilization is so good that there is almost no gap between the seats and the door. Not sure about this though…

To wrap up, here’s the fuel graph over the past one year collected through full tank to full tank method. Majority of the drive has been in the city during non-peak hours. In general, when the fuel efficiency is good, I see the first of the eight bars clearing around 200 kms and then almost 90 to 100 kms for each of the next bars. For the amount of driving that I did in the last year, going for a diesel has been worth it. [:)]

Attachments

Thread Starter #53
Read in another forum that when the customer pointed out the scraping of speed bumps, the toyota service engineers added spacers. This was during 20,000 kms service. Probably, all the Etios owners can check the same during your next service of the car.

Thread Starter #54
The car had a visit to the service centre last week. The front suspension was replaced under warranty and spacers were added to the back suspension(to avoid scraping while going over the bumps, especially with people sitting in the rear seat).

After couple of days of city driving, I can definitely say that the thud noise while going through small potholes is gone [:)]

In addition, I had told the service personnel that sometimes I was hearing a 'krrr' sound from the rear brakes, on pressing the brake pedal. When I got back the car after the service, I was informed that the "SPRING KIT, REAR BRAKE SHOE HOLD" was also replaced. It seems that this was noticed in few of the cars.

All the changes were done under warranty and I got the bill with "zero" cost.[:D]

good to see toyota is doing rather good on fixing issues, my dad just got a black gd for his office commutes, must say the car is really good especially the rear leg room.

Seems like not only vernas have thin bumpers. By the way i loved the handling of the car made my verna feel like a real boat.

The car had a visit to the service centre last week. The front suspension was replaced under warranty and spacers were added to the back suspension(to avoid scraping while going over the bumps, especially with people sitting in the rear seat).

After couple of days of city driving, I can definitely say that the thud noise while going through small potholes is gone [:)]

In addition, I had told the service personnel that sometimes I was hearing a 'krrr' sound from the rear brakes, on pressing the brake pedal. When I got back the car after the service, I was informed that the "SPRING KIT, REAR BRAKE SHOE HOLD" was also replaced. It seems that this was noticed in few of the cars.

All the changes were done under warranty and I got the bill with "zero" cost.[:D]
Even i got the Spacers installed during the 1st service free of cost. I guess Toyota is instaling spacers to every Etios/liva vehicles during their services if they are already not installed. And yes, the Spacers do their job quite well :)

Happy miles with your Etios :) Can you throw some light on the serivce cost during your 2nd and 3rd services?

My question is why add spacers and not entirely re-design the suspension ?

Thread Starter #58
Even i got the Spacers installed during the 1st service free of cost. I guess Toyota is instaling spacers to every Etios/liva vehicles during their services if they are already not installed. And yes, the Spacers do their job quite well :)

Happy miles with your Etios :) Can you throw some light on the serivce cost during your 2nd and 3rd services?
Cost for the 2nd service has been noted in the below post.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...l-black-beauty-etios-diesel-3.html#post184278

3rd service is not yet done. I thought of doing it after couple of months.

My question is why add spacers and not entirely re-design the suspension ?
Not sure of that. But I am happy that they have at least replaced the front suspension.

Read in another forum that when the customer pointed out the scraping of speed bumps, the toyota service engineers added spacers. This was during 20,000 kms service. Probably, all the Etios owners can check the same during your next service of the car.
How much does the spacers cost for Etios?

Top Bottom