Cars That Arrived Ahead of Time in India

Re: Ahead of its time

How about Honda Jazz which was well ahead of other cars when it was launched. High price for that advancement made it a dud.

Another one I remember is Fiat 500, 2 door iconic hatch which was cheaper then Beetle & had diesel option.

Re: Ahead of its time

Swift (Design wise), It was radical design language change. People made fun and said it looked like toad/frog from behind.

@ reelesh, contessa is one classic i intend to own and might own in the near future if my finances allow me to do a complete restoration. However its like an INDIAN STANG people who own should have pride about it. I agree it would have been saved if HM wouldn't have been stubborn in updating the look of the car just like AMBY. though there are die hard fan of both the HM's, the company should have taken some serious steps to save these models.contessa did not reach the Indian market late. It was the Maruti 1000 and the maruti esteem that kicked contesssa out of the market coz of its FE and service. infact the outgoing contessa diesel with A/c PS PW and 2.0 ISUZU Diesel engine was a fantastic Ride. But by the time these upgrades were made in 2002 the esteem and introduction of other cars with more features had already dodged the market and so it died.
@nishanth5858 Jazz Died because of Japanese stubbornness

Last edited:
Everyone forgot the humble Tata Indigo Marina ! A near-MUV if there ever was one. With a little bit of a stretch, it would have been exactly like the Ertiga/Mobilio.

@ reelesh, contessa is one classic i intend to own and might own in the near future if my finances allow me to do a complete restoration. However its like an INDIAN STANG people who own should have pride about it. I agree it would have been saved if HM wouldn't have been stubborn in updating the look of the car just like AMBY. though there are die hard fan of both the HM's, the company should have taken some serious steps to save these models.contessa did not reach the Indian market late.
I started love this vehicle, when my neighbour bought a new one on 1997. Till that time i seen this vehicle very few times, when some ministers going through our area or in movies. i was at 9th std at that time and didnt know driving, but had travelled some local trips on that car. We had a 2nd hand cielo bought later and i were compare and discuss regarding both cars with neighbour's sons. The car was with them till 2009 and they sold it very cheap price and our cielo too. I came to know very late otherwise i had bought it, even though i dont have that much luxuary of parking space or money.

Last edited:
There was Standard 2000 car manufactured by Standard company in Chennai. I think this car will also fall under the list. It had good sedan design - futuristic and was available only in petrol. I think it came to production in 1985 and had a short life span.

It was a contestant to Contessa but was fuel guzzler. It had good features (power windows etc.) and air condition which was premium that time. It was manufactured in collaboration with Standard UK company and the model was Rover SD1 which was modified for India. It was considered prestigious to own this car.

There was a plan to bring diesel version also. But there was some legal issue and finally the factory was shut down.

Tata sierra is exactly what renault duster and its sibling nissan are right now.
I would surely love to see this vehicle back on roads, with that glass panels,better dashboard design and remapped dicor engine.

I'd say that Mr. Ratan Tata had a vision that he was able to do everything what other manufacturers did at a later stage. There are examples like:
1) Safari TCIC - Small engine with a turbocharger; now everyone doing it. While at the time the car was launched, everyone used to plonk only BIG engines for BIG performance.
2) Sierra Turbo: Hell, that thing used to do 160 kph in 90's. A proper 5 seater SUV it was at that time and was well suited for urban environment.
3) Aria: Other companies will also launch their crossovers with time. XUV AWD is already one.
4) Indica(V2, Turbo and DICOR): First diesel and BIG hatchback of India. Tata recognized the possibility way ahead of others.
5) Indigo: Hatch+Boot; look when Tata did this and when others.
6) Indigo CS: World's first compact sedan.

All these cars were a bit ahead of their time IMO. And their cars always had an everlasting design appeal... err.. I love Aria at heart and I am biased here.

I love the Sierra's and yes vijay sierra with a good dash and dicor engine ( It can be plonked even now in an old sierra) would be a instant hit. however the rear passenger entry is to be changed compared to the original sierra. being a sierra owner people above 45 - find it difficult to enter and exit as well as ladies cant get in this with the stock arrangement. so would really love it if sierra comes back with a 5 door variant. please do pour in your suggestion for the modification of sierra here in case you have any.

@ TSI vipul Aria was a capable vehicle from TATA but did not appeal to the masses. i dont know why may be pricing and exterior design.Feauturewise it matches fortuner or even exceeds i can say.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...102-tata-sierra-modification-suggestions.html

Last edited:

Top Bottom