Career Advice Required

Re: Distance learning - masters (MTech / MS etc)

Hi Hemantp, Mr. Boss,
Here is my take on distance learning. What I understood talking to my friends who have done regular M.Tech from BITS Pilani and distance learning, there is quite bit of difference in both of them (Even I have experienced on-campus rigor at IIT for two years [:)] ). The second point is in some cases distance education degree is not considered as proper degree (For example teaching job). Hence what I feel is try to figure it out why you want that degree, may be by asking yourself following kind of questions:
1. Do I need higher degree so that few years down the lane I want to change my career for teaching? -- If so then distance education may not be best option.
2. Do I need it for my faster career growth? -- Check as how can it help in building your career, as there are many online courses which can also help you same way.
3. Do I need degree, just for learning? – Then surely go for it, there is never end for learning [:)].
Wish you a happy learning
BTW I am also planning for long haul (PhD) from past many years [;)]

Future of IT infrastructure

Hi All,
So I thought of getting more productive other than talking about my Figo car, I'm looking to making a transition to Devops IT from being a Sr Systems engineer, mostly windows, monitoring tools, and intermediate linux (over 6yrs exp), I was keen to know if any of you guys are into devops/automation, a good advice or probably meeting somewhere in bangalore can help me guide into career path to devops infrastructure automation.

Regards,

Re: Future of IT infrastructure

Hi All,
So I thought of getting more productive other than talking about my Figo car, I'm looking to making a transition to Devops IT from being a Sr Systems engineer, mostly windows, monitoring tools, and intermediate linux (over 6yrs exp), I was keen to know if any of you guys are into devops/automation, a good advice or probably meeting somewhere in bangalore can help me guide into career path to devops infrastructure automation.

Regards,
DevOps is buzzword and I can understand why you wanna make THE move. But honestly, wait till the market mature for DevOps. I've worked with Jenkins/Hudson over past 3 years and I can say that most companies(except few who are willing to bite the bullet) doesn't even lift their finger to implement DevOps or any tools for that matter. I had to fight to get Jenkins installed in past 2 companies and now they understand the cost benefit. But it's not always that easy. All of them are comfy in their rusty old frameworks and tools, they even forget the cost overhead they have with such outdated tools and FWs!

So what I would suggest is, get yourself comfortable with DevOps first. Go with OSS tools and get familiar with all terminologies, and try to attend couple of interviews in small companies to get basic idea on how the interviews are going to be(Because you know, we so far accustomed to some questions and newer one will throw us away easily!). And mostly, those interviews will help you in getting basic idea of DevOps market, which you should use to your merit.

Don't rush into some new domain just because it's hot. It's an illusion unless handled properly. So wait it out, prepare for the battle and hit it hard. That's what I'm gonna suggest. Oh, BTW don't go attend any classes for those namesake Training Centers, even if it's an MNC. Cause it ain't worth it and nothing beats self learning.

Last edited:
@furious_driver - Thanks for your advice, appreciate it.
And yes, I'm not going to look at any training center, as there is already enough information out on the Internet to begin with anything, and I'm yet to find an opportunity to use any of the automation tools, really looking forward to setting up core skills, what I know is known to millions and something easily found which makes it difficult to not only find a meaningful job but growth is stuck, but I never found anything to be impossible to achieve, just need patience and dedication to learn anything.

@furious_driver - Thanks for your advice, appreciate it.
That sounds great! Growth and knowledge is what we need to strive in our jobs. Money matters, but not as much as information. If a job makes you learn nothing, better get rid of it.

What I'd like you to do is, get a free servers like openshift. Start setting up tools in it so you can have real experience and it'd better than our local setup. Nothing better than hands on experience, so try utilize some spare time to learn stuff. Eventhough my regular job is beating me left and right, I always make it a point to try some new stuff every 3 months. I build some projects and host it, not because it is going to get me some bucks, but it will get me real time experience. Hope you get my point. So start slitting the throat of DevOps and get a good job soon. Wish you luck!

@furious_driver - Openshift sounded a lot like Openstack, I find this to be PaaS which is different from Openstack, I will look in to this, Thanks.

Guys,
How is Tech Mahindra , MBA (Sales) Profile?

My brother got an offer from them at 18 lacs (MBA from top 5 b school)

Posting - Europe/USA

Guys,
How is Tech Mahindra , MBA (Sales) Profile?

My brother got an offer from them at 18 lacs (MBA from top 5 b school)

Posting - Europe/USA
They are good. Offer sounds excellent! I don't know what do you mean by How is TM? DO you feel they are going to rob your bro and kick him out? Nope, that's not gonna happen.

If my memory serves right, (and with little knowledge I have I can say)It is one of the stable company AFAIK and even during recession they did well!!

Top Bottom