Car Scan Tool (OBD) – Queries & Discussions

@deville_56 @Iron Rock
Friends can you share a brand name or link from some Indian shopping website? Had a terrible experience with aliexpress. Planning for the Bluetooth one, speed is not that important although it might be when I get a habit of it, wanted to buy it because everytime I hear sir your car needs this and that etc.etc. You can't really trust these service centres.

Most of the ones listed are generic ones. Anything will do. Search with ELM327 and check reviews and price and checkout.
Thanks. Final query, the expensive one's, higher than 5000 say that ota updates will be there+that they show more readings which other, basically cheaper one's, don't show. Is that true or just marketing gimmicks? People have purchased these for more than 10k also

deville_56

Honoured Member
Thanks. Final query, the expensive one's, higher than 5000 say that ota updates will be there+that they show more readings which other, basically cheaper one's, don't show. Is that true or just marketing gimmicks? People have purchased these for more than 10k also
Kind of true, but enough datas and error codes available for basic troubleshooting purposes.

@Iron Rock @deville_56
Have ordered one. Will share review on receiving it.
Is VCDS superior to obd? What more functions, features does it have?
VCDS stands for VAG-COM Diagnostic System and it is primarily used for diagnostics and adjustments of Volkswagen Group motor vehicles, including Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Audi, Bentley (limited), Lamborghini (limited), SEAT, and Škoda automobiles.

Cheap Chinese OBD scanners has basic support for VAG-COM like error check but some doesn't work properly. If you are a professional or own a car diagnostics and tuning shop then you may look for expensive scanning devices. For personal use, a cheap Chinese OBD scanner is enough.

Expensive OBD or VAG scanners support flashing and configuring ECU, key alignment (Immobilizer), engine tuning, sensor reconfiguring or pairing and many more. The software used in these scanners is subscription based so it has to be renewed or updated yearly or two mostly via OTA and some scanners access internet for online validation before you can use it.

Last edited:
Good day!

May I ask if what protocol in ELM327 should be used in order to communicate to the ECU? I am using a Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner via OBD Auto Doctor in PC, but it seems that it cannot communicate to the ECU.

Good day!

May I ask if what protocol in ELM327 should be used in order to communicate to the ECU? I am using a Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner via OBD Auto Doctor in PC, but it seems that it cannot communicate to the ECU.
Which car do you own and please share picture or link to the OBD scanner you have currently. Try piston app and see if it works. You just have to select bluetooth connection and app will automatically connect. Make sure car key is set to ON mode (A step before start).

Which car do you own and please share picture or link to the OBD scanner you have currently. Try piston app and see if it works. You just have to select bluetooth connection and app will automatically connect. Make sure car key is set to ON mode (A step before start).
Hi sir!
I have an Alto 800 - 2015.

ELM 327
download.jpg

Already checked the OBD2 Ports, I have a working CAN Bus on Pins 14/6, 12+ on Pin 16, and 12- on Pins 4/5. And ISO 9141 (K-Line) on Pin 7. Using Torque / Piston / OBD Auto Doctor, but it can't connect to the ECU.

Hi sir!
I have an Alto 800 - 2015.

ELM 327
View attachment 284781

Already checked the OBD2 Ports, I have a working CAN Bus on Pins 14/6, 12+ on Pin 16, and 12- on Pins 4/5. And ISO 9141 (K-Line) on Pin 7. Using Torque / Piston / OBD Auto Doctor, but it can't connect to the ECU.
This ELM 327 is basic scanner so it can only read errors, rpm, odometer, voltage, MAF sensor, intake air temperature, throttle position and few others from the ECU. If it has not connecting totally then I guess the scanner is bad. Try it on different vehicle.

However, If you are looking to gain access to advanced settings then you have to get a more expensive obd scanners.

Last edited:
This ELM 327 is basic scanner so it can only read errors, rpm, odometer, voltage and few others from the ECU. If it has not connecting totally then I guess the scanner is bad. Try it on different vehicle.

However, If you are looking to gain access to advanced settings then you have to get a more expensive obd scanners.
I have tried sir my scanner with our Ford Ranger WildTrak, and it is functioning well. Only in Suzuki Alto 800, it cant communicate with the ECU.

I have tried sir my scanner with our Ford Ranger WildTrak, and it is functioning well. Only in Suzuki Alto 800, it cant communicate with the ECU.
Then I guess there is something wrong in ECU. Did you do any alterations to ECU?

Also there are versions (1.5, 2.1) in ELM 327 scanner, may be the one you have works for ford and doesn't for Suzuki?

Top Bottom