Car Scan Tool (OBD) – Queries & Discussions

I just cleared the error codes and now there are No more dtc. So I think I am not in a Big trouble for now.

How many times had you cranked during jump starting
In some rides (I am not sure with Ford ) - Multiple cranking at same time , will also generate certain error codes (The ECU is made to sense so ) .
I had cranked 3-4 times, its a push button start. But the cranking noise was continuous and it showed errors like check engine light and ABS light on console, so finally I told him to stop trying and called an Exide guy from their RSA services.

Exactly what I had thought , after 2nd crank you should have waited for 30s or so before attempting to crank (its there in manual), I know that at that point of time we won't think like this .
A simple solution would be Reprogramming the software again , and after 2-3 days post programming , again scan it (if no other issues , it would be a clean result)

A simple solution would be Reprogramming the software again , and after 2-3 days post programming , again scan it (if no other issues , it would be a clean result)
Sir, how can we reprogram the software?
Another thing, the Piston app that @CRACING sir recommended is not able to connect to the OBD. I am using the Car Scanner app only.

Take it to ASS , they will scan the vehicle (if any issue crops up ) , inform them about what you had done (battery jumpstarting incident), and they will try deleting the codes or will check the history and confirm whether there's any malfunction , and they will reprogram and do the needful. Reprogramming , is simple procedure deleting the existing software patch and installing it again/ an updated version .

Another thing, the Piston app that @CRACING sir recommended is not able to connect to the OBD. I am using the Car Scanner app only.
Make sure you aren't running other OBD apps in background. Connect your smartphone to the OBD device via bluetooth -> open Piston app -> tap top-right corner icon (car and plug) -> select your OBDII device from the list -> Wait until it is connected -> Once connected, you will see green dot followed by connected text on the side bar.

To check errors, go to side bar -> tap faults -> tap scan icon (circular arrows)
To view live data, tap play icon on the main screen. You can add or remove entries using + icon.

I have ELM 327 OBDII device and Piston app works fine with it. My car is Honda City 3rd Gen

CR_ELM327.jpg

Make sure you aren't running other OBD apps in background.
Done.
Connect your smartphone to the OBD device via bluetooth -> open Piston app -> tap top-right corner icon (car and plug) -> select your OBDII device from the list -> Wait until it is connected
It says failed to connect after this. I am using this VGate iCar2 OBD -
Rs. 710.78 15%OFF | Vgate iCar2 ELM327 obd2 Bluetooth scanner elm 327 V2.1 obd 2 wifi icar 2 auto diagnostic scanner for android/PC/IOS code reader

I am easily able to connect the OBD with following 4 apps -
1) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovz.carscanner

2) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree

3) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.eobdfacile.android

4) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.racedroid

I'll try the Piston app again and report.

Are OBD's devices worth the money for modern cars? What more parameters do they show us besides the one's already shown by the vehicles?
Is there any OBD which can show the serial number of the parts inside the vehicle? Many dealerships tend to swap original parts during service etc. Thank you.

@Nairrk @Suryaputhra

its actually worth its weight in gold and given how cheap it is today - its actually a no brainer to keep one.
But i am not sure if you are clear about the purpose of obd2 tool -obd does not give serial numbers of part inside vehicle, you can rather find that in a service or technical manual.
obd will give insights on error codes and help you clear codes(not all types of codes).

it helps largely in understanding root cause of where problem lies - especially as it has access to sensor data. it helps in troubleshooting.

its actually worth its weight in gold and given how cheap it is today - its actually a no brainer to keep one.
But i am not sure if you are clear about the purpose of obd2 tool -obd does not give serial numbers of part inside vehicle, you can rather find that in a service or technical manual.
obd will give insights on error codes and help you clear codes(not all types of codes).

it helps largely in understanding root cause of where problem lies - especially as it has access to sensor data. it helps in troubleshooting.
Thanks. Which additional parameters does it display? And which is a value for money OBD?

deville_56

Honoured Member
Any good brand? There are tons of them available online.
Vgate ICAR 2 is good, but hard to find nowadays. Get a Bluetooth version, not wifi.

Most of the one available especially the blue ones are generic ones. Buy the cheapest if getting those since there won't be much difference irrespective of sticker brands.

^^ any reason you say not wifi ?
Plenty on aliexpress check out autool
The obd tool can display whatever parameters your car is designed to give out - eg:- actual coolant temperature, transmission fluid temp, boost pressure etc.
Its a useful tool from a troubleshooting perspective - not a daily use thing unless you have a heavily modded car which requires you to keep a very close eye.

Last edited:

Top Bottom