Car Scan Tool (OBD) – Queries & Discussions

Akash1886

Honoured Member
VAG-COM Diagnostics For VW, Audi, SKODA Cars.

Friends,

I came across an interesting article that shall be helpful to those who own Skoda, VW or Audi passenger cars here. It is mainly about a Diagnostic System that works mainly for the above mentioned cars. It in abbreviation is called V.C.D.S i.e Vag Com Diagnostic System. VAG-COM is a Microsoft Windows-based software package that has been developed and produced by Ross-Tech, LLC since May 2000.

Usage Of Vag Com Diagnostics System.

VCDS shall perform most of the functions of expensive electronic diagnostic tools which are available only to Authorized Dealers like the current VAS 505x series diagnostic tools. In the past, these dealership-only tools have prevented owners, and many small independent repair shops from performing some fundamental tasks, such as diagnosing problems, diesel ignition timing, modification of convenience options such as automatic door unlocking, coding a replacement electronic control unit (ECU) or key to the vehicle, and monitoring of many vehicle sensors for diagnosing problems.

Unlike generic on-board diagnostics (OBD-II or EOBD), VCDS uses the more in-depth Volkswagen Group-specific manufacturer protocol commands, which allows the user to access all diagnostic capable vehicle systems even in vehicles which are not covered by generic OBD-II/EOBD (e.g. pre-1996). In general, there are two ways to use this software, either as a package (software and hardware) distributed by the manufacturer or their agents, or, by building your own interface hardware and using it with the publicly available but limited shareware version of the software.

VCDS is also capable of interfacing vehicles which use the generic OBD-II/EOBD protocols. However, the OBD-II and EOBD standards only allow for limited diagnostics, and no adjustments to any of the ECUs.

2014-font-b-Vag-b-font-com-Diagnostic-tool-cable-font-b-Vag-b-font-409.jpg

118772-ee09e8d68953469e83881fc9eada7644.png
source

source 2

*Pics from google.

Regards

Akash

Hi All,
i'm new to this forum and cars as well. I bought a new alto 800 recently and stuck with some issues. I can't find ODB connector location of new alto 800. I have a OBD 2 bluetooth device and i like to see insights of engine performance. Can someone please help me to find OBD connector location in new alto 800.
Thanks in advance. [:)]

Hi All,
i'm new to this forum and cars as well. I bought a new alto 800 recently and stuck with some issues. I can't find ODB connector location of new alto 800. I have a OBD 2 bluetooth device and i like to see insights of engine performance. Can someone please help me to find OBD connector location in new alto 800.
Thanks in advance. [:)]
Generally the port is located below steering wheel. Its generally not visible openly. So better look closely you will find.

Generally the port is located below steering wheel. Its generally not visible openly. So better look closely you will find.
I tried to find it under steering wheel but still no luck. can it be under the hood near fuse box ? [confused] If someone with new alto 800 please post a picture with the odb connector location if possible.
Thanks..

VAG-COM Diagnostics For VW, Audi, SKODA Cars.

Friends,

I came across an interesting article that shall be helpful to those who own Skoda, VW or Audi passenger cars here. It is mainly about a Diagnostic System that works mainly for the above mentioned cars. It in abbreviation is called V.C.D.S i.e Vag Com Diagnostic System. VAG-COM is a Microsoft Windows-based software package that has been developed and produced by Ross-Tech, LLC since May 2000.

Usage Of Vag Com Diagnostics System.

VCDS shall perform most of the functions of expensive electronic diagnostic tools which are available only to Authorized Dealers like the current VAS 505x series diagnostic tools. In the past, these dealership-only tools have prevented owners, and many small independent repair shops from performing some fundamental tasks, such as diagnosing problems, diesel ignition timing, modification of convenience options such as automatic door unlocking, coding a replacement electronic control unit (ECU) or key to the vehicle, and monitoring of many vehicle sensors for diagnosing problems.

Unlike generic on-board diagnostics (OBD-II or EOBD), VCDS uses the more in-depth Volkswagen Group-specific manufacturer protocol commands, which allows the user to access all diagnostic capable vehicle systems even in vehicles which are not covered by generic OBD-II/EOBD (e.g. pre-1996). In general, there are two ways to use this software, either as a package (software and hardware) distributed by the manufacturer or their agents, or, by building your own interface hardware and using it with the publicly available but limited shareware version of the software.

VCDS is also capable of interfacing vehicles which use the generic OBD-II/EOBD protocols. However, the OBD-II and EOBD standards only allow for limited diagnostics, and no adjustments to any of the ECUs.

source

source 2

*Pics from google.

Regards

Akash
i'm using VCDS for a year to run scans/ activate some features in my Skoda Rapid

I tried to find it under steering wheel but still no luck. can it be under the hood near fuse box ? [confused] If someone with new alto 800 please post a picture with the odb connector location if possible.
Thanks..
I don't have alto but in my Wagon R it is located under steering wheel. Please see pic below for your reference, may be you will get some idea.

Attachments

I don't have alto but in my Wagon R it is located under steering wheel. Please see pic below for your reference, may be you will get some idea.
Thanks for the replay. I finally found the port. IMO new alto 800 build quality is really bad when it comes to electronic arrangements etc.. I'll attach a picture where i found it. It's hard to reach and I can't even directly plug odb connector due to lack of space. wangonr seems to have everything arranged nicely compared to alto 800.

Attachments

Guys need your input on selecting OBD scanner with bluetooth for TATA zest revotron.
Requirements: The OBD scanner would be in permanently connected state. So it should fit in the connector without affecting the body panel covering the obd port above the driver side foot well. Hence bluetooth is mandatory. Should be compatible with my vehicle.
After searching of obd scanners I settled on super mini elm327 v1.5.
But I am not sure whether it will fit inside the panel and allow me to close the panel. Moreover the site says its not compatible with TATA vehicles. So guys my questions are
1. Is super mini elm327 v1.5 is compatible with TATA vehicles?
2. What are all the choices I have for the OBD scanners meeting my requirements?

Guys need your input on selecting OBD scanner with bluetooth for TATA zest revotron.
2. What are all the choices I have for the OBD scanners meeting my requirements?
1. It should be compatible with TATA cars which are manufactured after 2010.

2. If you like to spend some more you can consider ICAR3 which is more latest and advanced. ICAR3

1. It should be compatible with TATA cars which are manufactured after 2010.
2. If you like to spend some more you can consider ICAR3 which is more latest and advanced. ICAR3
Thanks for the quick reply [clap] and I do find ICAR3 is better equipped than the supermini elm 327. But the product dimensions seems gross
ICAR3 12.2 x 7.1 x 3.5 cm
supermini elm327 5.1 x 4.6 x 2.5 cm
The Zest's OBD port is behind the large snap on panel, to the right of steering column. My requirement is plug in the obd scanner close the snap on panel and move on. So wannabe double sure that the scanner snugly fits inside the panel. But the ICAR3 with ignition controlled on/off seems attractive. Want to confirm if fellow zest owners have used/using any scanners currently in their vehicles. ICAR3 is my first preference from now on.

I have bought vgate icar3 recently on aliexpress..not sure why but it didnt work on my polo TDI ..it worked fine on santro xing :(.. any idea someone?? :)

Requirements: The OBD scanner would be in permanently connected state. So it should fit in the connector without affecting the body panel covering the obd port above the driver side foot well. Hence bluetooth is mandatory. Should be compatible with my vehicle.
After searching of obd scanners I settled on super mini elm327 v1.5.
But I am not sure whether it will fit inside the panel and allow me to close the panel. Moreover the site says its not compatible with TATA vehicles. So guys my questions are
In a permanently connected state, the device may consume some battery power IMO, not sure whether it will be minuscule or not as it will keep the bluetooth in ON condition. It does in my Wagon R Stingray. Not sure about Zest/Bolt. I just unplug it when not in use.

I have bought vgate icar3 recently on aliexpress..not sure why but it didnt work on my polo TDI ..it worked fine on santro xing :(.. any idea someone?? :)
Please share your views on vgate icar3.

Thanks

In a permanently connected state, the device may consume some battery power IMO, not sure whether it will be minuscule or not as it will keep the bluetooth in ON condition. It does in my Wagon R Stingray. Not sure about Zest/Bolt. I just unplug it when not in use.

Please share your views on vgate icar3.

Thanks
its a simple plug& play device just like any other obd2. It has got no buttons unlike the other version icar2. Fuctionality is same for both as per the description. Bought it for around $13 and checked it on my polo tdi and my friend's polo TDI too..both the cars couldn't read it..but surprisingly both the cars could read the cheaper version blue color obd2. Later when I checked it on santro xing , it worked. and then I checked on i20 diesel,it didnt work. I have decided to try icar2 as well but the seller on aliexpress confirmed me that it doesn't work for diesel. So, in my opinion these so called faster ARM chip equipped icar2&icar3 doesn't work for diesels if not for majoriy of diesels. those cheaper ones only best for majority of cars I guess but as per people's opinion, they won't last longer.

Top Bottom