Car Purchase Dilemma

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I currently drive Tata Zest RT XT purchased in Sep'14 clocked 39000 kms. It is serving me well and I love driving it. Now because of some health problems and worsening traffic conditions I am thinking of owning an automatic. Since my budget is 9.5 to 10 lacs on the road, I have finalized Tata Nexon Petrol AMT. Now the dilemma starts.

Nexon XZA+ has on road price of 10.59 lacs in Delhi. With current offer of free insurance (if Tata group employee refers me), it would come down to approx. 10.2 lacs.

I have approx 5.5 lacs in cash and FD. I got evaluated my Zest from few dealers. 2 lacs is the max they are quoting. I checked in cars24 website which is quoting 2-2.5, OBV is quoting 3-3.5. What is the practical price I can get for my Zest?

I don't prefer purchasing car on loan so I want to stick to that as much as possible. Now with the cash in hand and the evaluation of my Zest, I can have 7.5 to 9 lacs in my hand. I will still be short of some money which either I have to source from loan or wait for few months.

I am confident to save 50k per month for the car. Now should I go ahead with the purchase right now taking loan for rest of the amount or should I wait for few months? Waiting for few months will have some expenses on my Zest in terms of insurance renewal and servicing. Also there is a news of price hike from 1st Aug. However if I wait for couple of months I am hopeful that Tata may launch XZA variant which will be approx 90-100k cheaper than XZA+.

Please suggest what should I do in this scenario.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Re: Car purchase dillema

The dealers always quote less for used cars. Try if you can sell the car (Zest) through your known sources without going to dealers and you will definitely get more than what these dealers are quoting.

if delaying your new purchase means you will have to pay for new Insurance for your Zest and then service cost etc, as such then why don't you try for a Loan for the shortfall and buy the Nexon ?

I read in one of the threads that Tata vehicle prices are going to increase 2 to 2.2% from August 2018. Please check on this also.!

Last edited:

Hi All,

I currently drive Tata Zest RT XT purchased in Sep'14 clocked 39000 kms. It is serving me well and I love driving it. Now because of some health problems and worsening traffic conditions I am thinking of owning an automatic. Since my budget is 9.5 to 10 lacs on the road, I have finalized Tata Nexon Petrol AMT. Now the dilemma starts.

Nexon XZA+ has on road price of 10.59 lacs in Delhi. With current offer of free insurance (if Tata group employee refers me), it would come down to approx. 10.2 lacs.

I have approx 5.5 lacs in cash and FD. I got evaluated my Zest from few dealers. 2 lacs is the max they are quoting. I checked in cars24 website which is quoting 2-2.5, OBV is quoting 3-3.5. What is the practical price I can get for my Zest?

I don't prefer purchasing car on loan so I want to stick to that as much as possible. Now with the cash in hand and the evaluation of my Zest, I can have 7.5 to 9 lacs in my hand. I will still be short of some money which either I have to source from loan or wait for few months.

I am confident to save 50k per month for the car. Now should I go ahead with the purchase right now taking loan for rest of the amount or should I wait for few months? Waiting for few months will have some expenses on my Zest in terms of insurance renewal and servicing. Also there is a news of price hike from 1st Aug. However if I wait for couple of months I am hopeful that Tata may launch XZA variant which will be approx 90-100k cheaper than XZA+.

Please suggest what should I do in this scenario.
Keeping in mind your Health Issues, i would suggest you buy a comfortable car as soon as possible, even if it means taking a loan.
"Health is Wealth"
Also with the amount of money in hand,you just have to take a loan for 2.5/3 lacs where the EMI would be nominal.You can opt for a 3year loan where the interest amount would be less.
The XZA+ is a value for money variant, go ahead with it rather than waiting for a XZA.

Tata will be launching the Nexon automatic mid variants XMA in both Petrol and diesel priced at 7.5L and 8.53L for diesel, in the next few weeks I suppose.

Put up your zest on Olx, for a better deal, don't be in a hurry, take your time.

If you are OK with this, then its worth the wait.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Vinod

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Thanks nanofreak. TATA has already launched nexon XMA 2 weeks back. However it lacks on a lot of fronts.

I am working out on all resources where I can put my Zest on sale. If I can get a good deal within next week will try to get XZA+ with loan. Else need to wait for XZA because after price hike XZA+ will be too far from my budget.

Thanks nanofreak. TATA has already launched nexon XMA 2 weeks back. However it lacks on a lot of fronts.

I am working out on all resources where I can put my Zest on sale. If I can get a good deal within next week will try to get XZA+ with loan. Else need to wait for XZA because after price hike XZA+ will be too far from my budget.
You have wrong information on XMA launch, the prices and variant were revealed last week on 18/19th, official launch is yet to happen, atleast in kanpur, knowing Tata, so I guessed a couple of weeks.

Nairrk

Honoured Member

Yes, your are right. The XMA will not have all the features of XZA+

It is based on the XM manual variants of the Nexon, the automatics have the same exterior and interior features with the only major changes being the AMT badging and AMT specific instrument cluster.

Thread Starter #8

You have wrong information on XMA launch, the prices and variant were revealed last week on 18/19th, official launch is yet to happen, atleast in kanpur, knowing Tata, so I guessed a couple of weeks.
Oh. But here in Delhi I have the price list too and dealer is ready to sell the car.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Oh. But here in Delhi I have the price list too and dealer is ready to sell the car.
Yadav ji, If you haven't booked the car yet, then, suggest you to check the Eco-Sport petrol as well. Diesel Nexon is a very good car but when it comes in Petrol, it personally doesn't excite me even though the 1.2L Petrol engine with 3 cylinders is there in my Tigor too. Somehow, in Tigor the engine feel reasonably good but same isn't the scene with Nexon Petrol. I have driven both and for me Diesel Nexon fares much higher than petrol one. Secondly, I would suggest you to sell the old car to an individual by interacting and negotiating with him or her in person. This way you may negotiate a better deal. Do not sell your car via TML's used car wing as you'll be under-quoted.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #11
The dealers always quote less for used cars. Try if you can sell the car (Zest) through your known sources without going to dealers and you will definitely get more than what these dealers are quoting.

if delaying your new purchase means you will have to pay for new Insurance for your Zest and then service cost etc, as such then why don't you try for a Loan for the shortfall and buy the Nexon ?

I read in one of the threads that Tata vehicle prices are going to increase 2 to 2.2% from August 2018. Please check on this also.!
Thanks nairrk. I am doing exactly the same. Put up my car on OLX and getting better deals than dealer. One dealer confirmed nexon prices will increase by approx 23k. So trying to close the deal before 1st August. Let's hope for the best.

Keeping in mind your Health Issues, i would suggest you buy a comfortable car as soon as possible, even if it means taking a loan.
"Health is Wealth"
Also with the amount of money in hand,you just have to take a loan for 2.5/3 lacs where the EMI would be nominal.You can opt for a 3year loan where the interest amount would be less.
The XZA+ is a value for money variant, go ahead with it rather than waiting for a XZA.
Thanks SilverEyez for sound advice. I'm going with XZA+ rather than waiting for XZA. Considering the discount now on XZA+ and probable expenses later if I choose to wait, price difference between XZA+ and XZA becomes very narrow.

Yadav ji, If you haven't booked the car yet, then, suggest you to check the Eco-Sport petrol as well. Diesel Nexon is a very good car but when it comes in Petrol, it personally doesn't excite me even though the 1.2L Petrol engine with 3 cylinders is there in my Tigor too. Somehow, in Tigor the engine feel reasonably good but same isn't the scene with Nexon Petrol. I have driven both and for me Diesel Nexon fares much higher than petrol one. Secondly, I would suggest you to sell the old car to an individual by interacting and negotiating with him or her in person. This way you may negotiate a better deal. Do not sell your car via TML's used car wing as you'll be under-quoted.

Regards

Akash
Thanks Akash for the suggestion. Please call me by my handle mail2gsyadav or gsyadav. I am not used to listening ji with my name. And afterall in this platform we all are equal no matter which stage of life we are in.

I TDed ecosport as well but I am inclined to Nexon because of multiple reasons. I have been driving zest from past 4 years and it has never disappointed me. Zest has built certain affinity towards Tata. Harman music system is one of the best I have heard in this price range. Drive modes gives Nexon a little more fun. And Nexon is true VFMin comparison to Ecosport. Comparing feature wise Ecosport will burn bigger hole in my pocket.

No doubt Ecosport is a good car and I still remember Jun 2013 when I saw first ecosport on road and I was awestruck. It was a steal at the price point it was launched. But things have changed now.

Yes Nexon Petrol XZA+ should be the car/variant to buy. Selling the Zest directly to an individual and Getting the Nexon before the Price hike would be a better choice.
XMA Variant has a few added features over XM i suppose but still does not get a important Rear Defogger feature.
Ecosport AT is a good alternative but being a Torque Converter, Fuel economy takes a hit.

Looking forward to see your new car

Hi All,

Nice decision. Nexon AMT would be right choice for you. I have sent you a PM please check.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I TDed ecosport as well but I am inclined to Nexon because of multiple reasons. I have been driving zest from past 4 years and it has never disappointed me. Zest has built certain affinity towards Tata. Harman music system is one of the best I have heard in this price range. Drive modes gives Nexon a little more fun. And Nexon is true VFMin comparison to Ecosport. Comparing feature wise Ecosport will burn bigger hole in my pocket.
Drive Modes of Nexon are indeed a very good and worth appreciating feature. That does increase the fun-to-drive experience to a good extent. As far as ICE is concerned, I too have the Harman ICE in my car and the sound quality is good. Which color of Nexon do you plan to purchase?

Regards

Akash

Yadav ji, since you already own a Tata car, i am sure you will get loyalty discount as well. When I was in market to buy storme 5 years ago, i got loyalty discount of around 10K since we already had a Tata indigo at home.

Nexon XZA is a good choice. Go for it.

Top Bottom