Car Colours and Accidents

Statistics can throw up a lot of surprises. Consider this: An Australian study that looked at data from 1987 to 2004 has shown that black cars are 12% more likely to be involved in accidents than white cars.

Research has shown that the link between vehicle colour and safety - brighter, more visible colours are safer - can be used to make roads safer. However, the state has failed to implement a project it adopted three years ago, in which accident statistics including vehicle colour along with 200 other details were supposed to be collected from all fatal road mishaps.

The GIS-based Road Accident Data Management System (RADMS) introduced in 2009 was supposed to be handled by the State Traffic Planning Cell (STPC).

RADMS conceptualised elaborate collaboration between the departments of state transport, police and highways. It was introduced to study the cause of accidents, identify problem areas and find patterns that could help reduce the chances of similar accidents occurring in the future.

"Officials from the three departments have to go to the accident spot and collect a number of details," said an STPC official. "Tamil Nadu was the first state to introduce such a comprehensive system. However, we have not been able to collect the data properly because of a shortage of staff."

Once collected, reports from across the state were to be sent to a central server in the DGP's office on Kamraj Salai in Chennai. But the server too has been hit by several glitches.

"For two months from January, the internet connection was disrupted. The internet service provider said ants had eaten into the cables," the official said. In the districts, he said, eight-hour power cuts have hindered the transmission of data.

RADMS would have allowed the authorities to correct problem areas and evolve safer road practices. "Sometimes, the police file FIRs too quickly. Heavy vehicles are generally assumed to be the culprits in any accident. RADMS can give us a more scientific approach," another STPC official said.

According to the automobile industry, customers in the country are mostly unaware of the link between vehicle colour and safety.

"Studies have shown that white cars are the safest, but because commercial and government cars are usually white, people usually do not want to buy white vehicles," a Maruti official said.

Black is the most dangerous colour and silver comes a close second, with a 11% higher risk than white cars. Silver is also among the most preferred colours among car buyers in India. "Shades of grey and silver are the most popular because they look luxurious," the Maruti Suzuki official said.

Source: Times Of India

Hi, why red color more risky despite stronger wavelength ?
Color and accident theory only depends on ability of the other driver to notice it as per my experience.It has nothing to do with our driving skills.It can also depend on our ability to notice other cars.

Reason she quoted was red color was involved in more accidents than other cars, she said aggressive behaviour is also attached with red preferred persons. .
Our red fiat uno was chosen by my father who is a sane driver and not at all an agressive driver , but yes he is an aggressive person.

At dawn or dusk the risk ratio for black cars jumped to 47% more likely than white,
In the hours of darkness only red and silver cars were found to be significantly more risky than white by 10% and 8% respectively.
.}
AFA red is concerned I totally agree with above mentioned observations,reason inability to notice the car by other drivers especially those who are approching from behind.
This happened once with my UNO and twice with my manza, in the hours of darkness

Reason : The red tail lamp is already on ,then when we apply brakes one more red light is lit , and the red color of car leads to crowding of red. It is difficult for unseasoned driver to make out the break light is lit, hence they come and collide. For all three times those drivers appeared bit newbie to me. Seasoned drivers do control their cars in time usually but not always .I too once rear ended a red I 20 in my wagonr but thank god ,nothing much happened .

Observation about black color also appears to be true to me AFA dusk and dawn is concerned.I was fore warned by friends about black color, hence I use to drive my indigo always with high beam on during these periods only and use to shift to low beam only after getting signal from upcoming vehicle,this compounded with tail lamp on by default not only saved me from accident but also from scary moments.Whenever I forgot to do so , I suffered from scary moments.

In the night time if you forget to switch on lights , no dobt, black car gonna hit anywhere, otherwise there is no extra risk at all.

Last edited:

Top Bottom