Can Tube Tyres Be Converted to Tube-Less?

Thread Starter #1

lxi.

Suspended
Hello All.

I have 3 cars at home and 2 of them have Tubeless tyre, Which all know that are very convenient in case of Punctures.
My Alto runs on Stock JK Ultima XP 145/80/R12 Tube Tyre.
Recently it got punctured and as I went to nearby Mechanic (Local), He repaired the tyre and said-
"Do you know, These tube tyres can be converted into Tube Less ones!"
I was thinking that he's kidding. Then He said, Yes, I can do it.

I was a bit confused and scared that he will damage my existing tyres also, So said that will bring the car some other day when I am free.

He said "Ok. If possible, Bring on Sunday".
I gave him Rs.300 (Rs.300 for new tube+ Fixing). He also got his hand pierced by a pin (Double sided pin) as he was repairing the tyre. The pin was the cause of the puncture. So, I gave him Rs.300 without negotiations[cry].

Now the question is-
Is this OK if I convert my Stock tyres into Tubeless?
Has anyone here done it?
Please help.

[confused]

Yes, tube tyres can converted into tubless tyres just by adding the valve in the rims and removing tube from the tyres. I myself converted my indica and wagon r's tube tyres into tubeless and there was no problem in them. Infact, they performed better than the tubeless tyres. When I had to change the tyres, I bought new tube tyres (without tube) for Indica and tubeless tyres for wagon r. My Indica runs about 1500 Kms per month and wagon r runs less than 5000 kms per year. But wagon r got more punctures than indica. so i love tube tires converted into tubeless.

But, if your tyres are old and were punctured more than 3-4 times before then you should not convert them as you have to repair the old punctures before.

Thread Starter #3

lxi.

Suspended
sorry for the late reply. thanks dude for the suggestion. i have changed the tyres into tube less ones. how much did it cost you?

Guys please dont do it, i would absolutely suggest not to do this. Putting a tube in a tubeless tyre is still safer than converting a tube tyre to tube less. they are not desgined for this. If i find a local mechanic advising this i would kick his butt.

You are putting your lives and your dear ones at risk, simply put, the tubed tyres are not made with the beadings to hold on the rim - not by inherent design. It might hold on initially but not at all safe , humble request dont do it.

Thread Starter #5

lxi.

Suspended
WHAT! I Have got this done for 1000. the ride quality is decreased, i feel. i have my old tubes at home which are absolutely fine. should i change them back?
please advice.

yes please put on the tubes back asap. if you want tubeless tyres buy tubeless tyres no such conversion business - why put yourself at risk with such an elementary thing like tyres.

WHAT! I Have got this done for 1000. the ride quality is decreased, i feel. i have my old tubes at home which are absolutely fine. should i change them back?
please advice.
To be on safer side, get back the tubes inside. None of the manufacturer recommend removing tube from the 'tube type' tyre to make it 'tubeless'.

By construction both types have got only a minor change but that matters a lot in terms of safety. During heavy braking or cornering your current setup will fail. Please add your tubes ASAP.

Thread Starter #8

lxi.

Suspended
thank you guys for the valuable suggestions. today, i am at home, will go to the tyre repair shop and will let you know by evening. cheers.

Tube type tyres have different rim edges and tubeless tyre have different rim edges.

When converted like what you did , the tyre may be holding good for some small time. High risk. prone to air leaks.
Over all , its not designed for that which includes heat dissipation etc.

Tyres are the ultimate contact to the road and never ever compensate on them by doing these things and some uses china brand[good at controllable speed]

Also a tubeless tyre should always be removed only using proper tool/machine like tyre changer. so that its edges are not damaged.

Dear Lxi,
Converting tube tyre to tubeless is not a good idea and its not recommended too. But the other way(putting a tube into tubeless) is absolutely fine. Please put your tubes back. If you still need tubeless tyres please buy a complete set. It should cost you around 25K.
Never put your life at risk for a mere 25K. Our life is more worth than it..

Happy Motoring..
Thanks,
Bala

Thread Starter #11

lxi.

Suspended
thank you guys. i have given the car to nearby shop (trusted and well known). the man is taking 100rs for putting the tubes back. thanks. i will get the car by 12am.

cheers.

thank you guys. i have given the car to nearby shop (trusted and well known). the man is taking 100rs for putting the tubes back. thanks. i will get the car by 12am.

cheers.
Thanks buddy glad to see you are doing the right thing and safety is of paramount importance to you!! Safe driving!

Thread Starter #13

lxi.

Suspended
hey guys. the work is done. the car is fitted back with tubes and i do not need to worry about anything. thanks a lot once again for your valuable advice. i will be collecting the car in 15minutes.

cheers.

Thread Starter #15

lxi.

Suspended
Guys, now the car is with me. The ride has become more bumpy , which i personally feel good while absorbing bumps or bad roads. Now, there is nothing to worry about, right?
Our fellow member, sunny2525 has also changed the tube tyres to tubeless, please advice him to revert back is safety is the first priority.

Drive safe.

Top Bottom