Can FIAT Re-Establish Itself in India?

Thread Starter #1
The Linea has crossed cumulative sales of more than 10,000 units in the market while the recently launched Grande Punto hatchback has already sold more than 5000 units, according to a statement issued by the company today.

Speaking about the milestone, Mr. Rajeev Kapoor, CEO, Fiat India Automobiles Ltd said, “Fiat is a brand which has been deeply rooted in the Indian psyche for many decades now. Our dream is to see a lot many Fiat vehicles plying on Indian roads. The milestone achieved by Linea is a testimony that we are inching closer towards this goal. Now, we are confident that the Grande Punto will emulate if not exceed this success.”

Press Release

- Fiat India re- establishes itself with its stylish new cars
- The stylish sedan Linea clocks more than 10, 000 units in less than nine months
- Grande Punto, Fiat’s latest hatchback, also crosses 5000 units within three months of its launch

Mumbai, October 05, 2009: ‘Fiat’, known for its stylish cars and legacy, holds a special place in the hearts of many Indians. Many people in the country remember Fiat as their first car and a now a whole new generation of Indians are discovering the Fiat of their time and age. The year 2009 has been a revival of sorts for one of the country’s most endeared car brands. For the past few years Fiat has been preparing for this new phase in the Indian market and the efforts have met with tremendous response. The beginning of the year saw the launch of its stylish and elegant sedan, Linea which is at the core of Fiat’s success in recent times.

Linea within nine months of its launch has crossed the milestone of clocking more than 10,000 units. This figure becomes even more important considering that Fiat sold a total of 3550 cars in the corresponding period last year from January to September. Also, the Grande Punto has sold more than 5000 units within three months of its introduction.

Speaking about the milestone, Mr. Rajeev Kapoor, CEO, Fiat India Automobiles Ltd said, “Fiat is a brand which has been deeply rooted in the Indian psyche for many decades now. Our dream is to see a lot many Fiat vehicles plying on Indian roads. The milestone achieved by Linea is a testimony that we are inching closer towards this goal. Now, we are confident that the Grande Punto will emulate if not exceed this success.”

About Fiat India Automobiles Ltd:

Fiat India Automobiles Limited (FIAL) is a 50-50 Industrial Joint Venture between Fiat Group Automobiles S. p. A., (Fiat) and Tata Motors Limited (Tata) originally incorporated on January 02, 1997. The company employs about 2775 blue & white collar employees and is located at Ranjangaon in the Pune District of Maharashtra. The definitive agreement of the Joint Venture was signed in October 11, 2007. The board of directors for this company comprises of five nominees each from Fiat and Tata.

The state-of-the-art facility at Ranjangaon, which is owned by FIAL, a joint venture company, is capable of producing 200,000 cars and 300,000 engines, besides 3, 00,000 parts & accessories. Currently manufacturing the Palio Stile 1.1, 1.6 models, Linea and now the Grande Punto. The facility also manufactures Fiat’s successful 1.3 litre Multijet diesel engines and 1.2 & 1.4 litre Fire gasoline engine. Apart from Fiat cars, the facility will also produce Tata passenger and next generation cars with investment exceeding € 650 Million. The plant provides direct and indirect employment to more than 4,000 people.

Yes!

Atleast for me! With futuristic models & extraordinary styling FIAT is going to make a close move with Maruti & Hyundai very soon!

But a small gap which i feel is FIAT should opt out of JV with TATA motors & establish its own market here, because TATA itself doesn't have a great name in Passenger cars :)

Arun

Suspended
Yes definitely.They have beautiful cars in their hands right now. They should pull in the new Sienna which is doing rounds of the European markets with some "mixed-fuel" kinda technology.

I so completely agree with Rajeev Kapoor's statement that Fiat is somehow build into the Indian's psyche.

I agree too, they have beautiful looking cars.

Cheers,
Vroom

Yes!

Atleast for me! With futuristic models & extraordinary styling FIAT is going to make a close move with Maruti & Hyundai very soon!

But a small gap which i feel is FIAT should opt out of JV with TATA motors & establish its own market here, because TATA itself doesn't have a great name in Passenger cars :)
I second this. I think FIAT should come out of TATA JV. But need to make sure that they have enough network for good ASS. That is the key. I think, Indian now started liking FIAT who had ruined their names earlier thorough stupid JVs / moves [clap]

Thread Starter #8
My view on this is different.
TATA has reach to masses. I know A.S.S is concern, but i don't think FIAT will be able to match the reach of Tata.
What FIAT should do is to make sure their customers are happy. Right now they should concentrate only on making/launching more cars in India.

Well Fiat India is surely on right track, first with Linea and now with Punto,what is really missed is its own marketing but would surely take time, so till that happens the company should try to make better customer experience, more efforts in ASS department and improve quality as well, small small niggles isnt what Fiat is known for.

My view on this is different.
TATA has reach to masses. I know A.S.S is concern, but i don't think FIAT will be able to match the reach of Tata.
What FIAT should do is to make sure their customers are happy. Right now they should concentrate only on making/launching more cars in India.

Hey RSM,

I agree to your view!

TATA has a great dealership network next to Maruti & Hyundai in India.

FIAT Came to India with a great plan. But some how due to poor service at TATA service centres, makes a good company ruins it future!

If not now, atleast in next few years after establishing their own presence in India, FIAT should opt out of JV !

Arun

Suspended
FIAT faced a drought in sales of the Palio and the Sienna.They did not bother to launch new cars considering it did not have a stronghold in India. Once they know they have good cars and a good partner in TATA they should do just fine. FIAT's surpass Suzuki's in quality and finish but there are niggles which the A.S.S can't tweak as Maruti A.S.S can.

FIAT A.S.S has improved a lot after with the tie up with tata's. Spares are readily available and are not costly.

This time FIAT in India is very serious

I just got a news that FIAT Punto's spares are cheaper than Hyundai i10's spares [shock]

This is the official news from FIAT employee & he said he will send me the report soon! so waiting on it :)

I just got a news that FIAT Punto's spares are cheaper than Hyundai i10's spares [shock]

This is the official news from FIAT employee & he said he will send me the report soon! so waiting on it :)
I'm not sure its cheaper than i10 or not. But i found diesel Punto marginally cheaper than its rivals, including Swift. But the difference is very less.

I think the showroom should have the spares list.

But, i remember looking at the Logan's spare prices during its launch, which was considerably less than all its rivals. But now, the prices have gone upwards.

Top Bottom