Buying Merc SLK from Mumbai and Using in Kolkata

Thread Starter #1
I want to import car from mumbai to kolkata

can any one give me some suggestion how do import car from mumbai:confused:

thanks

Re: Purchasing a Car from Mumbai and Using in Kolkata

One can use their car within other states for a duration of one month after which transfer is necessary failure to which can lead to your car being impounded.
What are the pollution norms for your city?
How old is your car?
All those questions need to be answered to get the procedure to move forward.

Thread Starter #3

thanks superbad

i want to buy a used car from mumbai its 2005 model benz. i try our local dealers but they can't give me any suggestion. i search it on google then i find my car

thanks superbad

i want to buy a used car from mumbai its 2005 model benz. i try our local dealers but they can't give me any suggestion. i search it on google then i find my car
i am not sure about the regulation for kolkata city.

better ask someone among the RTO if a 2005 car could be registered?

i dont see a problem though.

I dond think it would be a big problem. you can get you car registered in Kolkota. But before buying the caar, get all queries cleared from RTO for being on the safer side.

350Z

Core Team

I want to import car from mumbai to kolkata. can any one give me some suggestion how do import car from mumbai
Please remember that Kolkata follows the BS 4 Emission norms. Therefore, it is not possible to transfer the car if it doesn’t complies with these emission standards. Also, it does not make much sense to purchase a car from Mumbai and use in Kolkata anyway unless it is unique or too rare to find. What model is it? I'm curious.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #7

Please remember that Kolkata follows the BS 4 Emission norms. Therefore, it is not possible to transfer the car if it doesn’t complies with these emission standards. Also, it does not make much sense to purchase a car from Mumbai and use in Kolkata anyway unless it is unique or too rare to find. What model is it? I'm curious.

Drive Safe,
350Z
thanks for your reply & suggestion . its Mercedes-Benz SLK-350. i cant find it in kolkata [sad]

Last edited:

@pinekel - From my experience, in the 90s my uncle brought a Omni van from Gurgaon to Kolkata (transferable job). He used the same number till it was time to renew road tax. At the time of renewal, he had it updated at Kolkata RTO and got WB number etc. However that was in the 90s, so not sure if that has changed. However I do see quite a number of other state number plates at the office parking and quite sure these people have been here for long.
So probably the assumption that you have to change the numbers within one month of bringing the car here might not hold good in all cases (for e.g what happens if the person is on temporary assignment). However there might be a process of waiver.
Now on the question of registering a old vehicle. I think its possible if the car is going to be used for personal use only. My family had and maintained a 1986 maruti omni van (till 2012 - 26 years) and never had any issue with road tax/regn renewal.
In fact there are lots of vintage cars that are road legal and they are not even BS 1 [:)]. So the process exists. Just get in touch with the RTO at Beltala or with a reputed agent if you are not in Kolkata and he will tell you the process.

350Z

Core Team

Now on the question of registering a old vehicle. I think its possible if the car is going to be used for personal use only. My family had and maintained a 1986 maruti omni van (till 2012 - 26 years) and never had any issue with road tax/regn renewal.
Here the concern is not about registration but the state transfer. RTO in Kolkata would not accept a car if it does not complies with the emission standards. That is what happened when I was looking for a used Mercedes W210. If I had bought it, I would have wanted to transfer the registration from U.P to Delhi. However, the broker clearly refused since the car did not complied with the latest emission norms. I am not sure about R171 SLK though. I’d suggest to inquire with reliable agents.

Drive Safe,
350Z

as long as the owner had the car prior to the regulations in place , there should be no problem till 15 years.
after 15 years one has to take their vehicle to the RTO to pass a road fitness test for the vehicle.

but on account of transferring the ownership , the law is pretty clear. no transfers of lower emission is allowed.

however if the owner has multiple addresses , the other being outside the city limits he can transfer the ownership to a person who resides on that alternative address. the person then has to approach that respective RTO lying in that jurisdiction..

Thread Starter #15
another i found at delhi from benz india website its slk 200, 2011 model. but it cost more than the old one. suggest me emission norms, rto etc. i really love that car. but the law prevent me from buying this [sad]

Top Bottom