Buying a Used Amplifier – Worth it?

Thread Starter #1
If someone is on a tight budget, is buying a used Amp recommended? What should one watch out for, if installation and auditioning prior to purchase is not an option? Does an Amp "wear out" like e.g. speakers or tyres over time due to usage, or does it maintain original quality throughout it's life until it just dies one day?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i sold my amp to a friend of mine [;)] but yeah check if it has been opened or not. maybe the original things are replaced with local things and you might not experience the real power of the amp.

and there are lots and lots of duplicates in the market. you can't differentiate which one is real and which is fake.

Ad!tya

Suspended
If you are low on budget, they I think there's nothing bad in getting a used amp.
BTW from whom are you getting it from?

Re: Buying a Used Amplifier – Worth it?

If someone is on a tight budget, is buying a used Amp recommended? What should one watch out for, if installation and auditioning prior to purchase is not an option? Does an Amp "wear out" like e.g. speakers or tyres over time due to usage, or does it maintain original quality throughout it's life until it just dies one day?
What if post installation with first boom your amp goes mum?

Electronics devices like amp has somewhat 10years of life expectancy unless otherwise
1. Tampered or tweaked
2.Repaired by Unauthorized personnel
3.manhandled or over-driven

If you can check and confirm the above, then a second hand Amp could be a steal.

What is your budget and what type of amplifier (mono/2/4 channel) are you buying? I would recommend buying a new one since it is tough to know the condition of the used amplifier.

Thread Starter #6

i sold my amp to a friend of mine [;)] but yeah check if it has been opened or not. maybe the original things are replaced with local things and you might not experience the real power of the amp.

and there are lots and lots of duplicates in the market. you can't differentiate which one is real and which is fake.

What if post installation with first boom your amp goes mum?

Electronics devices like amp has somewhat 10years of life expectancy unless otherwise
1. Tampered or tweaked
2.Repaired by Unauthorized personnel
3.manhandled or over-driven

If you can check and confirm the above, then a second hand Amp could be a steal.

What is your budget and what type of amplifier (mono/2/4 channel) are you buying? I would recommend buying a new one since it is tough to know the condition of the used amplifier.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Since the overwhelming vote is leaning heavily on the side of caution, I have decided against buying USED and will buy a new one as and when my liquidity situation allows. For those who were curious, I was looking to buy a 4 ch amp to get better quality sound out of my Rockford Fosgate comps and co-axials driven by a stock ANHC (Vtec) Alpine HU.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Since the overwhelming vote is leaning heavily on the side of caution, I have decided against buying USED and will buy a new one as and when my liquidity situation allows. For those who were curious, I was looking to buy a 4 ch amp to get better quality sound out of my Rockford Fosgate comps and co-axials driven by a stock ANHC (Vtec) Alpine HU.
That is a good decision. I am sure you wont regret the wait!

Top Bottom