Buying a Small Automatic Car For Daily Max 12 Km Run in Bangalore

Thread Starter #1
Hello all TAIers,

Writing after long time as have been caught up between lot of stuff including 3-4 hours commute to/from office :(

The topic is as mentioned in the subject, the use case is wife has to drop and pickup our kid to/from school 6 days a week. The school is 3 KM away and opting for bus is ruled out due to many constraints.

We still are enjoying Punto diesel (7 years now) but wife is refusing to drive a manual and that too the car which feels big while driving and with turning radius and all.

So for the above mentioned requirement, we are planning to buy a small automatic car. So far we have seen offerings by Maruti and my wife seems inclined towards Alto K10 AMT (VXI).

But having experience with TAI in the past with so many experts around, I thought better to get your comments before closing.

• Budget: (Eg: Upto Rs.8 Lakh), New car preferred.
  • Top 5 Priorities:
    • Automatic,
    • lower ownership headache, easy resale with decent value,
    • would prefer 2 front airbags and ABS but if not available, only driver side airbag too is ok,
    • easy to maneuver & park.
    • Back seat should be able to accommodate child seat (here I have doubt on Alto).
  • Monthly Running: Max 300 Km
  • Fuel Type: Petrol, Automatic
  • Purpose Type: Daily 12 km in city, 1x1, 2x2 lane roads.
  • Seating Capacity: 1 Adult, 2 kids.
  • Segment Type: Small hatchback.
Target is to buy by either March first week max, or then can wait till May mid.

Please provide your opinion, comments.

Thanks!

I would recommend the new Suzuki WagonR AMT, Ignis Delta/Zeta AMT or the Swift ZXI AMT (More inclined towards the Swift). Ignis and Swift gets ISOFIX child seat mounts as well

Hyundai Santro AMT is also a logical choice although AMT is smoother as per the journos, do remember its a new in-house developed unit which needs to stand the test of time on our Indian Roads. And thats why I would not recommend the Santro straight away. And yes, I serious hate the looks of the new Santro

Tata Tiago AMT is also a good choice although not as fuss free of a ownership experience like the Suzukis or Hyundais but well, Tata has changed for the good.

A correction for title - this thread is for "CAR" and not "cat" [embarass], a typo I didn't notice and looks like not able to edit now :(
Message the Mods to change the Title of the Thread

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
If you want to buy the Maruti car, then try either Celerio AMT or the new Wagon R (avoid Alto K10).
Since your budget is upto 8 lakh, you may even check on Tata Tiago or Maruti Swift.

Suggest, short list few cars and do test drive them and take a decision.!

Thread Starter #8
Hi all,
Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

8 L budget is the max limit but as you mentioned I may get car ticking all my requirements at lower value so things look godd here :)

Regarding
If you want to buy the Maruti car, then try either Celerio AMT or the new Wagon R (avoid Alto K10).
!
Can you please clarify on "avoid Alto K10" ?

About Santro, is this not some less tasted engine? Also, will it tick the
expectation?

For same reason, though I would have preferred TIAGO, there is reluctance to go with TATA.

Thanks.

Hi all,

8 L budget is the max limit but as you mentioned I may get car ticking all my requirements at lower value so things look godd here :)

Regarding

expectation?

For same reason, though I would have preferred TIAGO, there is reluctance to go with TATA.

Thanks.
When I was in the Market for a automatic car, I was given the option of Suzuki Alto K10 AMT, WagonR AMT, Celerio AMT and Hyundai Grand i10 AT.
Alto K10 is a great small car but that's it. Rear seat space is non-existent, low boot space, No Rear Power windows as standard, Seat comfort is low.
WagonR AMT was a logical choice but I was not into the tall boy looks and Celerio AMT felt like a better compromise.
Times have changed now, with the new WagonR, its a awesome package overall.
As per as Grand i10 AT was concerned, was not interested in its sub 10 kmpl fuel economy.

As per as the Santro AMT goes, the online reviews say the AMT to be smooth and well implemented compared to Suzuki/Tata, But, since its a new thing from Hyundai, it needs to prove its worth. I recently came across a report of Santro AMT issues and Hyundai's lack of immediate solution on Team-Bhp forum. So better to wait and not to end up as Beta tester.

As per as Tata Tiago AMT goes, I would suggest to atleast visit a Tata showroom first and ask for a test drive. As per the ownership reports goes, there are a few Tiago ownership reviews in our forum

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Its a good car, but the problem is the space inside, especially rear seat. I wanted to buy Celerio, 2 years back, but ended up in buying Alto K10 thinking that both cars come with the same engine as such why should pay more money for Celerio. But after buying, I felt the Alto inside space was a bit small. Also, when I was in the market to sell the Alto K10, most offers received from the buyers were a rate for Alto 800 as none want a K10 (in 2nd hand purchase). I had to wait almost 2 months to get little better than 800 rates,,

Hi all,

Regarding

expectation?

Thanks.
If you are living in a bigger city like Bangalore I would say Tiago is not that hard to maintain. If not then it depends on your local dealers. Also Tata Tiago cost of maintenance is definitely lower than rivals. I also expect decent resale as Tiago is a fairly successful car. You should like and find the car comfortable whatever you're buying. Especially if you are planning to keep your car for long then resale won't matter too much and you should not keep it as your first criteria.

Top Bottom