Buying a Premium Hatch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it comes down to Jazz Vs Fabia i will prefer the Jazz! You have covered all the points really well already , the reason i will spend 1 Lakh extra for the Jazz is the peace of mind and ownership and also relatively cheaper maintenance compared to Skoda. Jazz will bring a smile to your face always!

And also i don't consider the Fabia as a premium hatch now after the price cut.

Thread Starter #17
One update:

Tonight I got an e-mail from Fiat. I am replicating the same here:

Dear Sir/Madam,
Greetings from Tata Motors !!

We thank you for showing interest in Fiat car. I hope, by this time you have been contacted through one of our Tata-Fiat dealerships.
We would like to know the Pre-sales and Sales experience you had with our dealerships.

In case of any query, pls. feel free to contact undersigned.

Warm regards,
RAHUL JAIN
Product Manager (Fiat Brands)
Tata Motors
Sector-29, NH-8, Gurgaon - 122001

My reply:

Dear Sir,

When I decided to look for a petrol hatch a month back, Fiat Punto 1.4 was on top of my list. I requested for test drive of the car a month back. But unfortunately same is yet to materialize. After that I have taken test drive of Beat, Fabia & Jazz- all within a week of TD request. Local Tata Motors dealer did contact me. But he categorically stated that TD of Punto 1.4 is not possible. According to him this car is not available with him as it has no demand. I was disheartened but still I requested for TD Punto 1.2 so that atleast I can judge the ergonomics, interiors etc. There have been mixed reviews about Punto 1.4 so for me TD was essential. I did not hear from him again- so I filled up another TD request. This time no call has been made to me regarding TD.

I am very much disappointed with the response so far regrading Punto 1.4. On the other hand, I am getting regular feed back from Skoda, Honda & Chevy guys updating me about new offers and scheme. As a car enthusiast I developed certain liking for Fiat cars and that is the reason why I decided to apprise you about the ground situation. Otherwise, I am not too keen about wasting my time and effort complaining about a nonchalant dealer.

Lets see what happens!

Nuvo,
Looks are subjective and definitely not head turner but Figo D 1.4D Tech makes perfect sense. OTR Delhi with upgrade to alloy wheel will cost 6.20-6.25.
Fabia and Polo are superbly built but former have more space, bigger boot. Polo: I found more style than realsubstance.
Jazz make sense but this is Petrol and will cost you more than 7.23 despite all these discounts.Registration should be 7 %of price.
I booked Fabia Petrol with OTR 6 L but then decided against it and getting delivery of Figo Titanium Diesel tomorrow. Figo does not have tilt and reach adjustable steering but i did not find any problem what so ever and driving position was spot on.
Figo is frugal,scores high on FE over Polo and Fabia. Turbo lag is not evident and this makes it derivable in city traffic.
FIGO is VFM. Polo and Punto are head turner but in real life after some time car is utility,you will get dents, scratches (sound scary). SO go for Figgy (FIGO) Fabia and Polo(Same engine) have huge tourbo lagin diesel.
Cheers

Thread Starter #19
@brandoo:

Congrats for getting a Figo D. Please start a ownership review ASAP.

I am looking for a petrol car and not diesel one as my running would be limited. Figo D is a very good car and I would have certainly consider it had I been looking for a diesel. Figo P on the other hand does appeal to me much. The engine is neither peppy nor frugal.

Considering your requirements the Punto would have suited you the best. But the attitude that the FIAT dealer has shown is a crystal clear indication that their after sales service wont be good.
I think you should totally go for the Jazz. Its efficient, has a good engine, is exclusive, spacious and reliability is top notch. Being a Honda it wont have any maintenance issues. Also you are getting a good deal on the Jazz.

Your experience with dealer is not good and I would suggest avoid Punto.

Jazz is one of the best Petrol car in Hatch available. If price is not an issue, I would recommend Jazz over any hatchback. However, Jazz price will come down, after City price cut, this is imminent. Do wait for few months, if you can.

Also, you can try new Toyota Liva s well. I assume you will get the dealers nearby.

Thread Starter #22
After getting married and considerably shrinking my saving, I have come to the realization that Jazz would be out of my reach. I can not stretch my budget beyond 6L (on road). So I have shortlisted (sort of) Fabia & Micra. Rising fuel cost has shut the door on Punto 1.4. And for Liva, I do not feel it is desirable enough to command 6L pricing.

Does anybody has any first hand or solid info about Micra : how does it drive, comfort factor etc?

I am planning a TD of Micra but any prior info is welcome.

Check out our official road test review at TAI buddy.

Fabia has the premium feel with nice and roomy interiors. A.S.S both are not very strong either.

Out of these two i would pick Fabia.

I am not too sure about Micra but Fabia is a good buy. Take TD of both the cars on same day. Then you will be able to make out a difference immediately. But before you jump to any conclusion, please check about the A.S.S of both these manufacturers. Things are improving for Skoda but not at the desired pace one would want to.

All the best.

Nuvo,
I have test driven Fabia and its pure delight to drive.Car gear box is fun to work with, build are of top notch quality, roomy interiors.
Beat is no match to Fabia. I think you are pairing wrongly with Fabia.
Figo: My friends boughtfigo P and have driven more than 1500 kms so far and getting FE of 10 (100 % City and AC).
Fabia you will give you FE of 12-13 with AC in city. Car's handling is superb, pulls effortlessly from 30 kms/h in 4th gears, this implies, you will have minimal gear shift in city traffic.
My bet is on Fabia, you will get good offer. I was offered 6L for elegance model with mats, mud flaps, Teflon coating in Delhi with 185/65/R 14, Goodyear GT3 tyres and one more stuff, car cover. Go for fabia, you will never regret with you decision. For further query you can write to me on shivsidh@gmail.com

ASS: I had the price list of Skoda's spare parts along with maruti, ford, mahindra for logan, there was not much difference. Lets say 20 % costly than maruti but are of very good quality. Service interval 15000, maruti/ford 10000, Maruti: normal oil, Figo: Semi synthetic, Fabia: Synthetic oil. you account for these and you will never find skoda costly. Skoda have more than 75 dealers, ford have 120+, Nissan: nothing to write about.

Ford is no good when comes to ASS where as skoda are trying hard to improve their services through customer support, feedbacks etc.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #26
Friends,

Took back to back TD of Micra & Fabia (both top end petrol) yesterday. My observations are as under:

Micra:

1. Looks are subjective but orange Micra is very catchy for sure. Its for those who like their cars to stand out. I belong to the same group and hence feel Micra is better looking than Fabia. But a red Fabia is also very very good looking. Only grouse is that recent face lift did not freshen up the side profile and rear. So its beginning to look slightly dated.

2. Low end torque is a issue in Micra (like Jazz). But its refined at low rpm. Almost feel like a regular 4 cylinder.

3. Seat height adjust & steering adjustment for reach is missing. But front seat is comfortable enough and with tilt adjustment of steering, finding a suitable driving position is very easy. Clutch has short range and hence comfortable (for me).

4. I am a person with avg height (175 cm) and even after adjusting front seat to my comfort, found there is decent leg room available at rear. I was skeptical about rear seat comfort (cushioning & under thigh support), but it was not an issue for me. To be sure, I repeatedly asked my better half about rear seat comfort and it was Ok for her too. Seat recline angle was also good. But head rest would be missed by people with good height.

5. Interiors: I was thinking that excessive beige/ greige would play a spoil sport but good quality material more than made up for it. Again funkyness of design layout also helped to break the monotony of beige/greige. Orange colour scheme looks good and switch/controls felt premium.

6. On road: steering is light but not as scary as say Santro & i10. Turning radius is probably as good as Santro. GC could be an issue in bad road. G/B felt positive but is not butter smooth, not much to complaint though. Clutch feel is very good and no jerk felt during acceleration. As mentioned previously, weak bottom end is irritating but smoothness/refinement in part of transmission, riding & handling make up for it.

7. Price: Presently, insurance is free and Micra XV will cost around 5.70 L on road. Booking amount is 10k & orange car would take 10-12 days. Other colours are readily available.

Comparison with Fabia

Please not that this comparison is strictly personal and I have absolutely no intention to belittle any car. In fact I love both these cars (and also Jazz :).

1. Looks: Micra is a winner for us (me and her) and my entire relatives adore the cute looks of Micra - guess its in our bood (and also in her). Micra is iOS while Fabia is Symbian.

2. Build quality: No comparison: Fabia is a tank while Micra is a car.

3. Interior: It is tricky, Fabia boast of better quality of material than Micra (which also have very good quality). But design/layout is a let down. AC knobs looks really outdated and my wife will sue me if I declare Fabia's interiors better than Micra. Guess I have to agree with her. Fabia feels solid but slightly boring.

4. Comfort: Fabia has better support, most comfortable seats among all the hatches I have TD'ed. Micra is good but Fabia is better. No second thought about that. But rear seat comfort is tricky. Fabia has better under thigh support & leg room but I found rear seat angle little too stiff. In boot space again, Fabia has distinctive edge.

5. On road: Fabia is quicker off the block, better steering feel, better ride quality, better handling. Only negatives are long turning radius and refinement of engine at higher rpm. Engine has good drivability but runs out of breath quicker than Micra. In open stretch/highway Micra will definitely overtake a Fabia but for city drive Fabia has more grunt. In short:

For highway: Fabia has the dynamics but not the engine while Micra has the dynamics but not the engine. And situation is completely reversed for urbane driving.

But if roads are bad than Fabia is a far better chocie. Fortunately, roads in my locality are in top notch condition and so for me scores are level in this case.

6. Ownership: Micra has a 10k service interval while Fabia has got 15k interval. As per dealer Nissan has adopted child part policy for Micra and so it would be definitely easy to own. As evident from extended warranty clause, Fabia will cost around 12K more for a 2+2 year warranty.

7. Features: Here Micra wins hand down for me. Yes it misses the alloys, but Fabia's 14" alloys are also a turn off for me. In any case I will change the alloys. As per dealer, Nissan has no warranty issue for alloy change, but Skoda has. Micra has auto/ electric mirror, rear wiper/defogger and to top it off the brilliant smart key. Also Music system of Micra is better than Fabia as far as clarity of sound goes.

8. VFM: With 40k less price, expected less maintenance cost, slightly more efficiency & better features, Micra is more VFM than Fabia IMHO.

Conclusion: The driver in me wants Fabia to own, but practicality aspects has reminded me again and again for Micra. It is unanimous choice of rest of family. Tomorrow I am gonna book one and as of now it should be a orange Micra XV. Done.

Nuvo,

I had advised someone same long back on here or other auto forum.
Fabia's spare are not very costly, they used to be, service interval is 15000, with synthetic oil, service cost around 5.5-6.
Fabia is a terrific highway handler, I drove her (P) on Delhi Gurgaon Expressway at the speed of 120 + and car was really pulling effortlessly. I tested car from low speed in 4th gear and I was amazed with pulling capability of car.

My advise you go for Fabia and will never regret your decision.
Friend of mine is getting 13-14 FE in city with old MPI 1.4 Petrol while new Fabia is 1.2 HTP 3 cyc, this implies, new fabia is more efficient than the older on.

That is a pretty nice comparison Nuvo. I think practically yes Micra is a much better deal but Fabia is a driver's car , it will satisfy the driver inside me! Both does not have very good reputation for A.S.S so if it was me i will pick Fabia!

@ Cooldhaya,

ASS is a problem with Nissan more than Skoda, now a days Skoda have more service stations though nothing in comparison with Maruti, and are trying hard to improve services and customer satisfaction.

More service stations do not mean better service IMHO. Yes, things at Skoda are improving but are they at the desired pace ? Probably, people who had experienced it before and comparing it now can answer.

What's your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom