Buying a Diesel Car Under 8 Lakh – Ford Fiesta Classic

Thread Starter #16
Re: Buying a Diesel Car Under 8 Lakh – Ford Fiesta Classic

Dear Raju,
If Vento and Rapid are out of the list, the new Dzire diesel is the car to go for. It's a fun to drive car. I know you are looking for a change but you definitely should consider. @ 7.5 lakhs ex showroom the Dzire ZDI fits your budget nicely. You get all the necessary features including ABS, EBD and brake assist which you will not get with the base variants of the cars in the next segment. The interiors look good too. Definitely the best diesel car in the segment. Go for it with your eyes shut.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Vento in Pune would cost me 9,25,000/- after all the discounts/corporate offer/excha bonus.So this becomes totally out of budget.

"New Dzire diesel" - Dealer says diesel variant not available for TD ..Difficult for me to buy a car before taking TD..

Rapid - Haven't got the price

Had been to Nissan showroom to see Sunny Diesel - Out of budget.

Last day of decision making between - i20 and Fiesta. let's see. Both are from diff. segment. am open to both.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #18

Go for the Fiesta Classic diesel in this budget. We bought a Fiesta Classic CLXI diesel last year in May and it has clocked around 15k kms and has been trouble free and returning superb mileage in excess of 20kmpl all the time. Driving pleasure and handling is unmatched in this price range.Some might say it looks outdated but to give you my personal opinion Fiesta Classic even today looks way better than the likes of Etios, Manza or chopped boot Dzire. Total Service cost till date in one year of ownership after three services has been around 4.5k.
GM88,

If taken I would be able to afford 1.4Lxi Diesel Current price in Pune is 813377/- and CLXI is 862593/-

Actually 800000/- is already strectched budget...

i20 Magna DSL OPT is 774505..

So just final thinking ...

Regards,

I'm a little disappointed. Maybe you should TD the diesel Swift hatchback to get a feel of the engine. And then TD the petrol Dzire to know more about the car and its features. I know it sounds weird but it's better than nothing. If you want safety features such as ABS you'll have to buy the SXI variant of Fiesta @ 8.5 ex showroom. Maruti's ASS is a lot better than Ford's in India. Especially since you are buying a diesel you should be aware of the maintenance costs as well. Maruti is a lot better in that sense too.

I'm telling you once again, Dzire diesel is the best in the segment. I'm not a Maruti fanboy (I do not own a single Maruti car). It's all up to you. But take a good look at the Dzire before you remove it from the list.

Thread Starter #20

I'm a little disappointed. Maybe you should TD the diesel Swift hatchback to get a feel of the engine. And then TD the petrol Dzire to know more about the car and its features. I know it sounds weird but it's better than nothing. If you want safety features such as ABS you'll have to buy the SXI variant of Fiesta @ 8.5 ex showroom. Maruti's ASS is a lot better than Ford's in India. Especially since you are buying a diesel you should be aware of the maintenance costs as well. Maruti is a lot better in that sense too.

I'm telling you once again, Dzire diesel is the best in the segment. I'm not a Maruti fanboy (I do not own a single Maruti car). It's all up to you. But take a good look at the Dzire before you remove it from the list.
I am going to ask one more dealer of Maruti for TD.

Thanks

Found this on youtube
Etios vs Swift Dzire vs Manza vs Verito diesel comparo - Part 2 - YouTube

This should give you some idea about the car. Since you are upgrading from the 800, the rear leg room (it is better than the old swift now in that new swift shown) and the smaller boot space are unlikely to cause discomfort.

Fiesta Classic is likely to be discontinued in the near future. It's a good car though. Nobody will say that it's not good. But you may face ASS issues and high maintenance costs + the high price tag for the variant with ABS and airbags.

I forgot to mention one car/MUV. Ertiga! It also has a good diesel engine. Consider that also. Your family will like the LUV and the space it offers.
Take a look Maruti Suzuki Ertiga

Thread Starter #22
Thanks billion$kid ,

I have taken TD of i20 today ( Mgna Opt Diesel).Did not like the noise in cabin.A bit confused and so thinking to postpone.Would miss the timeline ..but would surelly would like to wait for Dutser's price.

I like Ertiga ..but price is high for Diesel variant.

Regards

i20 is not a value for money car. The old models had many problems too which the company claims they have completely ironed out in the latest models.

It's always wise to wait when you're looking to buy a new car. Duster is definitely a good option. Hope they get the pricing right this time. Otherwise Ford's Ecosport might steal the show with its efficient petrol engine and better image.

Wish you all the best.

Thread Starter #24
billion$kid ,

Thanks ...I have planned to wait for few days and then would decide.

Regards,

I have to book a diesel car next week.I am not able to finalize.

• Cash 3-4 lakh , ready to take loan max of 4 lakh.Total of 8 lakh for a car.
  • Segment - Am open to any (except Tata/Maruti) till max of 8lakh
  • Planned Fuel - Only Diesel ( I have cal. diff etc etc..)..So diesel is finalized
  • TD taken - Fiesta Classic Diesel / Etios / i20 Sportz / Liva / Figo

If anyone has any bad experience with Fiesta Classic Diesel..please let me know..

Thanks,
Raju
The downside is that Ford is considering stopping Fiesta Classic's production sometime in near future and it may feel dated to a few. Otherwise, on the mileage front, it easily ticks the boxes.
Welcome to TAI, If boot is not a major requirement for you then you can go for Figo itself and save some cash as both come from same platform and share loads of mechanicals with each other.
HI raju, you can also check Tata Manza
Mid variant Aura is about 7.77 L on-road in pune
Mileage is about 16-17 in city and 20 -21 on highway use.
Also there is 60k discount till June end.
@Raju:
Fiesta classic is the car to go for.
There are some minor issues,but if you drive the car sensibly then it will keep you happy for at least 60-70k kms.
After that Fiesta requires some sensors etc change which costs about 20-30k overall,rest everything is okay with the car.
Ford Classic Diesel - It was a good ride.But now in confusion as people say it could become outdated.Which in turn could result in costlier maintenance.I don't like the looks of Newer Fiesta.
Fiesta Classic or Manza are the obvious choices. Fiesta is a better option.

I would suggest you to look at Toyota Etios as well. At around the 8lakh price you get a sedan with ABS and airbags(which you will not get with Fiesta for the price). The mileage is class leading, i believe(19-20+ in the city).
How about new Dezire ? do you like that? But is has long long waiting period.
Looks and finish of both the cars are bad.

It's simple buddy if you think that boot space is important then go ahead with fiesta otherwise i would go with i20.
Even if I didn't need the space, I'd still go with the Fiesta. Fiesta is a pleasure to drive compared to the i20. Besides the boat like handling, the i20 is otherwise a nic car.

Can you please elaborate. What makes the Dzire the best car? The Fiesta and Manza are better in all respects.

Can you please elaborate. What makes the Dzire the best car? The Fiesta and Manza are better in all respects.
Sure. Why not. There are guys who just read the specs and arrive into conclusions. If that's enough, why do people ask questions here and why do people write reviews.

Manza is Better?[lol]

Looks: Subjective but Dzire is my pick. It's difficult to write about Manza's looks. It's that kind of a thing. Disproportionate. Fiesta looks good but feels dated. But I do like its looks. Looks more complete than the Dzire.

Engine/performance: Dzire. Not on paper but it is the best performer in practice. No doubt about that. Fastest car in the segment.

Fun to drive aspect: Manza is not even in the picture here. Body roll is a huge issue and it's nowhere near as smooth as the Dzire. Dzire is a fun to drive car so is Fiesta. Fiesta might have slightly better handling(not sure about this since other cars have improved a lot in terms of handling) but it's not enough to give it a decisive edge over the Dzire.

Fuel efficiency: Not so sure about this. Manza and Dzire neck and neck. Both better than Fiesta I suppose.

Cabin space and boot space: Manza, hands down. There's plenty of space and the backseat is very comfortable. It has a large boot too. So does Fiesta.

Interior looks and quality: New benchmark, Dzire. Enough said.

Features list: Manza has bluetooth connectivity and the Dzire and Fiesta haven't. Dzire's ORVMs can be folded from the inside. I'm not a great fan of electronically adjustable ones but foldable ones are definitely useful. Don't think Fiesta or Manza has it. Dzire has brake assist along with ABS and EBD. The other two haven't got brake assist. Not mentioning all the features here. Just mentioned a few important ones.

Riding comfort: Honestly speaking, I'm not so sure about this. All the cars are evenly matched I guess. The sofa like backseat of the Manza might be more comfortable but cant say the same about its suspension. I'm sure there is no big difference in terms riding comfort between the three. Poor rear legroom might be a concern for the Dzire here. It's not too narrow though.

Reliability: Maruti vs TATA vs Ford. Easy. Maruti. Do you need any explanation?

After sales and service: Stories of many unfortunate guys come to my mind. Anyways I don't want to write all of that here. Again Maruti is my pick. I don't think anyone would disagree.

Maintenance cost: Again no doubt. Maruti is cheaper to maintain.

Price(exshowroom):Dzire ZDI : 7.5 lakhs
Manza Elan Quadrajet : 8 lakhs
Fiesta 1.4 TDCI SXI : 8.5 lakhs

Actually with that kind of pricing, Fiesta is half a segment higher than the other two[:D].

Winner: Leaving that job to the readers. It's not too difficult. Is it?

Can the OP live with the relatively smaller boot and rear leg room? I think he can. All I said to him was that he should TD the Dzire before he removes it from the list.

PS:I hate writing long posts.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
dzire's a good car , and all the bookings and feedback proves it.

i too was confused between i20 magna diesel , swift and dzire. the new dzire was not launched then.

so coming to performance - i TD both the swift diesel ( friend's car as well as test drive car ) and i20 diesel which already had covered 30000 kms. and the engine.

i20 was so much better than the swift. i think the dzire's engine is same as the swift so i20's engine is much much better than the swift in terms of performance.

average is alike. both gives good city mileage.

as billion$kid mention , i20's full of problems. the adviser said that all the issues have been sorted out in october 2011. but all the problems remain even in the verna. both have same problems which have not been sorted out.

i have not driven manza and fiesta so can't really tell you about those.

so i'll say if you want a good car , and engine performance doesn't concerns you and you want a trouble free car go for the dzire. you can easily get the dzire vdi in your budget.

vdi doesn't have much safety features but most of the things are present.
i20's sports is i think around 7,50,000 on road ( it was on february )

my suggestion - go for the dzire vdi.

Thread Starter #28
On 28th/29th Duster would be available for TD. Renault sales person has informed..Waiting for the TD and the exact price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom