Buy New Small Hatch or Fix LPG in the Stock?

Thread Starter #1
I own 97 carburetor 800 DX (second hand) in good condition, which already crossed 98k mark(in petrol only) and the maximum KM cross in an year is around 8k only. I was thinking of buy a new car for the past 6 months and i am in confusion due to the petrol price hike. My budget for new car is 3.25 lakh only.For the current car i dont have any EMI, but i already spent more than 25K total for all round maintenance(Tax+insurance+HU+oil/parts replaced)in the past 1.5 years and I will have to spent around 15k at least for the maintenance(tires+tax+ insurance+ spares)within the next 9 months.

recently(after last petrol price hike) when i checked the LPG price here in the LPG pump it is only Rs.42/ ltr and the petrol price here is Rs.72/ltr. LPG price is below than diesel now. Before 2 months it was Rs.51/ltr for LPG. Then i thought of fixing gas kit. when i checked with local Gas fitting centers, they have quoted Rs.12500-15000 for the same including endorsement.

Now my problem is whether i should go for a new vehicle, in that case which vehicle?

1. M 800 & Alto 800 is going to stop production and new model not launched.( I still love to buy a new 800, if it is not going to stop production.Earlier Maruti confirmed that 800 BS3 will be available till 2016 except in the main 16 cities)
2. Hear that Tata plans for Nano 800 cc petrol in next year and Diesel still not launched
3. Chevrolet also going to launch spark 800 and the current 1.ltr has less milage
4. Eon still new and not proven (Too pricey &Heavy maintenance cost also matters)
5. I like Alto K10. it is little bit out of my budget.(Maruti site shows Alto K10 only available in LXI & VXI variant only. But i found many Alto K10s without LXI/VXI badges. Is that Lx variant available?)

or should i use my 800 for 2 more years too? in that case i think it will not give me more amount than the std resale value for extra fitting including gas kit.

Last edited:
I would suggest you to go for a Brand new Nano, it's value is unbeatable and moreover you will end up saving more than 1L from your above mentioned budget.

You can go through all the Nano ownership in our forum,most of the owner's are very satisfied with the performance of the car.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Viswanath,I would be happy to buy a brand new nano, if i know, how i can save 1 lakh by buying Nano. But heard that the spare parts and service charge for NANO is higher and the other '-'ive points are lack of glove box,hatch door,fully reclining front seats, thin front tires and the low cost materials. Still i like nano, but if Tata comes with a 800 cc engine in the next year, then the already low resale value will be again go down.[confused]

Thanks Viswanath,I would be happy to buy a brand new nano, if i know, how i can save 1 lakh by buying Nano. But heard that the spare parts and service charge for NANO is higher and the other '-'ive points are lack of glove box,hatch door,fully reclining front seats, thin front tires and the low cost materials. Still i like nano, but if Tata comes with a 800 cc engine in the next year, then the already low resale value will be again go down.[confused]
Will try to clarify all your doubt's,

how i can save 1 lakh by buying Nano
Nano costs approx2.30L and your budget is 3.30L,so end up not using that 1L(which in my book is a saving)

But heard that the spare parts and service charge for NANO is higher
That's just a misconception Nano is as cheap to maintain as say an 800.

'-'ive points are lack of glove box,hatch door,fully reclining front seats,
This part i Agree, but i don't think it cold be a deal breaker.

low cost materials
There are quite a few Nano owner's in our forum who would disagree with this statement.

but if Tata comes with a 800 cc engine in the next year, then the already low resale value will be again go down.
from what i understand from your requirement,when you buy a new car you would be using it for at least 5 year's,if that's the case you buy any car and the resale value will be negligible and moreover in this case your initial purchase cost low.

hope this will clear your doubt's just try and go through the ownership report's in our forum,that should help clarify all your doubt'd regarding this model.

whether i should go for a new vehicle, in that case which vehicle?
or should i use my 800 for 2 more years too?
Quite a difficult question. Unless you are looking for a upgrade / change, you can live with current vehicle + LPG kit.
In case if you are looking for a change, again you have 3 choices,
1) go for a brand new Spark / Alto 800 with the current budget
2) stretch the budget and go for Alto K10
3) Get a used (well maintained) Wagon-R Duo / Santro LPG

i think it will not give me more amount than the std resale value for extra fitting including gas kit.
You can expect 5~7k extra for LPG kit than standard resale value.

350Z

Core Team
Now my problem is whether i should go for a new vehicle, in that case which vehicle? or should i use my 800 for 2 more years too? in that case i think it will not give me more amount than the std resale value for extra fitting including gas kit.
From the description, it seems that the car is quite old and thoroughly used. It always would have a possibility of unexpected repairs / expenses cropping up. Apart from that, You are also going to spend for certain costs including Re-registration / Fitness Certificate + Insurance + Spares + LPG etc. and still live without peace of mind. In addition, the re-sale value of an already second hand Maruti 800 after a couple of years will be next to none. As long as the car is used on regular basis and without specific purpose (Such as for a learner), it is advisable to swap it with a new car and leave peacefully. However, on the other hand, also do keep in mind that none other car than a Maruti 800 would be as much pocket friendly when it comes to maintenance. You could consider Maruti Alto (Though it’s CNG) which is more or less a revamped avatar of our good ol’ 800. Another sensible option is Hyundai Santro Xing LPG. It’s a proven car although costs a little over the mentioned budget.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #7
Will try to clarify all your doubt's,

how i can save 1 lakh by buying Nano
Nano costs approx2.30L and your budget is 3.30L,so end up not using that 1L(which in my book is a saving)

But heard that the spare parts and service charge for NANO is higher
That's just a misconception Nano is as cheap to maintain as say an 800.

'-'ive points are lack of glove box,hatch door,fully reclining front seats,
This part i Agree, but i don't think it cold be a deal breaker.

low cost materials
There are quite a few Nano owner's in our forum who would disagree with this statement.

but if Tata comes with a 800 cc engine in the next year, then the already low resale value will be again go down.
from what i understand from your requirement,when you buy a new car you would be using it for at least 5 year's,if that's the case you buy any car and the resale value will be negligible and moreover in this case your initial purchase cost low.

hope this will clear your doubt's just try and go through the ownership report's in our forum,that should help clarify all your doubt's regarding this model.
In that way, you said is correct and i can save 1 lakh+ interest in the case of buying a nano instead of Alto in finance option. But my confusion is, whether i should use my 800 for at least one more year with or without LPG(As my running is low and it clearly a weekend car) or go for new nano now?
My 800 is early owned by my close friend and i had used it several times in that days. He bought a Ritz VDI later and i was with him at the time of delivery. True value people asked the car for 48k and market value was around 55-60K at that time.My wife was learning driving at that time and i know that car very well(No accident history,Engine & body was in good condition). I had good old memories also with this car made my decision and my friend given me the car at 40k.Since the car got at cheap price, i thought spent some money on it and make it good condition,I had spent almost 2-5k in each month and now it reached a total of around 30K+ now.Reregistration also done in last month and the car is in a top condition now with almost 0% rattles and i had driven only around 7k only.
so i thought i could use it for some more months in petrol or install LPG and use it for 1 or max 2 years( As my wife is still a learner,it will help her and lot of new low cost small hatches on the way. i thought it will help me to get a good option and may be better budget in next year )

2 of my friend are nano lx owners(old & 2012 model).Old nano was 1.5 year old crossed 25k.once hit a dog,front bumper brocken. TASS quoted 6kand it was not available too. he went to a local plastic molding company deals with this and made the front bumper in less cost(less quality too).Except the leak in the silencer joints(Louder thak thak noice) no other issues for him. He plans to replace the rear bumper with the nano Europa design. 2nd guy bought nano 2 months before here costed around 2.4 lakh here.After 1 week, while his wife tries to park the car, front wheel hit a slab, TASS confirmed bent is lower arm and replaced before 1st service.Now front right wheel touches the archs while turning and TASS not able to resolve it after 2 visits including 1st service. Service cost came around 2.5k and thanks to the new scheme by tata. He paid 3800 and rest of all service/spare expence will be free till guaranty period. His next service period is at 10K km and he was sure he has to visit show room more frequently due to the issues, which may come.

Quite a difficult question. Unless you are looking for a upgrade / change, you can live with current vehicle + LPG kit.
In case if you are looking for a change, again you have 3 choices,
1) go for a brand new Spark / Alto 800 with the current budget
2) stretch the budget and go for Alto K10
3) Get a used (well maintained) Wagon-R Duo / Santro LPG

You can expect 5~7k extra for LPG kit than standard resale value.
Mr.boss- i really thought of these options and now my preference are in order below in the case of going for another car
1. Buy a nano lx(as told by viswanath)without selling 800(my wife can use it now and sell later.Not make much diff)
2. Sell 800 and go for second alto/wagon r/estilo/old zen petrol models.(not thinking of santro .I dont like to buy a second LPG car)
3.sell 800 and buy Alto K10

Thread Starter #8

From the description, it seems that the car is quite old and thoroughly used. It always would have a possibility of unexpected repairs / expenses cropping up. Apart from that, You are also going to spend for certain costs including Re-registration / Fitness Certificate + Insurance + Spares + LPG etc. and still live without peace of mind. In addition, the re-sale value of an already second hand Maruti 800 after a couple of years will be next to none. As long as the car is used on regular basis and without specific purpose (Such as for a learner), it is advisable to swap it with a new car and leave peacefully. However, on the other hand, also do keep in mind that none other car than a Maruti 800 would be as much pocket friendly when it comes to maintenance. You could consider Maruti Alto (Though it’s CNG) which is more or less a revamped avatar of our good ol’ 800. Another sensible option is Hyundai Santro Xing LPG. It’s a proven car although costs a little over the mentioned budget.

Drive Safe,
350Z
That is correct.may be chance of issues. As i had changed all oils/belts/coolant etc, feels like engine can easily cross 25 k easily,if we give good care. In one of my long trips before 2 months i had done 196 km non stop night drive (A/c on 25% Km) from kozhikode to Angamaly with 5 people(including me) and my one year baby on board and full of luggage in the small boot in 3.15 hours.it didn't shown any problems.
i had already done reregistration 2 weeks before and car has completed 15 year in this June 1st.CNG is not available in Kerala now. LPG kit is confusing me.Whether i should do it or not as i am using my car for around 350km trip once in a month.
Resale value makes me to think whether i can keep it, then my wife can use it now and after some years my baby can tell to his friends that my papa owned a 800(a legend or a classic?) and which still in his parking area.[evil]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Hi all, at least i said bye to my 800. it was very sad moment, even it got a good value.I removed the DVD player fixed before 8 months and sold the car for 60K.

I had TD nano,new 800, alto and checked some cars in true value too..i found a 2006 esteem LXI in a second showroom, liked the car in first sight,bought it for 172K. car looks mint condition.54 K run, single owner, all service done at MASS. Car has 5 new Apollo accelere tires and pioneer Hu and speakers. got new full cover ins also. Only prob found small leak from silencer. i will share more details later.

350Z

Core Team
i found a 2006 esteem LXI in a second showroom, liked the car in first sight,bought it for 172K. car looks mint condition.54 K run, single owner
That’s a quick decision, Releesh. Congrats for the Esteem. Looking forward to a separate ownership review. Keep us updated.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom