Buy Extended Warranty To Take Care of Costly Repairs

Extended Warranties

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Guys in your opinion is it worth while taking a extended warranty on the car.

I do less than 20k per year. But my driving is all bumper to bumper heavy city traffic.

The car is an i10 Magna 1.2.

Thanks.

If I should take it how long should I take it for. I guess I am an average user so I don't have money to waste, but if it needs to be done then so be it.

Re: Extended Warranties

Extended Warranty is nothing but a another kind of insurance for the car parts. If anything is going to happen during extended warranty that will be covered by the insurance company.

So take your call and decide.

Extended Warranty is a good tool to secure your car major parts (e.g alternator) for a period of upto 4 years. In case you do not want to retain the car so long, you may opt out of it.

The standard warranty including the 3rd year bought during the initial purchase of my Figo TDCi will expire by 3rd March. Metro Ford is quoting Rs. 9649 for 4th Year / 1 Lkh KMs. Here is the extract from the email.

Extended Warranty the list of Parts which under covers are mentioned below

1. ENGINE
  2. GEAR BOX
  3. POWER STEERING RACK
  4. POWER STEERING COLUM
  5. BREAK BOOSTER
  6. MASTER CYLINDER
  7. IGNITION COIL
  8. POWER CONTROL MODULE
  9. ALTERNATER ASSEMBLY
  10. STARTER MOTOR
  11. EXHAUST SYSTEM
  12. ELECTONIC MODULE
  13. AC CONDENSER
  14. FANMOTOR
  15. POWER WINDOW REGULATOR & SWITCH
  16. SUSPENSION (UP TO 35000KM)
  17. AC UNIT
  18. DOOR LOCK ASSY.
  19. DOOR SKIN (DEPENDING ON AGE OF THE CAR)

Parts which does not cover under extended warranty

1. Wear & Tear Items like
  2. Brake Pads
  3. Clutch Linings
  4. Brake Liners
  5. Brake Drum
  6. Tyres
  7. Electric Bulbs. Etc.
  8. Wiper Rubbers
  9. Belts
  10. Weather Strips
  11. Accident repair
Worth a deal? All I am contemplating is, would it really worth the amount they have quoted? Please suggest.

Hows your car as of now?
Assuming engine is well cared of till now and AC also doesn't come with any issues.
The main problem area can be the suspension.
And it is not covered after 35 K Kms (!).
If you have not changed anything under warranty till now ,I would suggest not to take extended warranty.But as a fail safe measure talk to other Figo owners too.

Hows your car as of now?
Assuming engine is well cared of till now and AC also doesn't come with any issues.
The main problem area can be the suspension.
And it is not covered after 35 K Kms (!).
If you have not changed anything under warranty till now ,I would suggest not to take extended warranty.But as a fail safe measure talk to other Figo owners too.
The car is good and serviced regularly ONLY with FASS.

Have had few issues with regards to Mileage etc. and were mostly attended under warranty, though not much fixture done.

Parts replaced under warranty so far -
  1. Audio System
  2. Speakers
  3. Engine Cylinder Head Cover - PCV Valve to be replaced for leakage and it's attached with the head cover
  4. AC Thermistor
Apart from these, no other major replacements done. However, I have been complaining about "jerks" on gear shift from day one and it was never fixed.

Suspension isn't covered anyways.

Extended warranty is a tactic used to ensure that cars are serviced by the dealers, whether that is a good thing is debatable. It is cleverly thought out and planned in such a way that no great expense is incurred by the company. Most of what is covered is unlikely to fail barring that miniscule percentage of component failure that rarely occurs. On parts that are known to give trouble like dsg gearboxes the manufacturer has stopped extended warranty. In China and some other countries dsgggets 10 year warranty at no extra cost. In our country due to careless attitude of government and consumer bodies car manufacturers and dealers get away with murder.

Hii I got myself extended warranty but never felt use of it . I did most of work through insurance or Outside of service center . In Hyundai i think parts are little expensive but i still could not found a use of it .

The extended warranty is offered for the third and fourth years or 80,000 kms. You can also buy an extended warranty for only the third year or 60,000 kms and then opt for the fourth year or 80,000 kms.it from.
However, this warranty works only if you take your car regularly to an authorised service centre. If you get your car serviced by a roadside mechanic and any part has been tampered with, the company could refuse your warranty claim in the future. So if you have a Maruti extended warranty, you need to get your car serviced only at Maruti's authorised service centres across the country.
"Components or parts subject to wear and tear are not covered under the extended warranty,"
[/QUOTE]
While extended warranty is good, the manufacturers are not fools. Extended warranty always excludes some items covered by the standard warranty. Bassically if an item is likely to fail after 2 years it will probably not be covered by extended warranty.

You need to be carefull while buying extended warranty too as some of them are insurance based .
I know Skoda does this. You have to take Bajaj Allianz insurance.

IMO if you have a car like Maruti, it's not worth. Getting the car servied privately after 2 years will result in enough savings to take care of any failures.

Re: Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R Stingray VXi Ownership Review

Friends, advice needed
Please advice me whether to go for extended warranty or not.

What is the primary warranty offered ? What all are covered in extended warranty ? Usually it is good to have extended warranty, if your are planning to keep the car for long.

Yes.

Most of times it is not required, but if you have hard luck then an extended warranty can save you from nightmare.

What is the primary warranty offered ? What all are covered in extended warranty ? Usually it is good to have extended warranty, if your are planning to keep the car for long.
Primary Warranty is 24months and extended is another 24 for Rs.5-6k i guess.

Yes.

Most of times it is not required, but if you have hard luck then an extended warranty can save you from nightmare.
Confused whether to go for it or not.

Thanks

Top Bottom