Budget Subwoofer For Maruti Alto LXi

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

Before starting this thread, i searched a lot in the INTERNET regarding sub and amp but couldnt find anything as on this year,everything was like either decade old details( old models which are not available now) or costly stuffs which i am not interested now.

So finally decided to go for a Budget Subwoofer and Amplifier for my Alto. My current setup is :

• Pioneer X1690 USB Only HU
  • JBL CS-4 30WRMS on Front Dash
  • Pioneer TSG 624 40W RMS on Rear Dicky Door

I know speakers on the read dicky door isnt that great, Searched for a parcel tray and fittings at different shops like MGP stores to car accessory shops but couldnt find one,Guess my car is too old now.[cry] Doesnt matter, I Love my Car. So dropped parcel tray plans.

So about my present setup, it gives me enough loud and clear vocals and highs( of course am not an audiophile and its enough for me) when HPF is set to 100 or 160Hz. Otherwise everything will be jarring here and there and thanks to maruti for the rattling. C'mon its a budget car,i cannot expect more.

So what i want now is BASS. Again i dont want to spend a huge amount for it, say maximum 12k.

Amps i checked in my city was:

1. Pioneer 3602 2Ch Amp~ Not available with retailers. Some said pio amps arent great,is it? :O
  2. Sony XMN502 2Ch Amp ~ Quoted 5.2K .Available in most shops here.
  3. JBL 622SI 2Ch Amp~ Quoted around 5.5k. Not available with retailers.( Some said it isnt that powerfull to use with a sub, is it?
  4. Blaupunkt EMA255 2Ch Amp ~ Available at shops locally and online, quoted 4.5k here and 3k online.

So which amp should i buy? Hows Blaupunkt amps? Thats real cheap for 3k,160W BTL RMS too. Never used amps before so no idea how it performs. Please suggest.

Coming to Subwoofer, not much options avail here:

1. Again Pioneer 304R Sub, Not available at retail shops and one said it will not sound good with 2ch amps,is it?
  2. Sony Prefab enclosures and subs avail at every shops ~ Price from 4k to 7k ( I am not interested in sony subs though )
  3. Rockford Prime Series Sub 150W RMS ~ Quoted 4.5k at retail shop.
  4. JBL and Sony Basstubes and Box ~ Not interested,costs around 6.5k.

coming to enclosure still confused whether to get a sealed or ported box, If sealed will get a 1Cu Ft Sealed box,no idea about ported box.

Please suggest a budget sub.

Didnt forgot wiring,branded 8Awg wiring kits like Scoche and RF costs more than 3.5K here. Ordinary brands like Fusion is avail for 1k which is of decent quality and will suffice my kinda power requirement i guess.[:)]

Finally, Sorry for the long post for such a small topic. :D :D :D

Hi Aneesh [:D]
Glad to know that you are upgrading your ICE in Alto.
If you want basic setup cheaper but effective then i have some suggestions.
As per my experience with my Alto, you can choose any reliable local Amp , 2 channel will costcost you around 2500- 3000 , and for sub i will prefer JBL 1200w sub in sealed or ported enclosure . sealed for dum dum like sound only and ported for dum dum + boom boom type sound. JBL sub costs around 3000-3500 and 500-700 for enclosure. Add another 1000 for wiring + fitting. You can get decent setup within rs. 8000.
I have a good experience with local amp named Sound Barrier, earlier 2 ch in my alto and now 4 ch in my Optra.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
local Amp , 2 channel will cost you around 2500- 3000 , and for sub i will prefer JBL 1200w sub in sealed or ported enclosure . sealed for dum dum like sound only and ported for dum dum + boom boom type sound. JBL sub costs around 3000-3500 and 500-700 for enclosure. Add another 1000 for wiring + fitting. You can get decent setup within rs. 8000.
Things isnt this simple here. Locals comes without warranty and am not taking any risks.

Enquired for parcel tray setup at another place,waiting for reply, will decide whether to upgrade rear speakers or to buy sub.[;)]

Things isnt this simple here. Locals comes without warranty and am not taking any risks.

Enquired for parcel tray setup at another place,waiting for reply, will decide whether to upgrade rear speakers or to buy sub.[;)]
Bro the local one i am talking about is also available on some online stores like snapdeal etc andand with warranty too. In amps only manufacturing and some minor defects will be covered, they will not do anything if your amp burns due to heat or any other reason.https://snapdeal.com/product/sound-barrier-sb506-3400-watts/617888140

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Hi Aneesh, current setup on my Alto LXi:

• Sony CDX G1150U 55x4 HU
  • Pioneer TS A935H 6x9 90RMS Speakers on each sides of boot.
  • Blaupunkt EMA 255 2CH Amp installed under front passenger seat.

Front speakers are stock JVC connected directly to HU. Rear speakers are connected to Amp. I didn't go for sub as I wanted boot space. No parcel tray installed.

This setup is giving me good sound, enough bass to vibrate IRVM and car body. Overall audio quality is so much better than stock JVC setup.

I purchased everything from Snapdeal and got it installed from local shop. Amp costed 3.1k 7 months back and wiring kit (8 gauge) Rs. 700 (local shop).

Aneesh, I would suggest you to get 6x9 ovals on a parcel tray.

Reasons -

1. Cost effective. For around Rs. 5k or even less, you will get a proper sounding setup (overall, vocals as well as bass) which will have almost 30-40% of the output of a dedicated subwoofer.

2. Alto is a small car. Small car, small cabin space. In-cabin gain is quite high in small cars. A 12" subwoofer, even with <200w RMS supplied, will blast the hell out of the plastic parts on the inside. It is better to stick to coaxial speakers which will provide 50-50 (or similar) mixture of vocals and bass. In short, they will not be harsh on your car in the longer run.

3. Space saving. When fitted on a parcel tray, a major part of the boot is still left for storage. In case of a subwoofer, you have to sacrifice close to 40% of your boot space. A minimum of 1 ft (12") box, per side, is required for an entry level sub.

4. No boot rattles from outside. Trust me, ask the ones who have subwoofers installed in their rides. Boot rattles can become extremely irritating at mid-high volumes. There is no exact solution except stuffing the boot lid with damping material, which itself is very costly.

I would suggest JBL GTO series or Infinity 6x9 coaxials. I found Blaupunkt 6x9s to be a notch lower in quality (cone and rubber surround construction) than JBL and Pioneer. Audition different brands yourself and decide.

Sorry for the late reply. [:)]

Thread Starter #9
^^ Thanks for the reply. Already mentioned in the first post that i am unable to find a parcel tray for alto here.[cry] waiting for a friends reply, he said he will enquire about its availability. will post it in the thread anyway. waiting for his reply. Anyway i will get the Blau EMA255 2ch amp for 3k form snapdeal ,and will use it with 6x9 incase if i get the parcel tray or else for a small sub.

^^ Thanks for the reply. Already mentioned in the first post that i am unable to find a parcel tray for alto here.[cry] waiting for a friends reply, he said he will enquire about its availability. will post it in the thread anyway. waiting for his reply. Anyway i will get the Blau EMA255 2ch amp for 3k form snapdeal ,and will use it with 6x9 incase if i get the parcel tray or else for a small sub.
Yes that would be a good idea. 3k is indeed a good price for EMA255.

I guess you will save a bit from your 12k budget. The setup would come close to 10k I think. If you can spend ~5k for the amp, get the GTA470SF from Blaupunkt or some other 4 channel amp. A 4 channel amp would be good for any future upgrades also, and are more VFM as compared to 2 channel ones.

Thread Starter #11
Yes that would be a good idea. 3k is indeed a good price for EMA255.

I guess you will save a bit from your 12k budget. The setup would come close to 10k I think. If you can spend ~5k for the amp, get the GTA470SF from Blaupunkt or some other 4 channel amp. A 4 channel amp would be good for any future upgrades also, and are more VFM as compared to 2 channel ones.
I just decreased my budget,sorry for not mentioning ,not spending more than 8- 9k. Not worth spending more in an alto.
More than that, even i had that 4 ch amp plan and upon thinking , i thought i can get a newer model and efficient one later when i am buying a new car. So dropped 4ch amp plan and decided to minimise the total expense as much as possible and thats how i decided to get ema 255 for 3k which felt real cheap for that price. Correct me if am missing something,am just expressing my thoughts and opinions.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Maruti Alto Lxi Parcel Tray Mounts Aftermarket

Hi guys, Got the reply from a friend and this is the one he bought from a local shop in Delhi. Costed around 650Rs, he was not sure about exact price. He will confirm its availability and will tell me soon. I will forget subwoofer setup soon. [lol]

Attachments

Re: Maruti Alto Lxi Parcel Tray Mounts Aftermarket

Hi guys, Got the reply from a friend and this is the one he bought from a local shop in Delhi. Costed around 650Rs, he was not sure about exact price. He will confirm its availability and will tell me soon. I will forget subwoofer setup soon. [lol]
Yes I had exact similar planks and mounts in my Alto. I had bought it for Rs. 500 in 2010 I think, so 650 bucks is a really good price.

When your friend gets the tray, ask him to check the thickness of the material (0.75" is good) and also ask the installer/manufacturer to cover the felt material properly from the edges. It is a simple job, he will staple some pins from underside which will prevent the material from coming off.

And if you want to save a bit more boot space (see in the above pics, the magnet is coming in the boot volume), ask the manufacturer to put one more spacer ring on the 6x9 cut-out. Cost would be 200-300 bucks more.

Regarding 6x9, you can look at JBL, Pioneer, Hertz and similar products. Pioneer is a bit on bass-ier side while JBL is well-balanced. Infinity will feel a bit louder. For ~4-4.5k, you can have a decent set with bill and warranty. If you have not ordered the amplifier, then first listen to the setup for a 1 month or so and then decide if you really need an amplifier. Audition yourself and decide which speakers suit you the best.

Thread Starter #14
Re: Maruti Alto Lxi Parcel Tray Mounts Aftermarket

Yes I had exact similar planks and mounts in my Alto. I had bought it for Rs. 500 in 2010 I think, so 650 bucks is a really good price.

When your friend gets the tray, ask him to check the thickness of the material (0.75" is good)
Yes but shipping is going to cost more than the price of tray

and also ask the installer/manufacturer to cover the felt material properly from the edges. It is a simple job, he will staple some pins from underside which will prevent the material from coming off.
No issues, DIY ☺

And if you want to save a bit more boot space (see in the above pics, the magnet is coming in the boot volume), ask the manufacturer to put one more spacer ring on the 6x9 cut-out. Cost would be 200-300 bucks more.
Yea thats good idea. I can get it here localy.

Regarding 6x9, you can look at JBL, Pioneer, Hertz and similar products. Pioneer is a bit on bass-ier side while JBL is well-balanced. Infinity will feel a bit louder. For ~4-4.5k, you can have a decent set with bill and warranty.
Either Jbl 6x9 or Infinity 6x9.

If you have not ordered the amplifier, then first listen to the setup for a 1 month or so and then decide if you really need an amplifier.
Didnt bought amp as i was totally confused, also father said he will get an amp from abroad,if so will get a 4ch amp.

Audition yourself and decide which speakers suit you the best.
Worst and sad thing, we dont have demo setups here. People just want boom boom either they will go with sony subs in crap enclosures or will buy basstubes.

Thread Starter #15
He confirmed the price of the tray, its 550INR. He is busy,will check the courier charges soon.

Also Whats the difference between Infinity - Primus 9603i ~ 3.7K & Infinity - Reference 9603ix ~ 4.4K ? JBL GTO 950Si seems too costly @ 6.8K [roll]

Top Bottom