Budget ICE Upgrade For My 4th Gen Honda City SV i-Vtec

Thread Starter #1
Hello people,

As you read above , I'm thinking of upgrading my stock speakers to good components and coaxials as first stage of my upgrade. Please guide me on few of my queries. FYI I'm retaining my stock head unit and will NOT change for better HU anytime soon. Fellow city owners and Audio gurus shed some light on the following:

*Does my Stock HU(SV) support amps and subs by default?

*Good componets for front at 4k (less is good).

*Saw a good deal on Blaupunkt amp for 3k will buy it if no pioneer amps suit my installation.

*As a first stage , shall I install just components and a 4 channel amp ( pioneer)? Or just Add components and coaxials [later add sub and amp combo?]

*I very much like stock look so don't want to get into metal cutting and changing the speaker door pads i.e speaker should fit exactly inside the stock speaker grills.

*How about Infinity components and JBL sub powered by Pioneer 4 channel amp while rear JBL coaxials powered by HU [After completion of last stage]

*I need Good SQ as well as SPL but neither should trouble my Co passengers inside the car . Definitely need a crispy thumping BASS(outside too !!) Whatever it may I could be able to tune it accordingly .

*I listen to Hollywood, Bollywood and Tamil songs mostly.Can't explain the genre as I'm a newbie.

*Budget installation so any product reference to shops and online stores welcome. I'm a newbie in ICE so kindly bear with me. I'm happy with anything better than my stock for now.

Big Thanks,
Sarath.

Thread Starter #3
I have shortlisted on getting Polk db6501 or Hertz components for the front stage and JBL GTO950SI on the rear.Is it good ? For the amp, How is Blaupunkd EMA 255 OR GMA 455?

I suggest you go for the same company speakers in front rear. Have a look at Polk Dxi series. They seem to be newer compared to Polk DB. If you are planning for front Polk components go for rear also Polk.

Thread Starter #5
I suggest you go for the same company speakers in front rear. Have a look at Polk Dxi series. They seem to be newer compared to Polk DB. If you are planning for front Polk components go for rear also Polk.
Thanks Vishi !! Will keep that in my mind. As i mentioned , i like bass a lot than treble so would love to have bass heavy speakers for the front . Im also planning to audition the Blaupunkt GT series active sub .I highly doubt that my Stock HU support my requirement.[cry]

Last edited:
Hello people,

As you read above , I'm thinking of upgrading my stock speakers to good components and coaxials as first stage of my upgrade. Please guide me on few of my queries. FYI I'm retaining my stock head unit and will NOT change for better HU anytime soon. Fellow city owners and Audio gurus shed some light on the following:

*Saw a good deal on Blaupunkt amp for 3k will buy it if no pioneer amps suit my installation.

*As a first stage , shall I install just components and a 4 channel amp ( pioneer)? Or just Add components and coaxials [later add sub and amp combo?]

*I very much like stock look so don't want to get into metal cutting and changing the speaker door pads i.e speaker should fit exactly inside the stock speaker grills.

*How about Infinity components and JBL sub powered by Pioneer 4 channel amp while rear JBL coaxials powered by HU [After completion of last stage]

*I need Good SQ as well as SPL but neither should trouble my Co passengers inside the car . Definitely need a crispy thumping BASS(outside too !!) Whatever it may I could be able to tune it accordingly .

*I listen to Hollywood, Bollywood and Tamil songs mostly.Can't explain the genre as I'm a newbie.

*Budget installation so any product reference to shops and online stores welcome. I'm a newbie in ICE so kindly bear with me. I'm happy with anything better than my stock for now.

Big Thanks,
Sarath.
Hi Sarath01.

Nice decision of sticking to the stock HU and upgrading speakers first.

1. Not by default. But you can add amplifier by using "Speaker level input" (provided your amp has this) or add a "Hi Lo Converter" which would cost around 2000 bucks for JBL.

2. Look for entry level JBL, Pioneer or Blaupunkt components. 4k is a tight budget for components and you'll be better off sticking to Pioneer for bass heavy sound. JBLs would be better for vocals.

3. Blaupunkt EMA 255 is underpowered and not sufficient for your needs, as amplifying a subwoofer only in a sedan will not give sufficient bass in the cabin. Go for 455 or other 4 channel amps. Pioneer GM series or JBL GXA644SI would be the best bet.

4. Upgrade components and coaxials at first stage. If you are still not satisfied with loudness and clarity, add an amp. If still not satisfied with bass, add a subwoofer and run the coaxials off the HU.

5. Adding a speaker would require wooden spacers for perfect fit, as aftermarket speakers are made for universal fit unlike OEM speakers. Spacers would not require any cutting of car body or part and are pretty cheap, i.e. around 500-1000 bucks.

6. Great. Infinity is high on quality. Also look for Hertz components, paired with Pioneer or JBL 4 channel. JBL 6x9 are perfectly fine. JBL subwoofer might be a weak link here if you're looking for bass heavy system. Put a Pioneer Champion series in a ported box, much better than JBL in sealed.

7. For full tuning options, get a 4 channel amplifier only. Power the comps through front 2 channels and subwoofer through the rear 2. Thumping bass would be definitely there after amplifying the coaxials and components also (let alone a sub). Infinity and Hertz are better for SQ as well as some SPL than bass heavy Pioneers and treble heavy JBLs.

8. Just tell us what you like in songs. Tight, hard hitting bass or low mind numbing bass lines? Sharp vocals or slightly muffled vocals? Loudness or clarity? Which volume do you mostly maintain?

9. Go for Snapdeal only, avoid ebay.in or other stores as products might be fake also. Carefully look out for fakes while purchasing offline also, avoid anything that has unusual "high power" "full power" "blast" "boom" etc. primted on it.

Thread Starter #8
Thank you bro for your suggestions !! That cleared my doubts and liked your "points to note" kinda explanation [:D]. Will finalise on models soon and update this thread. Waiting for budget approval to be frank[lol].

Thank you bro for your suggestions !! That cleared my doubts and liked your "points to note" kinda explanation [:D]. Will finalise on models soon and update this thread. Waiting for budget approval to be frank[lol].
Welcome brother. Actually the points-to-note were in responce (point wise) to your queries in the opening post.

Thread Starter #10
Hello everyone!
Im going to upgrade my ICE and wanted to check with you for a suggestion! I have shortlisted
JBL GX A644SI/A646SI
JBL GX A644SI Four Channel Car Amplifier: Amazon.in: Electronics

JBL GX A646SI Four Channel Car Amplifier: Amazon.in: Electronics
Blaupunkt GTA 470 SF.
Blaupunkt - GTA 470 SF - 4 Channel Amplifier (840 W): Amazon.in: Electronics

Any other similar to these also welcome except Sony. Im going for Pioneer 550 watt(Rms around 100) coaxials at the back as i really like Pioneer. Now should i go for components first or shall i go ahead with coaxials? I have plans of upgrading HU and Components later though. Im planning to install next week so any help is appreciated.
I need a bass-heavy system so I might drop the infinity speakers as for now.

I would suggest you to get the components first. They are your main drivers. Coaxials are mostly for filling in the sound. Also I would suggest you to take a look at higher output amplifier. I am also due to change my amp and was eyeing pioneer gm d8604. Though it is a bit costly than the ones you have posted above but it should be well worth it IMO specially if you plan on adding a sub later.

Thread Starter #12
I would suggest you to get the components first. They are your main drivers. Coaxials are mostly for filling in the sound. Also I would suggest you to take a look at higher output amplifier. I am also due to change my amp and was eyeing pioneer gm d8604. Though it is a bit costly than the ones you have posted above but it should be well worth it IMO specially if you plan on adding a sub later.
Hi! Thanks for your suggestion but don't you think d8604 a overkill for the stock HU? Even though it is a manageable stretch i will be losing out on good components !! Adding a sub will not happen any less than a year or two if I'm satisfied with the output. What is your current setup?

Hello people,

Big Thanks,
Sarath.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is very genuine question. The question is very helpful for the Automotive industry that is focus on.
I would like to JBL component best speaker if you like, you can try that.

Thread Starter #14
Still in dilemma on which amplifier to buy for my stock HU! I've shortlisted GM-D8604 class D and Focal R4280 class AB in addition to those mentioned earlier! If anybody is using it please respond[cry]. And for the components, I will be having a demo in local shops before buying as i prefer SQL setup. How about morel components? Any link ?

Currently I have stock speakers and a v12 amp plus a sub. I've been looking to upgrade my ice and hence been doing quite a lot of research.
Where are you based out of?
If getting d8604 would make you loose on good components I'd suggest you to go according to the budget. Because a good amp without good speakers is useless. Remember your music system would be as strong as the weakest link in the chain. Hence don't forget to use good quality wiring.
As to recommending part i would stay away. Because I haven't auditioned any setup. But I could just give you options based on what I have been seeing.
You could also look at blaupunkt gta 470 dsp for amplifier for SQ.

Top Bottom