Budget Hatch Under Rs.5 Lakh (Diesel Preferred)

Thread Starter #1
> Your Budget: 5L

> New or Used: New

> Your Location: Kolkata

> Top Five Priorities: FE, easy to drive

> Monthly Running: 1000km

> Type of Fuel: Diesel

> For What Purpose: Regular city Use, office commune

> Seating Capacity: 4

> Type of Segment: hatch

I already own a Maruti Zen (2002) which gives me FE around 10km/l , with AC in city , but now we need a second car . Since my dad loves to drive petrol car he is insisting on buying another petrol hatch like i10 , Brio or Beat petrol , but i10 is costly and not that FE , like my Zen what I have heard from my brother who owns an i10 for the past 2 years ( around 11/12 kmpl ) , Brio was perfect but the SMT coming around 4.8L (onroad ) , so then came my idea , when am investing so much why not invest 20k more and get the base variant of beat diesel , which comes to be around 5L (on road ), it's the most FE acc to reviews , so do u guys think my decisions is correct ? would the maintenance cost be high in future , is it a easy car to drive in city ?

on another thought with the amount of dist the car will run every month , I should scrap the plan of investing in a diesel car and go for a super budget hatch like eon ( 3.3 base model , FE around 15/16 kmpl with ac ) .

I have not finalized anything , am open to any suggestions .

thank you

350Z

Core Team
Re: Budget Hatch (Diesel Preferred)

when am investing so much why not invest 20k more and get the base variant of beat diesel , which comes to be around 5L (on road ), it's the most FE acc to reviews , so do u guys think my decisions is correct ? would the maintenance cost be high in future , is it a easy car to drive in city ?
Welcome to The Automotive India, Zenon. Beat was the first option that clicked to me after reading the title. Later realized that you are already considering it. Your choice is wise enough if Diesel is a strict requirement. Personally, I think a Petrol car (combined with alternative fuel) will work out too like Beat LPG. Give a thought.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi Zenon, read your requirement and I think that you can safely go with the Beat Diesel. However since you have bought the Eon into the picture; suggest you TD both vehicle first only to be sure Buyer's remorse does not haunt you later [:)].

I personally would prefer the Beat over the Eon. However please consider the following:
1) The cashless ownership offer is truly cashless (personal experience)
2) Your ASS experience would depend upon which one you go to, again from personal experience I have found it to be from very bad to very good
3) Beat's funky design .. may or may not like it
4) How tall are you? If you are over 5ft10', then no problem with Beat. Otherwise might be an issue as seating position is low.
5) Both are 3 cylinder engines, however city drive-ability in Beat is better (my experience)
6) Very good mileage and that too from a Diesel makes Beat the first choice
7) Given the political scenario, dont see an increase in diesel prices, while with Petrol, it may be tomorrow[cry]

In short; Beat would be a better choice. Hope that helps.

Thread Starter #4
thank you for your responses , now to add to my misery , Ford figo diesel has suddenly started a 28K discount , which makes the ford figo diesel 5 L around , so between figo , and beat what do u think , and ritz also coming to the picture if somehow I can manage 20/30 k more , but one thing for sure , easy drive in city is a major factor along with the FE for me , I don bother much about boot space or rear space . Actually the thing thats haunting me is 5L for a 1000cc (beat) and 5.3 for a 1300CC (figo & ritz) is the 30K at all worth it coz with the heavier engine I loose FE, but does the overall drive quality improve with a heavier engine .

PS: I am 5'11" , so in that dept am perfect for beat I guess ;)

thank you for your responses , now to add to my misery , Ford figo diesel has suddenly started a 28K discount , which makes the ford figo diesel 5 L around , so between figo , and beat what do u think , and ritz also coming to the picture if somehow I can manage 20/30 k more , but one thing for sure , easy drive in city is a major factor along with the FE for me , I don bother much about boot space or rear space . Actually the thing thats haunting me is 5L for a 1000cc (beat) and 5.3 for a 1300CC (figo & ritz) is the 30K at all worth it coz with the heavier engine I loose FE, but does the overall drive quality improve with a heavier engine .

Figo , beat both are very good cars to drive in the city they have almost zero turbo lag . Mileage in best will be more maybe 2 or 3 Kms .
Figo has more space ,bigger boot , on highways you can have fun because the handling is sedan like . Beat will run short of breath on highways .
If you have elders in your family try the ritz becuase the ingress and all is comfertable and engine is great too.

So
Bigger boot,space, highway drives ,- figo
More city drives, chuck able, good ride - beat
Ritz I won't comment since I have never driven one .

More options, more opinions:
1) I have driven the Ritz once and would place it just over Beat. Added advantage is that a facelift is coming soon and hence can bargain good discounts from dealer. I dont like the tail design which if market intelligence is true has not been rectified in the facelift. But its a Maruti and that has its advantages (good resale, ever present so so ASS, repairable anywhere).
2) Beat > already laid out the positives in my last post. If its city commute you are looking for, perhaps the best bet.
3) Figo > As Raja mentioned, an all round hatch. My personal opinion that design is a little out dated but have many satisfied owners , hence must be doing something right.
TD them and remember, its not you that always selects a car, sometimes its the car that chooses you.[:)]

Hello and welcome to TAI Zenon and have a pleasant stay here.

Looking at your requirement and budget i would suggest you go ahead with beat as it is the best option for city driving within the budget. And you can also look for the Ford Figo since that's a nice hatch too and i think if you have lot of highway driving then do consider Figo.

between the three mentioned
ritz is a winner in performance and FE

but BEAT gives you more features therefore more VFM

kindly consider these options before

From your posts it seems you are inclined towards Beat. It is a fabulously efficient diesel car for sure. It ticks all the right boxes too.

IMO, if you can afford Maruti Ritz DIESEL then go for it. At 5'11", it will be the most spacious. The rear seats of Beat is a bit tight. Front seats of Beat are good for a person of your height.

An updated Ritz in on the way. The older version of Ritz is now available with discounts too. If you are okay with the Ritz design then look no further.

Thread Starter #13
ONE BIG UPDATE PEOPLE

Things took turn in a diff angle , my father was not at all convinced on buying a chevy hatch and that too for 5L , he said he will shed a lakh more and go for Swift Dzire VXI , onroad price coming around 6L and luckily a car is somehow ready with the dealer , which he said can book for me , so the huge 4/5 moths wait doesnt apply in my case , what do you think guys wise decisions ??

PS : on a re estimation we found our monthly usage being around 600km , so staying in petrol make sense rt ? coz the VDI is available at 1.2L More

ONE BIG UPDATE PEOPLE

Things took turn in a diff angle , my father was not at all convinced on buying a chevy hatch and that too for 5L , he said he will shed a lakh more and go for Swift Dzire VXI , onroad price coming around 6L and luckily a car is somehow ready with the dealer , which he said can book for me , so the huge 4/5 moths wait doesnt apply in my case , what do you think guys wise decisions ??

PS : on a re estimation we found our monthly usage being around 600km , so staying in petrol make sense rt ? coz the VDI is available at 1.2L More
Kindly ask the vin number from dealer and post it on the forum so experts will decode it and tell you exactly which month it was made iam telling you this because at times dealers try and sell several months old or display model .
Regarding you usage 600kms seems that you must go for petrol only if your sure that in future say I or 2 years later it won't increase and cross 1000.
And swift indeed is a good choice it's a fun to drive car and will give you better mileage then beat for sure . Not to confuse you further but have you thought about Honda brio ?

ONE BIG UPDATE PEOPLE

Yes buddy i would do the same thing swift is a well settled and a very good car. And looking at your monthly running petrol makes more sense.

As suggested by Raja do get the VIN number of the car and check the manufacturing date. And are there any discounts on the petrol version?

Top Bottom