Budget 6.5 Lakh: Looking for New Hatchback / Sedan

Thread Starter #1
After having a 5 and half year truck driving experience with the Indigo TDi longing at 1,23,000 kilometers, I finally am in the market with a budget of 6 and half lac for a new car.
I have shortlisted the following cars, hatches and sedans, Petrol and Diesel. Want your suggestions.

1. Honda Jazz
2. Toyota Etios (petrol)
3. Ford Figo (diesel)
4. Chevrolet Sail (petrol) (worth the wait?)
5. Mahindra Verito (diesel)

I did not consider Tata, as servicing for new gen Tatas (a la MJD engines) is not reliable. Maruti is too arrogant for my choice. I TD a Scala (wanted to drive a Pulse but demo car was not available) 10 days back but it is out of my budget, and we do not have Renault-Folkswagen showrooms in Jalgaon.
I would love inputs and comparison between the Etios (petrol) and Jazz. I've made my mind for Jazz, but Etios is strong competitor (I'm not much inclined towards interiors and all, so the notorious bad interior in Etios would do well with me)

Please suggest.

Ad!tya

Suspended
Re: New buy

Your monthly running is (acc. to the data given)=1863 Kms approx.
Since the running is high, there is no reason for getting a petrol car. Instead, diesel car will be better.
If space is not a serious concern, then the Figo might do well than the Jazz, being a diesel.
From my side, mahindra verito is a NO. It still has its TAXI instincts (no offence to anyone) with the plain 'Airport car' look.
I have heard news of Honda Jazz diesel coming up in future. You can enquire a Honda dealer to get the approx release date of Jazz diesel. In the Jazz, you get lots of space, small cubby holes for keeping day to day use items, honda reliability, quality, refinement, best (IMO) exteriors.

Good Luck.

The Sail is an impressive package especially the diesel version. If you can wait, then sure it is a great car. Jazz is a perfect package but your running seems on the higher side and for you, diesel makes best sense. Verito is a good car as well but maybe a little bland compared to its rivals.

Why not check out the 'caaaaar'? or the fiesta classic?

Thread Starter #4

The running will not be that high now. Rather that is why I have petrols in the short list. Engine wise, can a Etios petrol be a good buy?

Thread Starter #5

The Sail is an impressive package especially the diesel version. If you can wait, then sure it is a great car. Jazz is a perfect package but your running seems on the higher side and for you, diesel makes best sense. Verito is a good car as well but maybe a little bland compared to its rivals.

Why not check out the 'caaaaar'? or the fiesta classic?
With the 'caaaaar' the problem is there is no showroom in the city. Will have to go to Aurangabad (160 kms) for every service.

How does it fare on the drive ability front? Engine wise? I am not much of a interior person, so the bland interiors would work.
the in car sound insulation for an etios is not great. you will understand what type of road you might be driving with just the road noise which filters through the wheels arches.
if your only concern is toyota reliability then sure etios is a compelling choice. else for vfm vehicle , i would suggest you look elsewhere.

Ad!tya

Suspended

I have never been on the driver seat of the etios, but yes, had a ride in it once.
In the etios, the NHV level is high. The cabin is noisy. At high RPMs, the vibrations feel very irritating.
Better have a look at Etios liva diesel.

Any reason for not going with i20?

Hi Swapnil, from your list the following looks good buys:
1) Figo diesel (you will get titanium with the current ongoing offers)
2) Verito (may be only the base version, but a good car none the less)

Other cars you may look at is the Beat that would be in your budget. Jazz is a good buy but if you want to stick with Petrol then there are other options too.

Not sure why you have said that Tata MJD is not reliable? Any previous experience?

Re: Budget 6.5 lakhs looking for new Hatch Back/Sedan

I will blindly go for the Jazz. You stand to gain at least 1-2 kpl on the competition as well.

Of course at 20k+ pa you may consider a Diesel also, I personally think the differential between Diesel and Petrol will narrow down with time, though may not hit zero or negative as in Europe and the US.

I will blindly go for the Jazz. You stand to gain at least 1-2 kpl on the competition as well.

Of course at 20k+ pa you may consider a Diesel also, I personally think the differential between Diesel and Petrol will narrow down with time, though may not hit zero or negative as in Europe and the US.
+1 to your suggestion of Jazz, I differ the on the Petrol and diesel prices narrowing down to very near. A hike in a diesel price again is not that easy like a country India. I do not think petrol prices will come down so much which are more driven according to international crude prices at present[:)]

Finally if a petrol, nothing better than Jazz, but will it come in 6.5 L ??

If a diesel, then Verito New is impressing and it is not used as Airport taxi like earlier. If you take out that bad image of TATA, then please try out the Vista VX once.

+1 to your suggestion of Jazz, I differ the on the Petrol and diesel prices narrowing down to very near. A hike in a diesel price again is not that easy like a country India. I do not think petrol prices will come down so much which are more driven according to international crude prices at present[:)]
I will expect Diesel to go up in the not too distant future. As I said it will only reduce the gap. See what happened last time round, almost all the Hullabaloo is about the LPG without too much noise about Diesel. After all the naysayers the inflation is up just 0.2%, hardly much of an impact of the Diesel hike.

Thread Starter #15

+1. The Jazz package was tempting me since the price cuts, Etios petrol being the other. And the fuel economy I am getting on my Indigo is more or less equal to what the Jazz can give. Will have a test drive of it soon.
Little OT, Has anyone tried the Tata Recon Aggregates? Indigo TC bare engine at 33,301/- is what Tata Motors website states. Is it worth giving a thought?

Top Bottom