BS-VI: Havoc on Pocket & Mind or Hammock To Relax?

Thread Starter #1
So, as some of you probably know, my dad owns a 2016 BS4 Scorpio and I have a 2016 BS3 Bullet and a 2003 BS2 MM540 Jeep. While I have little concerns about the Scorpio which has a pretty long life ahead, I'm not so sure about my bullet and definitely very sceptical about the jeep which has done about 97500 kms till date. So how do I go about this. Any insight on what would be a proper choice to make at this point? I definitely have zero money for affording another car at this juncture.
While personally, I have no interest in parting with such a pure-mechanical no-nonsense vehicle, do I sell this? Up until a couple of months there were people willing to offer up to 3L for the jeep but now no one wants to buy any car, let alone used ones. How much do you guys think it'd fetch btw?
If I am to hold on to it, what will happen to it once the norms come into effect? Will I be asked to scrap it? Will there be any incentive for it? What will be the other effects of the new norms on old vehicles like this? Increased insurance or increased fitness check costs? Mandatory pollution certificate renewals? If so, at what interval?
The reason I'm asking a seemingly repetitive question is because, everywhere on the internet, there are answers about the fate of BS4 vehicles but I haven't been able to get any info about earlier ones. Sorry if I'm bombarding people with a slew of questions and sorry again if this has been answered elsewhere. In that case, please redirect me to that info source. Thanks everyone in advance!
WP_20170416_16_53_36_Pro.jpg

BS2 MM540 Jeep. While I have little concerns about the Scorpio which has a pretty long life ahead, I'm not so sure about my bullet and definitely very sceptical about the jeep which has done about 97500 kms till date. So how do I go about this. Any insight on what would be a proper choice to make at this point? I definitely have zero money for affording another car at this juncture.
Hi Brian,
Is the RC still valid? It's a 16 year old Jeep so the concern.
If not have you tried getting it renewed, as I doubt you will have any serious buyers at this point of time.

Of course I've renewed it. It is valid till 2022
Nothing to be worried about till 2022. You can use the car till then without any problem, just have to get PUC done without fail to avoid paying fine. Afterwards, it's RC automatically becomes invalid, thereby rendering it useless for On road purpose. However it can still be used to drive around private land or scrapped after 2022. AFAIK scrap rate will fetch you a minimum of 30K INR for older cars.

Thread Starter #5
However it can still be used to drive around private land or scrapped after 2022.
So in case I want to sell it now, will it be able to fetch me anything near a lakh or so? And thanks a lot for explaining the situation.

Thread Starter #8
Not Sure about it, It depends on the buyer. (I have no idea wrt Jeeps)
Yeah, I'm also unsure and I'm checking it out here with colleagues, other people I know, etc. People are really sceptical on buying cars now with the norms rolling out soon.
According to orange value site, you should be getting a good amount, very near to your expectations.
Yes and there's a good chance I might be able to give it the mechanic who services it usually for 1.5L if everything goes right[:D]

bhvm

Honoured Member
I am living in the same dilemma as you. 70% of my vehicles are
1. BS3 or older
2. about 12 years old.

The beasts certainly have much more life left than healthy neurons of these so called authorities and decision makers.

Apart from this, I can certainly say that BS6 is a havoc. There will be too much Emissions control Gadgetry. High maintenance and Reduced engine life will be always a concern.

After 15 Years you can renew registration. Except Delhi and NCR all states renew with nominal fee and Brake Inspector inspection. As such there is no compulsory rule not use or scrap non BS6 vehicles.

Top Bottom