Brakes Booster & Brand New Clutch on Maruti 800

Re: Booster Brakes & Brand New Clutch on Maruti 800

Hi Spinner-Wheelz,

Fitting an booster won't effect the performance,mileage just need to increase the rpm/idling a bit after this upgrade as the booster needs to be filled up..

When you turn off your engine your brakes work as the normal brakes work..but the pedal would be hard to use..
(used only in emergencies)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #32

Hi ss80

First of all many many thanks for posting a detailed description of your brake upgrade procedure . I am a owner of a 1996 carb Maruti 800 . Although I don't have any complaints with the stock non boost assisted brakes ( I have driven at 100 kmph with 3 passengers plus me , no issues ) , I am interested in upgrading the brakes with a KBX booster kit like yours .

I have two questions though regarding the modification .

1st : Since the booster is feeding off the intake manifold for the vaccum , does it affect the engine performance in anyway , such as reduced pick-up ? Has the fuel efficiency been affected ?

2nd : Since the pipe feeding off the intake manifold is of rubber ( it looks rubber to me , correct me if I am wrong ) , if it ruptures , will we lose all braking power or just the booster assist ?

Thanks

Spinner Wheelz

Hi spinner, happy to see one more owner of an iconic car [:D]

I do not want to debate on the stock brakes, however the booster does make a lot of difference. Stock brakes in my car needed more muscle power & reaction time, the booster makes the braking job easier & the ride safer.

Drive some M800 with Booster fitted & I am sure you will love it. The pipe you are referring to pretty tough and can hold on to its place for years!

In carb cars (mine is carb too) the idling will slightly reduce after the booster is fitted, so in traffic conditions till your engine is slightly wamred up. You need to press the throttle gently (to increase idling).

The booster not only boosts the braking power, it does boost your confidence too. (My love for boosters is too high after experiencing it!) If the engine gets switched off, still the brakes are good for one or two strokes max, then they are back to their crude condition.

IT IS SAFE & WORTH THE MONEY SPENT, GO FOR IT. Accessories like ICE etc alone eat up 5K (min) to 50K (or even more), better brakes always keeps you safe.

Wonder full work done on a 800 which is essential for present days .

Varun , You didnt DIY it?? hehehe

In first post , is the last picture of clutch plate is it used one ? if so i find it not so worn out or picture angles ??

ilango[speed thirst];150558 said:
Wonder full work done on a 800 which is essential for present days .

Varun , You didnt DIY it?? hehehe
Hi ilango, got the booster for my car 4 years back, so it was not a DIY !! [evil]

i mean , you didnt DIY it in ss80's car , hehe.

Doesnt the old zen booster fix in this? just a query , i hope so we could fix them - kind of bigger booster. No drop in power as such since it was only some 200cc more. and this 800cc will take just a fraction of sec more for vacuum? - just a theoretical guess

Thanks for reminding HE dint let me to DIY !![sad]
I tried fixing zen old booster, I feel my 800's booster is better than that..

Only issue is the pedal vibrates while braking and vacuum is lost as soon as the car is turned off where as in 800 booster even if the car is off vacuum wont be lost..unless you press the pedal..

Hi guys ,

Thanks a million , for your replies/ inputs . Sorry couldn't reply earlier as I was busy as hell .

Engine performance reduces only when the tube ruptures, it isnt a thin tube its a proper vacuum tube.You can cover it with a corrugated plastic cover.If it still ruptures the brakes return to their mechanical self(how they were before booster was added).The booster only works when the engine is running else its just like your factory mechanical brake.
This is what I wanted to hear

Varun560061 said:
Fitting an booster won't effect the performance,mileage just need to increase the rpm/idling a bit after this upgrade as the booster needs to be filled up..
If I am not wrong , the idling rpm of a carb M800 is 800 . So should we go for a 1000 rpm idling rpm with brake booster ? Please suggest .

ss80 said:
I do not want to debate on the stock brakes, however the booster does make a lot of difference. Stock brakes in my car needed more muscle power & reaction time, the booster makes the braking job easier & the ride safer.
There is no debate on the stock brakes offered by MUL on the M800 . I mean , I did say that I have no complains from the stock brakes , but if the brakes get better with a booster kit like yours , I will be pleased , very pleased .

And as far as better braking is concerned , I might even think of getting the Bridgestone 165/60R12 71H Potenza GIII tyres . Swap the stock disc and capiler for a bigger one and even get alloys for better cooling of the brakes . But I wish I would get the time for these mods .

ss80 said:
Drive some M800 with Booster fitted & I am sure you will love it. The pipe you are referring to pretty tough and can hold on to its place for years!
I have an idea of booster assisted brakes . I also own a 2004 Honda City and have driven Civics , Corollas and Accords [:)].
So with a booster kit and Bridgestone 165/60 R2 71H Potenza GIII Tyres on a light car as the M800 , I would imagine the braking be as good as the Honda City or even better .

ss80 said:
In carb cars (mine is carb too) the idling will slightly reduce after the booster is fitted, so in traffic conditions till your engine is slightly wamred up. You need to press the throttle gently (to increase idling).
I am sure this is the reason why Varun suggested to increase the idling rmp .

ss80 said:
IT IS SAFE & WORTH THE MONEY SPENT, GO FOR IT. Accessories like ICE etc alone eat up 5K (min) to 50K (or even more), better brakes always keeps you safe.
I can't agree with you more . You cannot put a price on priceless things like the safety of your life and the lives of family members and anyone who rides in your car .

Spinner-Wheelz

Yes the idling should be maintained around 800-1000 (if I ma not wrong) so that the booster gets enough vacuum..

165/60 R12 will be a good set of tires but it will touch the rear arches of your car (when car is fully loaded),
I have 155/70 these are also a good set.. even these use to touch the wheel arches but now solved..

165/60 R12 will be a good set of tires but it will touch the rear arches of your car (when car is fully loaded),
I have 155/70 these are also a good set.. even these use to touch the wheel arches but now solved..

The 165/60 R12 Potenza GIII tyres are the best tyres one can get for his M800 , as far as grip is concerned , without any issues . I have driven with these 165/60 R12 tyres shod on Neo alloy wheels ( Bullet ) and had no issues with clearance . The rear wheels didnot touch anywhere , nor did the front wheels touch even under full steering . We were four people in the car .
The only thing I observed is that the steering got a bit harder , due to the grip of the 165/60R12 compared to the 145/70R12 stock tyres .

When you mention the 155/70 .. are you talking about the 155/70R13 tyres ? and what brand are they ?

Thanks

Spinner-Wheelz

The 155/70 r12 are good years.I have heard that Michelins provide good grip because they use softer compounds, they cause less fuel to burn are help in giving good overall mileage.The dealer I got my tyres(bridgestones 145/80 r 12) from showed me a demo of a ball made using michelin rubber and it traveled greater distance that a similar rubber ball of similar weight made using different compund/manufacturer.I went with bridgestones because I was told other than Mrf's these last long and have good grip and are vastly better than mrf's.If you have a budget in mind yokohamas too are good tyres.But nothing can save you from bad roads and nails all tyres are susceptible.Tyre milk is a good way to slow down the air loss in case of a puncture.So far Tyre milk+nitrogen, seems to be the best way to go.

Last edited:

Yes it reduces the pain, nothing but the pressure which we put on the brake pedal is reduced..

Thread Starter #44

Tyre milk is a good way to slow down the air loss in case of a puncture.So far Tyre milk+nitrogen, seems to be the best way to go.
What is this tyre milk? First time I am seeing this word, please throw some light on this [confused]

Google Ultraseal/Slime/Air Milk/Tyre Protector/Thakor Drive-on
Tyre Milk as it is called is a gel based sealant that is pumped into the tyre in the same way air would.Some require the valve core to be removed and then re inserted upon completion.The tyres need to be balanced though to prevent wobble at high speeds.The gel flows inside the tyre when in motion and blocks any puncture upto certain limits.The installation if done properly is very effective.But it does play havoc with internal TPMS sensors(Tyre pressure monitoring systems).
The gels are help in cool running of the tyre which in turn increases tyre life as claimed by a lot of the manufacturers.

Last edited:

Top Bottom