Bought TVS Jupiter via Whatsapp...Wot?

Yeah my Wego is doing good now.

We bought a Honda Activa 3G now and I compared it side by side.

Pros of Activa:
+Faster than Wego.

+Smooth on any speed.

+Good braking (CBS).

Cons of Activa:
-Hard Seat

-Jerky engine. It would pickup speed like a slouch from 0-20 kmph and after that pulls like a mad horse till 50 kmph and later loses breath.

-Old linking type front suspension. Going over bumps are like getting hit on a wall[frustration]

-Conventional shock absorbers at rear (compared to the gas charged ones found on the Wego and
Jupiter).

-Very shaky (unstable at speeds 50-70, esp. with a pillion).

-Very common. Almost everyone has a Activa now as second ride.

-Very costly spare parts and quality is not that good for the cost.

Pros of Wego:
+Linear acceleration.

+Good ergonomics. Try leaning over a corner on both Activa and Wego. You will feel the Body Balance Technology doing its work, feels awesome on the corners made of smooth tarmac.

+Frugal engine with the 'working' Econometer (the econometer present on the Scooty series are a joke, its like a toy). The econometer correctly identifies the factors like quick acceleration, stressed engine, going over a huge bump (the 'Power' indicator lights up when we go over a huge pothole), etc. It is very good.

+Comfortable seat.

+The Telescopic suspension equipped on front and the gas charged shock absorbers on back gives you the best riding experience on a scooter. No scooter I rode is as comfortable as the TVS cousins (Wego and Jupiter).

+Accurate digital speedometer and fuel meter. The speedo gets the current speed directly from engine instead of using front wheel sensor. And you don't have to wait for sometime for checking the fuel meter like bikes and scooters with analog fuel meter.

+Wide spread torque range.

+Good looks. Black Alloys and a better shape (compared to the boxy look of Activa).

+Cheaper maintenance and spare parts compared to Activa.

Cons of Wego:
-Some minor issues like HL switch getting stuck between Low beam and High beam mode so the lights wont work till you set them correctly.

-Slower acceleration than Activa in a straight road.

This is my comparison. Correct me if I am wrong.
Thank you.

bhvm

Honoured Member
RVSB,
Can we convert Old activa (2007) Braking system to CBS by replacing some components?
I Asked honda Showroom but they said Not possible.

RVSB,
Can we convert Old activa (2007) Braking system to CBS by replacing some components?
I Asked honda Showroom but they said Not possible.
@bhvm

Its very much possible bro.
You need:
->Brake levers and yoke of CBS model
->Brake cables of CBS model
->Front brake arm of CBS model.

Just give those to a mechanic you trust and tell him to fit the brakes on the old Activa as he would do on the newer generation Activas.
Thank you.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Oh That would be great.
The question remains about finding decent enough mechanic for the Job. I've been always going to Company SVC for maintenance.

Thanks for the input.

The question remains about finding decent enough mechanic for the Job. I've been always going to Company SVC for maintenance.
It's not that tough bro.
Buy these parts, go to any local mechanic and ask how much he needs for the labor.
The mechanic is just required to fit these so only labor charges.
I think it would be max. Rs. 700 as the headlight assembly needs to be fully took apart, front wheel rim and brake assembly needs to be fully dismantled to fit the CBS brakes and the seat and side panels 'maybe' removed because the rear brake wiring will be modified for the CBS to work (when you apply rear brake, front brake will also engage. For that, the wiring should be replaced).

Actually, those who are new to riding scooters (we both are obviously not!) finds these CBS (Combi brake, SYNC system, etc all are the one and the same with different names though) a bit useful. Even with the CBS system in my Activa, I manage to unintentionally skid. The bad part is both the wheels skid at the same time when I apply just the rear brake alone. My suggestion would be stay away from CBS. If one cable snapped, you should replace all the cables. If you just replace the cable that got cut, the other cable which you claim good will soon get snapped. I had this experience on my friend's Dio (2015 model). And experienced guys wont find this useful. No CBS system will be as great as both your hands. I feel you are just trying to waste your money for a system which only noobs will find it useful.
Thank you.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
RVSB,
Your quote is Spot on. However, I am not worried about myself who can manually manage 60~40 Distribution. I am more concerned about Mom & Sister who always thinks that front brake is a sin and Manage on Rear brakes alone. Hence their stopping distance is always huge.

Last month, the SVC guy told that condition of rear brake was worn out but front brake was not used at all. Hence I thought about CBS. BTW, I was not aware that CBS can cause Both wheels to skid. I guess CBS is quite useless without ABS. However, I do not have any experience of CBS other than very short test drives etc.

So I guess as per your suggestion I will delay installing CBS and stay stock for now.

Mom & Sister who always thinks that front brake is a sin and Manage on Rear brakes alone. Hence their stopping distance is always huge.
Actually, front brake is the aid to prevent rear wheel skidding and vice-versa. Just tell them that the rear tyre will soon get bald and a new MRF tyre will cost Rs. 3000. (mom is the only one in the home who is very very conscious in spending[lol])
Just joking bro, dont take it serious. BTW, it is very dangerous (esp. on scooters with linking suspension like Activa, Dio, Kinetic Honda, etc) when only the front brake is applied from 45/50 kmph. The front just raises and skids to either of the sides where the scooter is slightly leaned left or right. And it runs to a scary accident.
I experienced this on my Kinetic Honda (the time when I was fully fascinated about it[:D]). It was raining and I was exploring how the brakes and the bike react when applied too much. I applied only the front brake at speed 50 and the wet road and the bald front tyre resulted a skid. I jumped off but Kinetic was fully done, indicators broken, guards bent, mudguard dented, etc all in one front wheel skid, thanks to the linking type suspension!!. From that, I stayed away from Honda scooters (except Aviator, which is the best for me till now).

BTW, I was not aware that CBS can cause Both wheels to skid. I guess CBS is quite useless without ABS.
Even now if I get a bit more energetic, I could hop on my Activa, rip it to some speeds like 50-65 kmph, stand up a bit and apply only the rear brake lever hard. You will hear the *sweet* squeaking sound of both the MRF tyres.
But you could always loosen the CBS' front brake arm a bit (there will be two extensions from the brake arm, you might have seen it) to reduce the amount of braking applied to the front wheel when only rear brake is used.
Disclaimer: I do not encourage/promote unsafe and insane riding in public roads.

So I guess as per your suggestion I will delay installing CBS and stay stock for now.
Yeah, now only had a conversation with my mechanic about this CBS.
He told that it can be fitted and the components alone costs about Rs. 1500.
And he charges about Rs. 1000 to fit them for me personally (he is my primary and trustworthy mechanic so he costs sensible to me). So around Rs. 1300 for labour.
1500+1500=3000 just for a system which would make both the wheels skid.
I personally won't do it, instead I will train my hands to be more precise than CBS system.

Bhvm bro, you could teach them to use front brakes instead of spending 3k.[;)]
No offence bro.
It will be useful and easy for them to ride any scooter after learning how to use both the brakes instead of using only the rear brake with CBS equipped.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #41
Did you consider any other like Activa 125 or Aviator from Honda. Why did you mean towards Jupiter. I liked combi brake of Honda.
Hi, welcome to TAI, I think the Activa 125 was launched last year, I did not consider the Hero or Honda's, as I felt telescopic front & gas filled rear shocks, as well as 12" both wheels were the highlights to be considered in the Jupiter, besides the balance, which has been carried over from the Wego.

TD the latest Jupiter with disk brakes, and feel the difference, I'm talking about.

I completely agree what Mr. Nanofreak told.

The Hondas are good in just engine 'smoothness'. The engine too is not perfect in torque range, peak, etc. They are just raw in power (that's why the Navi is so fun to ride). They are smooth, powerful and frugal. But you aren't buying a scooter just for that 110cc engine. You should consider comfort, safety, convenience, etc. The Jupiter may not be as powerful as Activa but it has enough power to cruise comfortably even at 70 kmph. The Jupiter may not be as frugal as Activa/Aviator (Activa's mileage is 40-50 kmpl based on type of riding) but it gives around 45 kmpl no matter how much you beat it. The seat is better compared to the ones on the Hondas. TVS scooters' seats are very plush which is a boon to the office commuters, personal experience on my Wego, My Mom never complained about wrist pain or back pain which she encountered with Activa/Aviator. And the brakes in Activa are tad spongy. And that front brake is a pain to operate as this situation occurs frequently: pull the front brake lever a little hard, the front wheel will be lifting itself up and finally it goes sideways and makes you have a taste of tarmac. I hate that suspension on Activa but Aviator is good. And build quality of Jupiter is rock stable whereas you could literally play with Activa's metal side panels. Those metal side panels are flexible like plastic/fiber. [frustration] Activa's plastics too are not that good. Overall I hate the fit and finish on Honda scooters. No offence to anyone but I personally love Honda for their engines and hate it for their absurd/pathetic build quality and comfort.

My suggestions will be:-
Take the Activa/Aviator for better engine; avoid it for bad comfort, bad overall quality and very costly spare parts.
Take the Wego/Jupiter for good engine, good comfort, good overall quality, reasonably priced spare parts; avoid it for small niggles like side stand spring problem (you need to use your hand to place the side stand spring correctly in monsoon) and highbeam lowbeam switch problem (you need to operate the switch for two to three times for the light to work because it gets stuck in between the two beams, this also happens in monsoon).

Thank you.

Thread Starter #43
Update @3k km, in 21 months
DSC_0653.JPG
DSC_0654.JPG
Love the ride, nothing spent excepting fuel since the last service at 900km, in July 2016. When should I get the engine oil changed? looking at low running I do, do pour in your valuable thoughts.

Update @3k km, in 21 months
View attachment 223848
View attachment 223849
Love the ride, nothing spent excepting fuel since the last service at 900km, in July 2016. When should I get the engine oil changed? looking at low running I do, do pour in your valuable thoughts.
Congrats sirjee. If I were you, I would change the oil if I feel it is loosing its thickness or well before it turns black. Mine has clocked 15k kms. Will change tyres to Michellin by month end. The existing tyres have gone almost bald.

Thread Starter #45
Congrats sirjee. If I were you, I would change the oil if I feel it is loosing its thickness or well before it turns black. Mine has clocked 15k kms. Will change tyres to Michellin by month end. The existing tyres have gone almost bald.
Thanks @Rahul, sorry did not update this thread for a long time. I got the Jupiter's 5th paid service, and changed the engine oil and filter, it was about 3.4k km.

Michelin tyres should be better than the TVS oem, do update us about the ride after the change.

Regards
Vinod

Top Bottom