Boot Lighting DIY for My Spark

Great Job., I also put a boot light on my alto. it is a cabin light of omni. not powerful but its doing the duty well

Congrats Sethu Sir, Its a nice DIY.

Small Suggestion:
Next time try to fix a car battery powered Boot lamp like Esteem's or any other car. Then there will be no need for replacing these batteries & it will switch on as soon as you open the hatch door. If you have any warranty issues related to cutting/joining wiring, you can always pull a wire from battery +ve/ Roof cabin switch & connect it to the light.

Small Suggestion:
Next time try to fix a car battery powered Boot lamp like Esteem's or any other car. Then there will be no need for replacing these batteries & it will switch on as soon as you open the hatch door. If you have any warranty issues related to cutting/joining wiring, you can always pull a wire from battery +ve/ Roof cabin switch & connect it to the light.
Can you please elaborate how to do this.

The body of the car is always the negative point, for a new boot lamp to be placed all we need to do is this
1. Buy a Boot lamp (preferably with switch like Omni cabin lamp)
2. Draw a wire from the positive point of the battery of your car & pull it below the carpet all the way till it reaches the boot area.
3. The Boot lamp (Omni lamp) works in three modes - 1. Off, 2. Negative is connected to The hatch door switch & 3.Permanently on (negative is connected to ground/body)

If the above idea is very lengthy then just pull out the front cabin lamp cover & you will find three points & 2 wires (One wire is positive & other wire is door switches). Just join parallel wires to them/solder it to those points (without cutting the OEM wires) & connected this parallel wire to the rear boot lamp.

For the above idea, which I am using currently in my car, I dont need any external battery but it will serve the purpose very well without overloading my battery.

OT: Mr.Sethu your idea has one unique advantage though, in case of a puncture on a dark highway/ similar situation you can just pull out the 3-battery operated LED you have & use it like a torch too.

Sample pic from internet (Cardekho.com)

Attachments

Hi DarkKnight,
Please read the warranty terms & conditions in your car manual carefully before you start this DIY. Some times car companies have crazy terms & conditions regarding warranty etc.

All the best.

I've been warned!![:)]

Thanks for cautioning me. Will check with the dealership. Better yet, will ask them to do it for me. Let me see what they tell me about this.

My car is a 2010 September model and it is covered under the Chevrolet 3 Year promise warranty.

Will check with the dealership tonight.

Thanks again.

*EDIT*
PS: I checked my car's hatch door. Its not linked to the Door Ajar Alert or the Roof Lamp. Only the 4 side doors have the Door Ajar alert/Roof Lamp switches on.
So, we have to get around this particualr limitation if we are to have the light switch on when we open the hatch door(Boot door).

Last edited:
Thread Starter #23
Great Job., I also put a boot light on my alto. it is a cabin light of omni. not powerful but its doing the duty well
You can try some LED bulb as I did in my spark cabin light.
LED Cabin

Effect of the same

But this might be costly affair for boot light. It costs me Rs. 250/-

Small Suggestion:
First I wanted to have a wired one only. But after thinking of wire cutting, warranty etc etc i have decided to have this. More over if we are doing direct connection and if we forgot to switch it off it might have affect in battery since I am not using my sparky on daily basis.

The body of the car is always the negative point, for a new boot lamp to be placed all we need to do is this
1. Buy a Boot lamp (preferably with switch like Omni cabin lamp)
2. Draw a wire from the positive point of the battery of your car & pull it below the carpet all the way till it reaches the boot area.
3. The Boot lamp (Omni lamp) works in three modes - 1. Off, 2. Negative is connected to The hatch door switch & 3.Permanently on (negative is connected to ground/body)

If the above idea is very lengthy then just pull out the front cabin lamp cover & you will find three points & 2 wires (One wire is positive & other wire is door switches). Just join parallel wires to them/solder it to those points (without cutting the OEM wires) & connected this parallel wire to the rear boot lamp.

For the above idea, which I am using currently in my car, I dont need any external battery but it will serve the purpose very well without overloading my battery.

OT: Mr.Sethu your idea has one unique advantage though, in case of a puncture on a dark highway/ similar situation you can just pull out the 3-battery operated LED you have & use it like a torch too.

Sample pic from internet (Cardekho.com)
How do you pull wire from front boot to inside car?

Regarding using LED as torch is good idea. I also have LED torch in my sparky always.

Thank you for the detailed explanation SS80.

Will try to do this tommorow and get back to you with the results.
Best of luch Darkknight. I think I am replying to this message little bit lately. You might have completed the DIY. Pls let us know.

Hi DarkKnight,
Please read the warranty terms & conditions in your car manual carefully before you start this DIY. Some times car companies have crazy terms & conditions regarding warranty etc.

All the best.
This is the main reason I tried this LED Anand[;)]

I've been warned!![:)]

Thanks for cautioning me. Will check with the dealership. Better yet, will ask them to do it for me. Let me see what they tell me about this.

My car is a 2010 September model and it is covered under the Chevrolet 3 Year promise warranty.

Will check with the dealership tonight.

Thanks again.

*EDIT*
PS: I checked my car's hatch door. Its not linked to the Door Ajar Alert or the Roof Lamp. Only the 4 side doors have the Door Ajar alert/Roof Lamp switches on.
So, we have to get around this particualr limitation if we are to have the light switch on when we open the hatch door(Boot door).
Even I my sparky does not have boot ajar alert friend.

Sorry Sethu Sir, I assumed that you are using the car everyday. Although the switch I mentioned has a mode to completely switch off it, its can drain battery if it is in "Door mode" & someone else closes the hatch door improperly.

Is your cabin LED blue? or is it the reflector?

Thread Starter #25
Sorry Sethu Sir, I assumed that you are using the car everyday. Although the switch I mentioned has a mode to completely switch off it, its can drain battery if it is in "Door mode" & someone else closes the hatch door improperly.
I was little bit afraid of that part. Since some times I request my kidos get something from car if they forget to switch it off or as you said if the door is not properly closed it might be on always. unless like normal cabin door boot light may not be visible when the boot door is closed and it might go unnoticed also. In past some times I have left the cabin light on position and some one in the apartment will tell us about it and we switch it off immediately. But it may not be in the case of boot light.

Is your cabin LED blue? or is it the reflector?
Do not understand this. It is in white in color.

Thread Starter #29
TDK, I do not know much about the bulb. I just asked the guy at accessories shop and he fixed it for me. I did not asked for any brand [at that time I was not so active in TAI so did not discussed much here]. It costs me around Rs. 250. Pls look at the PM I had sent to you

@Sethu
you gave me an inspiration for lighting up boot area, i always wanted a boot light but was unsure how to do it. moreover i was afraid of
1. warranty issues
2. wiring, cutting wires accidentally (not that i am afraid to do it but the warranty)
3. getting a good enclosure for the bulb

but after much time and gathering courage i asked my MASS to do it. and they did it. please check this

thanks for the inspiration.

Top Bottom