BMW To Release New Sub-Brand Called ‘i’

Thread Starter #1
After years of speculation, BMW has officially announced plans to introduce their new sub-brand on Monday, February 21st. While the company is staying coy on details, the new 'i-Setta' brand will be launched with the highly-anticipated 2013 Megacity. It will measure approximately four meters long and have a lightweight carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) body that weighs 250 to 350 kilograms (551 to 772 pounds) less than a conventional steel body. Read more: BMW to launch new sub-brand on Monday

Attachments

Re: BMW Releasing New Sub-Brand

Here I go with few more details

Bayerische Motoren Werke (BMW) is all set to launch a new sub-brand called “Project-i” on Monday, 21st of February, 2011. This is a very important step taken forward in BMW history to badge it’s future electric vehicles by this new brand name “i”. BMW’s chief designer Adrian Van Hooydonk says that the new “Megacity” car will drive BMW into the future, where BMW will become the World’s leader in premium electric automobiles.

“The sub-brand offers a chance to innovate as well as feature BMW’s customary design quality and detailing,” he added. BMW is investing €400 million ( $547.36 million) in the new infrastructure and machinery for it’s new sub-brand located at Leipzig, Germany. The Megacity evolves after the test mules such as Mini E and ActiveE and will come as a two door, four seater initially.

The battery packs will be 35 kWh under the floor powering the rear wheels with 150 hp electric motor. Driving range expected is 160 km and top speed of 153 kmph. The next two additional models named as ICV and MCV will have two door, two seater and four door, five seater configuration respectively. They will follow after the launch of Megacity.
Source : ICB

Any updates guys , today is 22nd?

And wont there a problem from Hyundai if Bmw uses "i"?

Meet BMW's all-new sub-brand, called BMW i - and no, it's not related to any electronics company. BMW i will focus on the cream of BMW's efficiency crop when it launches overseas in 2013, the first two models being the i3 city car and i8 sports car.

BMW board member Ian Robertson explained: “BMW i offers visionary cars and services, inspiring design, and an entirely new concept of premium mobility - all with a focus on sustainability.”

To that end, the BMW i3 (which was previously previewed as the Megacity Vehicle) will be BMW's first mass-produced urban vehicle to be driven by electric power alone.

The i8 sports car, on the other hand, is formed around the Vision EfficientDynamics concept car and its plug-in hybrid drivetrain claims to combine true high performance with the efficiency and emissions of a small car.

We truly hope that the i8's drivetrain resembles that of the concept, which BMW has described as being near-production-ready. For the record, the Vision ED mates a 1.5-litre three-cylinder turbodiesel to an electric motor for a system output of 265kW - and the car weighs just 1395kg!

i-bmw.jpg
This new badge will come to symbolise the epitome of BMW efficiency.

Both the i3 and i8 are based on a high-tech construction concept known as LifeDrive architecture. An aluminium chassis houses the powertrain, and the passenger cell is made from high-strength but extremely lightweight carbon fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP).

BMW's Klaus Draeger said: “Both cars have been designed specifically for their respective alternative drive systems. We used the innovative architecture and CFRP to cancel out practically all of the extra weight added by the batteries.”

i-car.jpg

Good news for gadget geeks is that a wide range of mobility services (which can also be used independently of the cars) will be an integral part of BMW i. This means that you can expect car-enabled mobility services, such as smart navigation systems with local information, intermodal route planning and premium car-sharing, to be available in these new BMWs - at least in 'developed' markets.

The company is also forming partnerships with other companies to keep its customers well connected, a perfect example being My City Way. This mobile application keeps you up to speed with information on parking availability, public transport and local entertainment for over 40 cities in the USA. Another 40 (as yet unnamed) cities will be part of the global rollout, according to BMW.

Source : IOL

350Z

Core Team

BMW i3 will debut on July 29, 2013. Some spy shots.

4798018071662564339.jpg

8463267591800614988.jpg

1821173023953390773.jpg

739632890146963815.jpg

20839131984267929.jpg
Source: Worldcarfans.com​

Drive Safe,
350Z

350Z

Core Team
Re: BMW To Release New Sub-Brand Called ‘i’

BMW has announced the starting price for upcoming i3 EV which debuts next week on 29th.

> Price in UK: 25,680 GBP

> Price in USA: 41,350 USD

> Price in Germany: 34,950 EUR

BMW-i3.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom