Blue Oval: The Ford Motor Company. Your Likes & Dislikes?

I think Ford India is in the right strategy, Localize products and export. Creates Jobs and capability in India. And besides for its 3 main products, Ecosport and Figo twins long term maintenance will be cheaper as many parts are sourced from India compared to Fiesta or VW cars where even batteries come from Spain. I think once the Figo twins gain some reputation for being relatively low maintenance, they can bring in a Sedan with backseat space rivaling City and Kugga equivalent and Fiesta Hatch version to compete with I20 and Baleno. But for that they need to develop suppliers within India. SO far only Maruti, Hyundai, Tata and Mahindra apart from Ford have too many of their parts made locally. I think Honda are also getting there.
VW group vehicles will always be a nightmare to maintain since many of the parts get shipped over from Europe.

I hope they can localize and produce the NA and Turbo charged Dragon series 1.2 and 1.5 liter Petrol Engines, Eco blue 1.5l and 2.0l Diesel Engines. This will keep them in the game.
I dont see a chance for ecoblue engines in India at least till 2020,
But I see a fair chance of a Ford Kuga/Escape launch in India by 2018 with the 1.5l 120 HP 300 NM diesel and 1.5l 150 HP 240 NM ecoboost petrol , but the variants will be limited like there wont be AWD, and maybe just 2 variants for petrol and diesel 3 like Trend,Titanium for petrol and Trend,Titanium,Titanium+ for diesel

Their strategy is good, but they are too slow in the process,Ford India actually in in urgent need of a premium hatch back, a global Fiesta hatch is a MUST in India, the 7-12 lakhs car market is the hottest market in India, a new Fiesta with the same 1.5l 100 HP 215 NM diesel and 1.0 ecoboost petrol in 6 or 7 trim levels will do wonders for Ford India, specially if its the newly launched one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUG68AC4Mk4
I dont expect all those features, but basics like ABS,Airbags, auto AC,bluetooth,USB,parking sensors with reverse cam itself would make this a huge huge success

I think Ford India is in the right strategy, Localize products and export. Creates Jobs and capability in India. And besides for its 3 main products, Ecosport and Figo twins long term maintenance will be cheaper as many parts are sourced from India compared to Fiesta or VW cars where even batteries come from Spain. I think once the Figo twins gain some reputation for being relatively low maintenance, they can bring in a Sedan with backseat space rivaling City and Kugga equivalent and Fiesta Hatch version to compete with I20 and Baleno. But for that they need to develop suppliers within India. SO far only Maruti, Hyundai, Tata and Mahindra apart from Ford have too many of their parts made locally. I think Honda are also getting there.
VW group vehicles will always be a nightmare to maintain since many of the parts get shipped over from Europe.

I hope they can localize and produce the NA and Turbo charged Dragon series 1.2 and 1.5 liter Petrol Engines, Eco blue 1.5l and 2.0l Diesel Engines. This will keep them in the game.
"VW group vehicles........since many of the parts get shipped over from Europe". Amazing really! And yet this same emissions-tainted company had no trouble (according to contemporary reports) localalizing almost complete cars in apartheid S. Africa, when they were happily defying world opinion regarding human rights violations. These so-called tech-leader prima donnas should be shown the door forthwith - but, as always, our world is a bean-counter's paradise & these cos. will continue exploiting India's terrific manufacturing infra. incentives.

Ford's India bet rests on M&M partnership, desperate to avoid a GM-like exit - Moneycontrol.com

End of the road for Ford? I am planning to buy the facelift Ecosport but this article raises several doubts! Experts, please share your views.
I do not see Ford leaving the Indian shores soon. Their focus has been on export, than the domestic market, but they have also been working to improve their brand image with the last few campaigns. I would take the article with a pinch of salt, as its very speculative and based entirely on the Ford and Mahindra deal, without taking into consideration any profit numbers or future launch plans of the brand.

It would be wrong to compare it to General Motors. General motors had been showing the signs for a while, by hardly updating their products, selling the same old products and not even updating their engine with the new government norms. On the other hand, Ford has recently invested in the production of the petrol engines in India, seeing the move towards petrol after the NGT decisions. Moreover, they have invested in the Ecosport to compete with the other brands, and kept the pricing competitive. The Figo and Aspire twins aren't doing huge numbers but they are still not bad when compared with then European brands. In terms of customer focus, it has improved a lot over the years, with Ford India taking initiatives to reach out to the customer to get feedback after every service.
The deal with Mahindra would surely help both the brands, but I dont think it is the end of the road for Ford, if the deal does not work out.

I do not see Ford leaving the Indian shores soon. Their focus has been on export, than the domestic market, but they have also been working to improve their brand image with the last few campaigns. I would take the article with a pinch of salt, as its very speculative and based entirely on the Ford and Mahindra deal, without taking into consideration any profit numbers or future launch plans of the brand.

It would be wrong to compare it to General Motors. General motors had been showing the signs for a while, by hardly updating their products, selling the same old products and not even updating their engine with the new government norms. On the other hand, Ford has recently invested in the production of the petrol engines in India, seeing the move towards petrol after the NGT decisions. Moreover, they have invested in the Ecosport to compete with the other brands, and kept the pricing competitive. The Figo and Aspire twins aren't doing huge numbers but they are still not bad when compared with then European brands. In terms of customer focus, it has improved a lot over the years, with Ford India taking initiatives to reach out to the customer to get feedback after every service.
The deal with Mahindra would surely help both the brands, but I dont think it is the end of the road for Ford, if the deal does not work out.
Couple of points that drew my attention which might not be speculation:
1. They claim that for last 25 years, Ford India has lost money, is this true?
2. India isn't the only location that is in soup. South America and Europe are also under the scanner
3. Most global companies are looking at their return on investments
4. Ford's export strategy is really a cushion else Ford India would have shut shops many years ago. Their export numbers are a good 1.5-2 times the India sales.
5. They mention "a top company official" whoever that person is! [confused]

Frankly this media report seems to be paid piece of news now that the new Ecosport is released and interest is growing. Why would a company build new engines and investments and pull out of a market.? Regarding ROO export models will.be sold with very little mark up where the markets where these are sold will earn profits for the group.

Couple of points that drew my attention which might not be speculation:
1. They claim that for last 25 years, Ford India has lost money, is this true?
2. India isn't the only location that is in soup. South America and Europe are also under the scanner
3. Most global companies are looking at their return on investments
4. Ford's export strategy is really a cushion else Ford India would have shut shops many years ago. Their export numbers are a good 1.5-2 times the India sales.
5. They mention "a top company official" whoever that person is! [confused]
Ford India has not been able to get long term profit out of India for the past 25 years.but short term profit , of course yes, think how many GM vehicles in the past 10 years had a waiting period while launched? Their prodicts for India were Korean made cheap cars and it was pure descrimination,
Ford has stellar market busters like Fiesta MK I, Figo and Ecosport, remember Indias most selling C sedan is Honda City till 2011 and 2nd largest was Verna closely following it was Ford Fiesta TDCi.
In hatch back segment also, Indias 2nd best selling hatch back for 3 years ie 2010,11,12 was Figo TDCi, only in 2013 the i20 overtook Ford,
In compact suv segment again Indias biggest seller for 2 years was Ecosport,
Also just look at JD power survey and Resale survey reports from various institutes, Ford has been consistently been in top 5 for reliability and in after sales its said that after Innova and Fortuner Ecosport has the highest resale value of any car sold in India.

India is in radar as India is touted to become worlds 3rd largest car market after China and US by 2022,

Most global companies are looking back for cost cutting and saving costs for electrification, Fords strategy is a Ford Model T, that is most affordable electric car for mass, and that has nothing to do with developing countries, the new CEO Jim Hackett however is conservative and is not a fan of mid orofit markets, so the huge initial investlents might not come,but may not close business in developong markets ,
Ford closed Indonesia opperation because of trade issues, most people in Indonesia used Ford vehicles as Taxis, even big vehicles were used as Taxis and gave sheer distress to brand , very few owned and took care of Ford,GM etc in Indionesia because Mitsubishi,Toyota,Honda etc has too much power in those markets and people there in general hates America and Americans psychologically which led to closure.

Export of new Ecosport to US will be from India. So it makes no sense to close domestic operation if exports to such a big market is there and coincidentally same product is sold locally as the best seller of its own makes.

I suspect this is just a speculative news or as adivik says, a paid news to put a bad image against a strong come back of Ford.

Frankly this media report seems to be paid piece of news now that the new Ecosport is released and interest is growing. Why would a company build new engines and investments and pull out of a market.? Regarding ROO export models will.be sold with very little mark up where the markets where these are sold will earn profits for the group.
I too see a paid news here man, spcially since Datsun,Glee,Peugeot, Kia, etc are trying to enter enterIndia they need a gap , at least 1 out of 10 misinformed car buyer will rethink buying Forf after reading this, the press is powerful enough to do wonders.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Ford India Sales Reach 27,019 Vehicles in November

· November Domestic wholesales grew to 7,777 units; exports recorded 19,242 vehicles

· Comprehensively redesigned new Ford EcoSport being loved by customers for its fun-to-drive capabilities, stylish look, class-leading technology and powerful performance;

· Ford also inaugurated a new Technical Training Centre in Sanand, aimed to make budding technicians job ready by equipping them with necessary skills & know-how

NEW DELHI, December 01, 2017 – Ford India’s combined domestic wholesales and exports in November reached 27,019 vehicles from 21,004 vehicles in the same month last year.

Domestic wholesales in November rose to 7,777 vehicles from 6,876 units a year ago, driven by recently introduced compact SUV new Ford EcoSport. November Exports rose to a record 19,242 vehicles, the highest-ever in Ford India’s history, from 14,128 units last year.

November was all about the New Ford EcoSport. Our fun, stylish, powerful and connected compact SUV is winning the hearts and minds of customers, not only with its introductory price but the whole host of features,” said Anurag Mehrotra, President & Managing Director, Ford India. “We are confident of maintaining this sales momentum getting into 2018, despite macroeconomic indicators suggesting volatility in inflation and crude prices impacting the industry growth over the near-medium term.”

Ford introduced the comprehensively redesigned New EcoSport on Nov. 9 at an introductory price of INR 731,200. The new compact SUV features 1,600 changes, including rugged new looks, sleek interiors, a raft of ingenious technologies and a new engine, offering best-in-class power & outstanding efficiency.

The new Ford EcoSport comes with a choice of Ford’s renowned 1.5L TDCi diesel engine and all-new three cylinders 1.5 L TiVCT petrol engine, both generating peak power of 100 PS and 123 PS respectively. The petrol engine is also offered with an all-new, six-speed automatic transmission. The compact SUV features a host of class-leading convenience, driver assist and in-car technologies.

In November, Ford also inaugurated its new Technical Training Center at Sanand, with an aim to equip a pool of talented and skilled technicians at Ford dealerships to deliver a differentiated after-sales experience. Spread over 17,000 square feet with an integrated Mechanical and Body Shop, the Technical Training Center is fourth such facility that Ford has set up in its efforts to further enhance the after-sales experience for customers.
Regards

Akash

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Ford India Sales Reached 29,795 Vehicles in December

· Ford India domestic wholesales in December record 5,087 units; Exports grows to 24,708 vehicles

· Continuing on growth trajectory, Ford India ends the year with double-digit growth in combined domestic wholesales and exports in 2017 with 262,784 vehicle

· Newly launched Ford EcoSport continues to draw enthusiastic response; Export to North America commences

NEW DELHI, India, January 2, 2018 – Ford India’s combined domestic wholesales and exports in December recorded 29,795 vehicles compared to 23,470 vehicles in the same month last year, registering a growth of 27%.

The company sold 5,087 vehicles in domestic wholesales compared to 5,566 vehicles the corresponding month last year. Exports in December stood at 24,708 vehicles against 17, 904 vehicles a year ago.

Ending the year with sustained growth, the combined domestic wholesales and exports in CY 2017 stood at 262,784 vehicles compared to 238,098 units in CY 2016 – recording its highest production & wholesale volume ever.

2017 saw the Indian automotive industry overcome challenges precipitated by the implementation of GST, increased inflation, after-effects of demonetization, rising crude prices and volatile regulatory environment to register growth,” said Anurag Mehrotra, president & managing director, Ford India.

At Ford, we remain committed to India as one of our most important markets, and are focused on the strategic pillars, i.e. Strong Brand, Right Products, Competitive Cost and Effective Scale, to build a profitable business.”

Ford’s efforts on delivering differentiated customer experience and surprisingly affordable service cost continue to win customers. The introduction of several industry-first service initiatives, i.e. Service Price Promise and Parts Price Promise is enabling Ford customers to know the exact costs of routine repairs, parts, and maintenance, even before they walk into a dealership.

With two of its world-class plants, Ford continues to deliver on the Make in India promise with the commencement of KA+ exports to mature markets like Europe and New Ford EcoSport to North America.
Regards

Akash

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Ford India Sales Reached 22,535 Vehicles in January​

· Ford India domestic wholesales in January at 9,450 units; Exports grow to 13,085 vehicles

· Unveiled its latest global product offering – the all-new Ford Freestyle, a cool, capable & connected, compact utility vehicle (CUV) for Indian consumers

· Strengthened value offering of the Ford Endeavour by introducing the 2.2L variant with panoramic sunroof

NEW DELHI, India, February 1, 2018 – Ford India’s combined domestic wholesales and exports in January grew to 22,535 vehicles from 14,259 vehicles in the same month last year. The company’s domestic wholesales stood at 9,450 vehicles in January, up from 7,995 vehicles in the same month last year. Exports in the past month grew to 13,253 vehicles from 6,264 vehicles in January 2017.

The all-new Ford EcoSport continues to receive encouraging response from the customers. Complemented with other products in our portfolio, the momentum is helping us post consistent double digit growth,” said Anurag Mehrotra, president & managing director, Ford India. “Exports are continuing to grow at a steady pace as well with the addition of new global markets. We recently started exporting the all-new EcoSport to North America.”

Continuing on its promise to bring products that Indian customers want and value, Ford unveiled its latest global product offering – The All-New Ford Freestyle, a cool, capable & connected, compact utility vehicle (CUV). The all-new product from Ford combines SUV-like robust design, benchmark performance, innovative technologies and outstanding fuel efficiency – for greater choice to consumers in India and markets around the world. Sales of the new compact utility vehicle will commence in the second quarter of 2018.

Just like we did with the EcoSport, we see a lot of potential in offering this compact utility vehicle to meet the SUV owning aspirations of first-time buyers or young achievers who are looking to upgrade their small cars,” Mehrotra added.

In January, Ford also introduced the electric panoramic sunroof on Ford Endeavour 2.2 L variant with an aim to bolster value and feature offering for premium SUV lovers. Ford Endeavour is the most awarded vehicle in its segment and surpasses what consumers expect from a premium SUV. The introduction of electric panoramic sunroof on 2.2L variant further reinforces Ford’s commitment to meet and exceed customer expectations.

Commenting on the union budget for 2018-19 financial year, Mehrotra said: “The budget outlays a clear roadmap to stoke rural economy. The focus on infrastructure development and smart cities also shows government’s pro-growth vision. However, the automotive industry would have liked some concrete steps like lower tax rates, to boost consumer spending.”
Regards

Akash

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Ford India Sales Reached 23,965 Vehicles in February

· Domestic wholesales rose to 9,041 units; Exports stood at 14,924 vehicles

· Strengthened its pan-India footprint with the inauguration new sales, service and spares outlet in Dehradun and Hyderabad

NEW DELHI, India, March 1, 2018 – Ford India’s combined domestic wholesales and exports in February stood at 23,965 vehicles as compared to 24,026 in the same month last year.

The company’s domestic wholesales grew to 9,041 vehicles in February from 8,338 vehicles in the same month last year. Exports were at 14,924 units compared to 15,688 vehicles in February 2017.

Improvements in GDP growth and other industry indicators continue to support the year on year growth of the auto industry,” said Anurag Mehrotra, president and managing director, Ford India. “However, there are headwinds in terms of impending increase in interest rates, crude prices, and inflation. We also believe the increase in customs duty and the cess of exports will drive up prices, with a potential of impacting demand.”

Ford India expanded its sales and service footprint in February with the inauguration two new sales and service outlets in Dehradun and Hyderabad, respectively. The new facilities will help extend the joy of owning a Ford vehicle to even more customers.

The company also announced its decision to raise prices of all its vehicles by up to 4% from March 1, 2018, after the Indian government’s decision to increase import duty on auto components.
Regards

Akash

The prime difference between Ford and GM was, Ford always had quality vehicles and were fun to drive, crisp and clean ride and handling. Maintenance was a huge pain which actually pulled down the company.
One the biggest problem with GM was it replaced the brand from Opel to Chevrolet. Secondly, they brought in cheap Chinese products that were worst to use as well as drive. That was because they sold part of their share to a Chinese company that influenced their decision more.

So GM should have stuck to their plan of getting in good products.

The prime difference between Ford and GM was, Ford always had quality vehicles and were fun to drive, crisp and clean ride and handling. Maintenance was a huge pain which actually pulled down the company.
One the biggest problem with GM was it replaced the brand from Opel to Chevrolet. Secondly, they brought in cheap Chinese products that were worst to use as well as drive. That was because they sold part of their share to a Chinese company that influenced their decision more.

So GM should have stuck to their plan of getting in good products.
Even then GM dosent have a good FWD platform on their own, they just had the Opel Corsa,Opel Astra and Opel Insignia platforms as FWD ones and since they were German products its spares and sales and service were more or less same as what Skoda,VW has in India , in short expensive,
What GM could have done is made their own small capacity diesel engine, small torque output Manual gearbox and mechanicals so that the chassis can be used again and again like how Skoda ises VW platforms. AnywayChevrolet didnt just fall off from India but from Europe as well, the only place outside US where GM shines is China and Australia, elsewhere its pathetic, compared to that Ford is kind of cosmopolitan, it survives majority of its markets except a few like Indoanesia.

Just saw Feb 18 Sales, the Figo twins sold 2800 units while the Endeavour sold 814 units- which is pretty good. Ford should keep its frequent price increases in Check, a good Dragon 1.2 engine for the Figo twins, plus if space is better in the Freestyle then they can get around 6-7 K units for the Figo platform, 5K units for Ecosport and 500-800 units for Endeavour. Introduce a Premium hatchback, Sedan and a Kuga/Escape Indian version and they can easily move 20K units in the Indian market in a few years time with many parts except for the Endeavour being supplied from Indian component makers keeping maintenance costs in check.

Top Bottom