Blue Chariot: Tata Nexon XM (P) Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
I had to say goodbye to my first car Tata Indica DLS in 2012 due to poor ASS of Tata and buy a Hyundai Eon [ see thread The Story of My Vehicle Downgrade - Indica Diesel To Eon ] However for last 6 years I continued to miss the spaciuosness the sturdy built of the Indica while driving Eon; Hyundai service was great compared to our experience in Tata and we had no complain regarding their effort to keep my car in well running condition for last 6 years. However with time they have got too familiar so they started thinking of saving my money during scheduled services with disastarous consequences. For example my car got had it clutch burnt out and became motionless in mid highway just 2 weeks after annual maintenance as the service person thought that the partially worn out clutch plate will go few thousand km more. So the car had to be towed to workshop.! So we thought of upgrading to a sedan and after online research zeroed in to VW ameo as our choice; As the nearest VW dealer 150km away in Kolkata we were waiting for an opertunate moment to go there for a test drive and booking. Meanwhile the eon started developing new niggles and tyres needed urgent replacement as they have already run 28K Km. By this time a new Tata dealership opened up just acrossss my township after previous two dealers were cancelled by Tata for poor customer service. After reading positive reviews of Nexon in TAI and other online forum, we decided to have a look at it. So in early July we went to have a look at the car. I am not a fan of fancy fitting; and did not install even a radio in my Eon dlite+ we were planning to buy the base variant XE. We visited the showroom in 2nd of July at sat on the Blue Nexon XZ+ standing there and got bowled over by its space, look and premium feel.

As details of offer on Nexon were not available we told that we will come for Test drive on 7th of July, Saturday

TEST DRIVE EXPERIENCE
on 7th afternoon we reached Bannerjee Automobile to take Test Drive. We found that the Test drive Vehicle is not available a it has gone 50Km away for another customer requested test drive. Meanwhile their Marketing Manager Mr Arijit Bagchi turned out to be a old client of mine.
As we were not sure about the color we will take, he took us to their stock yard where, after surviving strings from poisonous weeds, we saw all variants and colours - and decided tha Blue is the warmest colour among all. We also liked Etna orange - but that was available only in AMT.
As the TD vehicle was late we asked for an assessment of our Eon and a quote and told that we may take XM instead of XE, if we get a good price for our Eon. They offered a good price we decided to take XM variant as it has very useful features like reverse parking sensors and central locking. As it was quiet dark and TD vehicle has not reached, we planned to postpone test drive for the next week. But the manager took initiative and arranged for another car from stock yard to be broght for test drive. I drove the car with their service manager Mr Avijit explaining me various features, He gave us a detailed test drive including driving on pot holes and checking whether the car fits in our parking. After that we decided we will take delivery in a week or two. They were asking for a booking amount but we told give us a quote and we will give you the full amount at delivery - no advance.
DELIVERY
We informed Bannerjee Motors on 13th July that our Bank Draft is ready and whether they can give us the ar the next day. As it is a new dealership with fresh stock, our Blue XM Petrol was readily available and they agreed to deliver it on 14th July afternoon. On that day we took a detail Pre Delivery Inspection of the Car lasting for about 4 hours as it was taking time to finalise papers like insurance policy, Disclaimer from RTO website. The marketing manager said in his 9 years of car selling career, he has never seen a customer take such a detail PDI ever. However he has never sold to a TAI member either. At the end there was a cake cutting ceremony, and car unveiling and key handover ceremony. We handed over the keys of our beloved Eon and got the smart keys of Nexon. There was no offer for Nexon from Tata Motors for Nexon [whereas they are giving offer upto 96000 for Hexa], however on asking The Dealer gave us Full mat and 5 litres of Petrol as gift! We plan to buy Sit covers and extended warranty later. On 14th of July, when Lord Jagannath rides his chariot, we got our Blue Chariot home.
INITIAL OWNERSHIP EXPERIENCE
The quality of Tata cars

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Re: Blue Chariot - Tata Nexon XM (P) ownership review

Congratulations on your new purchase, Blue Chariot - Tata Nexon[clap]

Do not forget to post few pictures of your New Chariot.[:)]

Re: Blue Chariot - Tata Nexon XM (P) ownership review

Congratulations for your new car,
Please share some pictures of your car.
Did you receive the Band Key with the NEXON, if yes, then please share some more info about it.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Congrats on the blue beast!
Nexon is all the rage these days, Seems TATA has hit the sweet spot.
Any specific reason to get the petrol over diesel?

Thread Starter #9
Congrats on the blue beast!
Nexon is all the rage these days, Seems TATA has hit the sweet spot.
Any specific reason to get the petrol over diesel?
As we go about 30km a day, buying a diesel will be a overkill. Moreover, in sports mode the petrol also provide decent pooling power sufficient on city road. I stopped using city mode altogether as the ride is jerky in jam packed road, and fuel saving is minimum.

Nice shots! One question with regards to XM variant. Any issue while using/viewing the music system. Doesn't it give somewhat crammed, confined feeling? Though I had TDed the Nexon, it was on top-end variant. So wanted to check this about XM.

Regards,
Bhushan

Congrats on your nexon purchase.

Can you confirm how is the Nexon petrol NVH while driving in the city. I found the engine noise ,harshness bit on the higher side for a petrol engine and there is a bit of rolling tyre noise too.

Secondly the engine noise slightly got subdued after initial 5 mins, however it is still coarse for a petrol engine.

Can you let me know your observations on the same. (by the way i have test driven a XZA plus and the odomoeter was at 1900 kms on test drive vehicle)

Thread Starter #15
Initial Ownership experience [15 days 500Km]
My observations are -
* Sturdy body - outer sheet could not be pressed in like Eon.
* Eye catching design - everyone is asking "Is it a Tata car?"; Passerby turn around to have a 2nd look. In my opinion, looks best in Blue.
* Premium quality plastics used not only on three colour [Silver, Grey and Piano black] interior, but plastics in bumpers also appear to be of premium quality.
* NVH insulation is good - outside noise is barely heard; Vibration, which was a big issue in Eon, is minimum despite having a 3pot motor
* High sitting position gives good view of road ahead; However thick A pillers and C pillers with small rear glass restrict side view and rear view. The Reverse parking sensor is a welcome tool in this regard.
* Huge 209mm of ground clearance gives confidence in negotiating road craters and mole hill like speed breakers.
* Drivability is best in Sports mode with sportscar like Vroom sound of engine ( a welcome change from kirr-kirr of Indica). It is better to drive in Sports mode in jam packed road - other wise the car becomes jerky in city or eco mode.
* FE varies according to weather conditions, road traffic siuation ad mode employed; Paradoxically I got best FE in highway [21 kmpl as per trip meter] in sports mode rather than in economy mode [18 kmpl]; Overall FE coming out to be 10kmpl as I have to travese [or rather wait in] bumper to traffic everyday.

Top Bottom