Blackberry Mobile Phone Discussions

Thread Starter #16

AMG

Suspended
Re: A Doubt About BlackBerry

Yeah i know.

Well, actually me entire family is planning to pick blackberry phones.

Who knows, we might buy 3 of them together.

Rather than starting a new thread why not re-name this thread "The Blackberry Thread" so we can post all queries about Blackberry Phones & Services.

Now to my question? What is so special about Blackberry. From what I understand, you get push mail (but then other phones offer it too). Then you have the BB messenger. But then the person at the other end needs a BB too. So is it worth it. A lot of people just buy the handsets and don't subscribe to the plans. Just to show off?
Now I'm using a Google Nexus S as my primary phone and my old Nokia E71 as a secondary (on a Vodafone prepaid). I was thinking of replacing this with a Blackberry Curve 8520. Reading the review, I found that it's missing many features of the E71 which is quite an old phone. I will loose GPS, 3G, FM and downgrade from a 3.2 MP camera to a 2.0 MP. I'll gain push mail (for which I'll have to pay) and BB messenger. Is there anything I'm missing here. Should I go for a Blackberry?

No replies? Anyway just wanted to know if you can download and use applications using Wi-fi if I don't take the BB Plan. I heard that all apps etc don't work without a plan.

350Z

Core Team

You are right. I have been also considering to choose this particular set, but having done a comparison with other phones in this range has made me think twice. Can existing users throw some light?

Drive Safe,
350Z

yes that is true. most apps dont work without the plan. for me if i have to pick up a BB, then its gonna be the torch or bold. i actually dont like the curve 8520. but plans in India are soooo cheap!!!

dude its all about blackberry name..just like ppl do for merc.!! [evil]
Yea to a certain extent. But then push mail is a good feature and now with so many people using BB, BBM also makes sense.

yes that is true. most apps dont work without the plan. but plans in India are soooo cheap!!!
So if it take the lowest plan, will the downloads and everything else which needs internet be from the plan or I can then use Wi-fi for most of the stuff. My idea is to take the min plan and then use the unlimited wi-fi i have at home.

for me if i have to pick up a BB, then its gonna be the torch or bold. i actually dont like the curve 8520.
But the Curve is the only affordable Blackberry. Second hand Bold's go for around 9-10K.

Last edited:
well, the apps only work with the internet from the service. eg: the facebook app. you can't even download it without the service and then have to use it with that service. wifi can be used only to surf the web. which i think your E71 can do as well.

well, the apps only work with the internet from the service. eg: the facebook app. you can't even download it without the service and then have to use it with that service. wifi can be used only to surf the web. which i think your E71 can do as well.
true

Why do you want a blackberry ,Android and iOS are far ahead

I guess then the only advantage is the push mail and if you have an official e-mail id. Why is there so much hype about the BB then?

true

Why do you want a blackberry ,Android and iOS are far ahead
I'm using Andriod and my wife is using iOS. The biggest problem with the iPhone 4 (or all iPhones) is that you can't do anything without connecting to iTunes, one of the worst suites I ever used. Android is better but then you cannot sync directly with Outlook. I had to transfer all my contacts to my GMail and then sync with my phone. In the process all the contact photos vanished.

I guess then the only advantage is the push mail and if you have an official e-mail id. Why is there so much hype about the BB then?

I'm using Andriod and my wife is using iOS. The biggest problem with the iPhone 4 (or all iPhones) is that you can't do anything without connecting to iTunes, one of the worst suites I ever used. Android is better but then you cannot sync directly with Outlook. I had to transfer all my contacts to my GMail and then sync with my phone. In the process all the contact photos vanished.
my brother gt iphone 4
i got samsung galaxy i9000 and i never get that problem with this fone
i dnt usually sync my contacts to be honest. if i need to transfer i use the inbuilt function called export . it makes a CSV file in the memory that you can open in any other phone/computer. I am running darky's custom rom on my galaxy and flashed many times

if i need to transfer i use the inbuilt function called export . it makes a CSV file in the memory that you can open in any other phone/computer.
I exported my Outlook files to CSV. Then imported this file to my Gmail contacts. All fields got copies except the photos. Then I synced with my Nexus S. Again I got the complete contacts with all field except the pictures.

I have a BB8520 and wanted to share my thoughts since I have been using this phone for over an year now.
I am on a limited blackberry internet service(BIS) plan, which has the following:
1) I can configure 10 email accounts for push messaging
2) Blackberry messenger
3) Yahoo/Google/MSN messengers

The service costs are 299 per month + Your regular post paid rentals and call charges.

The unlimited plans opens up everything which includes unlimited surfing, but then it costs 899 per month (way too expensive!)

The only thing different about this phone is, you all know it, the privilege to say this to someone "Please call me on my blackberry" :)

If you are not going to use a BIS plan on a BB then waste of money, there are thousands of better option available!.

The old Bold 9000 is available on eBay for Rs.8500/- or so. Some of the sets are new unlocked pieces from the US and some are refurbished ones. The specs of this phone are much better than the Curve 8520. Only -ve is the trackball instead of the trackpad. Seriously considering this one now. The Storm is even cheaper but does not have Wifi. I've heard that the storm was a failure whereas the 9000 was quite successful.

Top Bottom