Bitten By 4x4 Bug. Now I Want One

Thread Starter #79

bhvm

Honoured Member
I thought these were bulletproof reliable even though spares were expensive and FE was low.
What reliability issues are we specifically looking at?

P.s- None of Endy owners have replied my OLX message.

kkn13

Suspended
I thought these were bulletproof reliable even though spares were expensive and FE was low.
What reliability issues are we specifically looking at?

P.s- None of Endy owners have replied my OLX message.
No idea, someone in the car buying section was considering current Endeavour and was concerned about buying it given past experiences
Though current one is apparently leagues ahead and is far more reliable

Friends and relatives both own and run previous generation Endeavour and Fortuner and the ones driving a Fortuner are just not bothered about things like mantainance or service or things falling apart. But the ones having Endeavour are cribbing about something or the other not working well.
That gives jitters to imagine. Having a heavy duty SUV and always worrying about parts not working or going wrong.
This is where a Fortuner takes the lead. It will not give sleepless nights to the owner...to say the least.

Friends,

I am looking for a used 4x4, preferably in Pune, Mumbai and areas around and here are the options that I am looking at

1. Grand Vitara 2.4 MT (I know I am aiming for moon given the rarity of the vehicle, but I still I am hopeful. Anyone here having GV, please message me your number and I’ll convince you to sell it off, of course to me;-))
2. Gypsy 1.3 MPFI. No introduction needed.
3. Pajero Sport MT
4. Fortuner MT 4x4 (Post 2012 model)
5. Pajero SFX

Requirements are
1. I don’t intend to do serious off roading however I want to participate in Raid in couple of years.
2. Preferably 7 Seater with decent 2nd and 3rd row comfort. We are already 5 and half in our family and as my kid grows up, we need this space.
3. If I get my hands on either GV or Gypsy, I plan to buy another seven Seater touring vehicle for long distance tours, mostly a used Innova or a new Marrazzo.
4. The vehicle will be a daily drive

I’ll not list pros of these vehicles here, we all know those. I’ll list the negatives as per my assessment for each of the.

Grand Vitara 2.4 MT
1. Availability
2. Spares availability

Gypsy 1.3 MPFI
1. Bumpy ride
2. No comfort features at all

Pajero Sport MT
1. Lack of service history tracking (Based on one of the dealer in Mumbai, it is not trackable across service centres). Experts and fellow Pajero Sport owners, please enlighten me.
2. Ability to accommodate 3 adults in 2nd row and 2 in 3rd without being thrown all over the places when driven on broken roads.
3. Low end torque, however this should be manageable and can be resolved using some tuning boxes.

Fortuner
1. Bumpy ride quality. I had almost zeroed down on the Fortuner as my next Vehicle, but recently got a chance take a Selfdrive fortuner for three days to Mahabaleshwar and the middle row passengers were getting thrown places when driven on broken roads.
2. 3rd row seating
3. Body roll
Only one thing I am not really sure is, was this ride and handling an outcome of goofed up suspension setup for that particular vehicle or it is like that only.

Pajero SFX
1. It can comfortably sit only 4 people in 1st and 2nd rows due to seat layout. Found 3rd row to be least useful.
2. Service history traceability

Experts, please guide me on above points.
And let me know if you come across any of these vehicles being offered in used car market.

Thanks,

Yogi.

Friends,

I am looking for a used 4x4, preferably in Pune, Mumbai and areas around and here are the options that I am looking at

1. Grand Vitara 2.4 MT (I know I am aiming for moon given the rarity of the vehicle, but I still I am hopeful. Anyone here having GV, please message me your number and I’ll convince you to sell it off, of course to me;-))
2. Gypsy 1.3 MPFI. No introduction needed.
3. Pajero Sport MT
4. Fortuner MT 4x4 (Post 2012 model)
5. Pajero SFX

Requirements are
1. I don’t intend to do serious off roading however I want to participate in Raid in couple of years.
2. Preferably 7 Seater with decent 2nd and 3rd row comfort. We are already 5 and half in our family and as my kid grows up, we need this space.
3. If I get my hands on either GV or Gypsy, I plan to buy another seven Seater touring vehicle for long distance tours, mostly a used Innova or a new Marrazzo.
4. The vehicle will be a daily drive

I’ll not list pros of these vehicles here, we all know those. I’ll list the negatives as per my assessment for each of the.

Grand Vitara 2.4 MT
1. Availability
2. Spares availability

Gypsy 1.3 MPFI
1. Bumpy ride
2. No comfort features at all

Pajero Sport MT
1. Lack of service history tracking (Based on one of the dealer in Mumbai, it is not trackable across service centres). Experts and fellow Pajero Sport owners, please enlighten me.
2. Ability to accommodate 3 adults in 2nd row and 2 in 3rd without being thrown all over the places when driven on broken roads.
3. Low end torque, however this should be manageable and can be resolved using some tuning boxes.

Fortuner
1. Bumpy ride quality. I had almost zeroed down on the Fortuner as my next Vehicle, but recently got a chance take a Selfdrive fortuner for three days to Mahabaleshwar and the middle row passengers were getting thrown places when driven on broken roads.
2. 3rd row seating
3. Body roll
Only one thing I am not really sure is, was this ride and handling an outcome of goofed up suspension setup for that particular vehicle or it is like that only.

Pajero SFX
1. It can comfortably sit only 4 people in 1st and 2nd rows due to seat layout. Found 3rd row to be least useful.
2. Service history traceability

Experts, please guide me on above points.
And let me know if you come across any of these vehicles being offered in used car market.

Thanks,

Yogi.
@Yogiraj welcome to TAI, let's talk numbers, what is your budget allocated for the first car? This will give us a clearer picture of your shortlisted car's.
Regards
Vinod

@Nanofreak Thanks for the welcome!

Well for numbers, the vehicles that I have shortlisted are from various different categories so there is no single number as such, however, for each of them I have an upper limit based on market situation today (Obviously, negotiable on case to case basis to some extent).
1. GV 2.4 MT: 7 Lacs (I can actually post-pone a decision to buy another 7 seater by a year or so and use self drive options for long distance in near future)
2. Gypsy 1.3 MPFI: 4 Lacs.(Cannot move family in this, so need to buy another 7 seater fairly quickly)
3. Pajero Sport MT: 12 Lacs.
4. Fortuner MT 4x4: 16 Lacs
5. Pajero SFX: 9 Lacs. (Confused a bit here since this is a sellers market for Pajero, but given the seating capacity, I may still need to use either a self drive or buy another 7 seater)

I hope I am making sense.

Thanks,

Yogi.

Thread Starter #85

bhvm

Honoured Member
@Yogiraj
Thats an interesting requirement. it seems to be branching off depending on what you choose.
Some Cons & pros are listed on initial pages of this thread.
Pajero SFX and fortuner MT seems overpriced for what they are.

Also at those prices, used or even new options like Safari Storme 4x4 comes into play.
Pajero Sport might be an interesting option if you are considering long term ownership and combined family use.

Last edited:
To second bhvm, Safari Storm new or even Thar 4×4 is not a bad option, ie if your family is ok with doing some acrobatic to get in the rear.
All other second hand cars mentioned will be a hit or miss depending on your luck.

@Yogiraj
Thats an interesting requirement. it seems to be branching off depending on what you choose.
Some Cons & pros are listed on initial pages of this thread.
Pajero SFX and fortuner MT seems overpriced for what they are.

Also at those prices, used or even new options like Safari Storme 4x4 comes into play.
Pajero Sport might be an interesting option if you are considering long term ownership and combined family use.
@bhvm
Safari Storme puts me off due to the Jump seats at the back.
I am planning to test drive few used Pajero Sport in Pune. Any Pajero Sport owner willing to help me evaluate one?

To second bhvm, Safari Storm new or even Thar 4×4 is not a bad option, ie if your family is ok with doing some acrobatic to get in the rear.
All other second hand cars mentioned will be a hit or miss depending on your luck.
@Nanofreak
Thar will be a hard core off-roader and along with it I will need to buy another 7 seater to move my family. BTW, how would Thar fare against Gypsy considering Raid?
I agree on the risks in second hand market, that's why I am taking it slow. Not jumping on anything without verifying the vehicles.

On GV front, I have been able to locate one 2012 2.4 MT with 60k on the Odo (manipulated, most probably by dealer, I have seen the service record and it must have been around 140k). This is a Company owned vehicle. No accident repairs are carried out at least in ASS.
I have a few questions
1. Is it worth the hassle at 140k odo reading?
2. What should be fair price?
3. The service history shows all the periodic repairs carried out timely with only two major repairs, Clutch replacement at 80k and Front Suspension Arm and Ball joint replacement at 120k km. Do these repairs look out of place?
4. I see T/M oil being changed 4 times, 25k, 40k, 60k and 80k km intervals. And after 80k, there has been no T/M Oil change. Is this normal?
5. Last Service Recommendations are "POWER STEERING OIL LEAKAGE ,POWER STEERING NEED CHANGE". Any idea if this is complete assembly or only power steering pump?

Thanks,

Yogi.

Thread Starter #88

bhvm

Honoured Member
1. Safari can be modified using rear bench from Scorpio, if you are willing a little modification.

2. @A.G here used to have a P.S 4x4.

3. Thar CRDe esp with MLD will offer stiff competition to gypsy or even better it. Formula of better engine (gypsy has very agenig engine) along with very SWB and locking rear diff is a winning formula.

4. Too many red flags on that GV. As an product/Service as well as the specimen you have picked out. Very end of life.

Also, GV does not perform much better offroad, say in the league of xuv AWD or duster AWD.. Which is just entry level. Check anshuman bishnoi videos for comparison.

1. Safari can be modified using rear bench from Scorpio, if you are willing a little modification.

2. @A.G here used to have a P.S 4x4.

3. Thar CRDe esp with MLD will offer stiff competition to gypsy or even better it. Formula of better engine (gypsy has very agenig engine) along with very SWB and locking rear diff is a winning formula.

4. Too many red flags on that GV. As an product/Service as well as the specimen you have picked out. Very end of life.

Also, GV does not perform much better offroad, say in the league of xuv AWD or duster AWD.. Which is just entry level. Check anshuman bishnoi videos for comparison.
@bhvm , Thanks!
I may not have the patience to retrofit Scorpio's rear bench in Safari.
I have attached detailed service history for the same GV here, so that experts can comment on it.
Well, I may not do so much offloading, apart from what is needed for Raid.

Thanks,

Yogi.
Service History.jpg

Thread Starter #90

bhvm

Honoured Member
In that case, I would strongly urge you to look at the xuv 500 AWD.

It really ticks all the right boxes,.
Cheap to buy.
Very strong engine that puts a smile on your face.
Proper 7 seater with creature comforts & AC in all rows.
A 'recent' car with good spares & parts availability.

You can check out Gaurav gills super Xuv for rally/raid excitement.

Top Bottom