Bitten By 4x4 Bug. Now I Want One

Thread Starter #32

bhvm

Honoured Member
then makes more sense to get gurkha over endys leaf springs. other than creature comforts (auto AC, displays) capabilities should be mostly same.

but none make sense due to their crudeness & overpricing.

kkn13

Suspended
Mitsubishi- 170km or 350km
Vipul & IR, do you still suggest Pajero after this?
Let me also be clear that Our local village Mechs won't understand a Hair in Mistus, forget about buying spares and getting things actually fixed. I honestly this is a very big risk if I am to get even a Worth-in-gold-Pajero.
If you need a reliable car and that can off road too, still keeping you in absolute comfort - you have no other option that comes close to your budget. 170 kms is fine and you can actually find a local garage which cn service your car when needed. How reliable or durable is Pajero?

I have been to Ladakh in a 2009 Pajero with 1.7 lac kms on odo in 2012.The owner lives in Nainital and there is absolutely no availability of A.S.S. in even 250 kilometers range, still - it never goes wrong like a Toyota; and even if it does, then also it is worth the pain. At one place you are talking of travelling 500-700 kilometers for OTR recursions and on the other hand you are vary of travelling 170 kms! The owner of that Pajero now owns a 2015 Fortuner, still he has immense respect for his Pajero. The car was sold with around 1.8 lac on odo and the new owner, until known to the older one, was still happy.

Regarding Pajero forget authorized dealers(or for that matter even other used vehicles), service with someone who has been doing it independently, may be you might have to do this research in your neighborhood - in pune i know a few places. a new mitsu service centre is also coming in pune shortly.
Indeed, research is the key. Parts can be even procured from websites like spareshub etc. In my opinion, Pajero is worth the money and pain, if you want to have a true blue explorer.

IR knows what sort of impressions I have of Pajero, I personally didn't liked the one IR owns but the older 2.8 is a gem. It is worth preserving, if you can. PS can't do that type of off roading that a Pajero can - size do matter and a proper SUV needs to have a size that is manageable even in tighter spaces.

Pajero.-
https://www.olx.in/maharashtra/cars/q-pajero/

Budget almost doubles up, even for very older vehicles
Better vehicles are over 13L!
Sorry IR & TSI. I cannot afford that.
Then increase your budget, wait 1 more year, even more cars will be in market and if you can think 6 lac for a Storme, after one year, spend 8 on a 60-70-80k kms done, well maintained Pajero. Then spend 50k on the minor and preventive maintenance and you are good to go for next 5 years. You may buy a Storme or Thar or whatever for 1 lac or 2 lac cheaper now, but nothing comes close to this Mitsu when it comes to overall ownership experience. If you want to explore, then look no further - this is 'ONLY' car which can actually keep you satisfied in long run. Am I right IR and other Pajero experts?

Something worth a read IMO:
Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion - Team-BHP

Thread Starter #36

bhvm

Honoured Member
Guys, How does Duster AWD sound?
It lacks 4x4 low range. 1st gear is shorter to compensate. Not the real crawl ratio though.
The SWB and stubby stance gives it some Advantage over regular Heavyweight 4x4 SUVs?

https://www.olx.in/item/renault-duster-110-ps-rxz-awd-diesel-2013-diesel-ID1afaDw.html#8d0e0ddd5a

Found 10 year old Safari 4x4 at cheap price. If Negotiations are good and Mechanicals are strong, Not a bad option to learn on-
https://www.olx.in/item/tata-safari-diesel-101000-kms-2007-year-tata-safari-ex-4x4-ID1avQo1.html

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
Duster is also a good beast of a car
I owned a Logan and it was rock solid with the same engine and platform
Its still running smooth and is currently in Nagpur with our regular car broker's son who uses it to show real estate etc so it goes through rough road etc
Its clocked 2.7L km now and paint etc seems to be in good condition

Indeed, research is the key. Parts can be even procured from websites like spareshub etc. In my opinion, Pajero is worth the money and pain, if you want to have a true blue explorer.

IR knows what sort of impressions I have of Pajero, I personally didn't liked the one IR owns but the older 2.8 is a gem. It is worth preserving, if you can. PS can't do that type of off roading that a Pajero can - size do matter and a proper SUV needs to have a size that is manageable even in tighter spaces.
Dont fully agree, the 2.8 is phenomenal, but has its cons as well lacks top end grunt, larger displacement and the set up does give it low end advantage. But the 2.5 PS has 400NM torque and some crazy people(A.G [:D]) have put chips to increase that even further. Regarding PS offroading plenty of videos on my thread itself - need no more proof!
Older has LSD but practically for real offroading we all know how much lockers are needed - so thats a separate topic.

Guys, How does Duster AWD sound?
It lacks 4x4 low range. 1st gear is shorter to compensate. Not the real crawl ratio though.
No low gearing it wouldnt be in my list for real offroading, mickey mousing is fine. AWD works well in certain offroad situations so duster will handle those parts well.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #39

bhvm

Honoured Member
I've heard that Top speed of 2.8L pajero is only 120~125 KMPH and it takes ages to even get there. Real driving speeds would be only till 90 Max. It could a combination of shorter gearing and very weak top end.

Thread Starter #40

bhvm

Honoured Member
The 2007 safari owner does not know if this vehicle is 4x4 or 4x2.
Infact he does not know what is 4x4!.
Deemed canceled.

Thread Starter #42

bhvm

Honoured Member
He sent pics.
Owner is a non Enthusiast who could not understand any Mildly technical terms.

Thread Starter #43

bhvm

Honoured Member
He did send pics, He's a non Enthusiast so he does not understand what I am saying at all. So I skipped thinking of His Upkeep and TLC.

Also checked 2 other options this evening.
They turned out to be 4x2 even though they're said as 4x4 in OLX.

So friends,
If you know someone in SOUL/SUG/TSG please make a post on my behalf. Many thanks.

He did send pics, He's a non Enthusiast so he does not understand what I am saying at all. So I skipped thinking of His Upkeep and TLC.

Also checked 2 other options this evening.
They turned out to be 4x2 even though they're said as 4x4 in OLX.

So friends,
If you know someone in SOUL/SUG/TSG please make a post on my behalf. Many thanks.
Ok Boss.

Sirji you can PM TAIger Autospy, he owns Strome (i know it is a bit strech for you) and is selling it coz he is upgrading to Hexa. Will PM you his number for convenience.

Thread Starter #45

bhvm

Honoured Member
A thought crossed me last night (Yes these days I dream about my Tours & Off-roading only) That I should also look for Scorpio 4x4. Seems to have an Advantages too-

1. Shorter overhangs giving better Approach & Departure Angles.
2. Slightly lighter than Safari giving Better BHP/Ton Ratio. Is that correct?
3. Eaton MLD is available for rear axle, costs 35k.
4. Mhawk engine is said to be better than Safari's older Dicor 2.2.

Downsides-
1. Suspension. I may go for a Lift kit & upgrades so that can be fixed. Budget is key.
2. Lack of LSD, can be compensated by MLD
3. Lack of space and Seat comfort
4. Is Scorpio plagued by same niggles as XUV?

Top Bottom