Bitten By 4x4 Bug. Now I Want One

Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
Call it the side effect of watching too many St Adrew Perrie white videos on Youtube or just the whole idea to get lost into nature. I have a burning desire to reclaim my life[cry]

I want a 4x4 and I want to go places.

The ideas are not very clear. The rough thought is to get a used 4x4 Safari or Scorpio. Don't want a very expensive specimen as Its mostly for Learning and Trail Hunting. I don't like to scratch up expensive machines.

See. I have a long history of Owning SUVs. Infact I grew up mostly driving SUVs. But other than the Fortuner 3.0 MT (1st gen 4x4, Full time 4wd). I never really owned a decent 4x4. And I am not allowed to take fortuner on Trails (Family thingies). SO this time, Planning to buy something solely for ME. My will. My Command. No Interference.

Primary Requirements-
4x4, with working Low range.

Features required-
AC, Good music system, Highway comfort & Driveablity.
ABS & Airbag would be very welcome.
Shall be Mod friendly.
Should be having enough power for Overtaking On Highways.
Non accidental and well Maintained. Records appreciated
I would be averse to having too many Techno-Wizardry gadgets that could fail or Send errors on trips. Simple and functional interior/features appreciated.

Used or new- Used.

Fuel- Diesel

Budget-
1.5~3L for 3.0L Dicor safari
4~5L for 2.2L Dicor
5~6L for Storme 400.

Usage-
visiting Hill stations, Softroading OTRs, Trail hunting, Wildlife safari etc with Family.
No Serious Off roading like Mudding or Competition Rock climbing required.

Future mods-
Steel Bumper with proper recover points, Mount of High lift Jack
AT tyres
Slight Lift kit (if budget permits)
Pete's tuning box or RD diesetronics.
Off road Lamps & LED lightbars.

Leaning slightly towards the safari due to rear LSD. And also that I'm a safari fan. I am open to other options too.

Is this a right time to get one? Heart says yes. [evil]
Pour in, Folks!

Last edited:
Re: Bitten By 4x4 Bug. Now I Want One.

I would suggest you to get Strome 400, with aftermarket MLD.

Not suggesting Scropio coz of its suspension set-up.

P.S. Hexa AT models too come with LSD
IMG-20170310-WA0001.jpg

Call it the side effect of watching too many St Adrew Perrie white videos on Youtube or just the whole idea to get lost into nature. I have a burning desire to reclaim my life[cry]

I want a 4x4 and I want to go places.

The ideas are not very clear. The rough thought is to get a used 4x4 Safari or Scorpio. Don't want a very expensive specimen as Its mostly for Learning and Trail Hunting. I don't like to scratch up expensive machines.

See. I have a long history of Owning SUVs. Infact I grew up mostly driving SUVs. But other than the Fortuner 3.0 MT (1st gen 4x4, Full time 4wd). I never really owned a decent 4x4. And I am not allowed to take fortuner on Trails (Family thingies). SO this time, Planning to buy something solely for ME. My will. My Command. No Interference.

Primary Requirements-
4x4, with working Low range.

Features required-
AC, Good music system, Highway comfort & Driveablity.
ABS & Airbag would be very welcome.
Shall be Mod friendly.
Should be having enough power for Overtaking On Highways.
Non accidental and well Maintained. Records appreciated
I would be averse to having too many Techno-Wizardry gadgets that could fail or Send errors on trips. Simple and functional interior/features appreciated.

Used or new- Used.

Fuel- Diesel

Budget-
1.5~3L for 3.0L Dicor safari
4~5L for 2.2L Dicor
5~6L for Storme 400.

Usage-
visiting Hill stations, Softroading OTRs, Trail hunting, Wildlife safari etc with Family.
No Serious Off roading like Mudding or Competition Rock climbing required.

Future mods-
Steel Bumper with proper recover points, Mount of High lift Jack
AT tyres
Slight Lift kit (if budget permits)
Pete's tuning box or RD diesetronics.
Off road Lamps & LED lightbars.

Leaning slightly towards the safari due to rear LSD. And also that I'm a safari fan. I am open to other options too.

Is this a right time to get one? Heart says yes. [evil]
Pour in, Folks!
Hi, @bhvm, for a true off roader consider Thar, or any jeep only, if you live near Delhi, you can explore the mayapuri market, but do take a known mech/friend am sure you will salivate at the variety available.

Regards
Vinod

Hi, I would recommend you to go for a 2010 facelifted Thar 4*4. It has AC and is one of the best offroader in India. With Thar you dont need to restrict your OFF ROADING to softer ones. In fact you can take your family to places less visited, deep into the nature. Also it has less electronics to fail.

Let me resonate the words of @kkn13, Thar is the vehicle which you need to go for. A used Safari is like an unreliable vehicle to go into unknown territory - it will take you there but no guarantee of return back :biggrin:

Else, get a Gypsy [evil]

Else, extend a bit and buy the old but very reliable and faithful - Mitsubishi Pajero.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

bhvm

Honoured Member

I would suggest you to get Strome 400, with aftermarket MLD.

Not suggesting Scropio coz of its suspension set-up.

P.S. Hexa AT models too come with LSD
Thanks for the inputs GJ,
I do not have budgets for new Hexa or storme.
And I am avoiding scorpio for the very same reason. There's a Scorpio+MLD on One of the Youtube channels, The suspesion really hinders any off-roading.

The Idea is to Get a used Dicor 2.2 and keep some money spare for the mods. MLD idea is very good. Cost is also reasonable at ~35k. I may go for it if I can get a good bargain.

Hi, @bhvm, for a true off roader consider Thar,

Regards
Vinod
Hi, I would recommend you to go for a 2010 facelifted Thar 4*4. It has AC and is one of the best offroader in India.
Thar is the undoubted King of off roading
And its less complicated to modify etc
Very robust too
And the Jeep DNA helps too
Let me resonate the words of @kkn13, Thar is the vehicle which you need to go for. .
For all the people who are recommending Thar. With all due respect, Thar is a Capable Machines. Infact its the one that does best on those Anshuman Youtube videos. But we are ruling out thar due to a variety for reasons.
1. Thar is very crude machine.

2. We like to go to OTRs, but OTRs may be 800~900KM away[frustration].
Thar is not something that I am comfortable and confident doing 800Kms In one day. We usually do ONE DAY- 700KM in XUV. And Infact I have done ONE DAY 1000KM too. I haven't extensively driven thar but from what I infer, Highway Manners and High speed runs are not the Thar's Forte.

3. All Thars I've seen are soft top. Thats not good for my Allergies. So strict NO there. There is Fiber top available. Still NO.

4. Second row seating in Thar is not Proper.
Officially 3rd owner. No Modifications. Tata ASC installed Rear Camera and dual Headrest screens. Regn is MH01, Now in Pune.

Asking Price 5.3L.

Thread Starter #9

bhvm

Honoured Member

Buddy are you talking about the older pajero Which came with 2.8L 118 HP engine?
The very Famous White+Purple or White+Red Color scheme walla?

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended

2nd gen for sure he meant

Its an absolute legend, deadly reliable, tonnes of mods
Best of all, it behaves like a monocoque on the highway unlike most ladder on body frame SUVs

You can score one fairly cheap
Get a proper analysis though
If you are in Mumbai, there are tonnes of expert 4x4 garages who can help you out
Theres one near my house that modifies 4x4s in a very professional manner
I go for wheel alignment to the tyre place next to it and am often awed by the stuff I see there

PS- What about Grand Vitara? Ive seen tonnes of good posts about used GVs especially V6 1st gen and 2.4 2nd gen

2nd gen for sure he meant

Its an absolute legend, deadly reliable, tonnes of mods
Best of all, it behaves like a monocoque on the highway unlike most ladder on body frame SUVs

You can score one fairly cheap
Get a proper analysis though
If you are in Mumbai, there are tonnes of expert 4x4 garages who can help you out
Theres one near my house that modifies 4x4s in a very professional manner
I go for wheel alignment to the tyre place next to it and am often awed by the stuff I see there

PS- What about Grand Vitara? Ive seen tonnes of good posts about used GVs especially V6 1st gen and 2.4 2nd gen
Wow, this guy is speaking my heart out. Grand Vitara was the second car whose name I was typing, but olx didn't gave me a decent number of results when I checked for availability of Grand Vitara in Mumbai or Ahmedabad. In fact, there seems to be only one registered and that also not inspiring. Additionally, Grand Vitara spares can be an issue now.

Yups, I meant the second gen Pajero - anything between 2005-2013, the Pajero uncle can prove to be the most reliable, durable and near perfect balance of overlanding and off roading.

Thread Starter #14

bhvm

Honoured Member

After a research of few weeks, Here is a Runabout of the vehicles in Option-

1. Thar-
Not selected as reasons mentioned above

2. GV 4x4-
+ Highway Driveablity.
+ All time 4x4
+ Disc Brakes

- Not a proper 4x4. Just an Softroarder AWD. The capablities are not much better than XUV AWD. Infact due to poor torque, GV gets stuck where XUV AWD can often manage
- Bad FE
- Spares and relaiblity issues (Assuming vehicles will be quite old)

3. Gurkha 4x4-
+ Bullet proof, Simple
+ Only true competition to Thar

- Impossible to find used in decent condition
- Poor service network
- Curde, just like Thar
- 5 Door, LWB Version misses out on 4wd LOW range (Confusing specs)
- Poor brand image and resale
- Dad owns Older 2wd version (2.6L, non Turbo, non CRDI). Dont like it.

4. Facelifted scorpio-
+ Highway Manners and NVH
+ Great service network
+ Decent creature comforts
+ Decent FE and engine power

- Bouncy suspension, Limited articulation which means Limited 4x4 capability
- Mahindra Niggles
- Shoots Budget a Bit (S6 or S8)
- Less Interior space
- lacks LSD compared to Safari

5. Older scorpio- Not considered due to niggles & reliablity

6. Old fortuner MT- (2010)
+ Capable 4x4 machine
+ Proven reliablity
+ Resale Value

- Have one. Cannot use due to Family Restrictions. Not Buying again
- Costs a Bomb for Maintainance. Hell breaks loose if Something breaks or cracks. Not confidence inspiring for Risky maneuvers or learning
- Lacks LSD or Diff locks

7. Newer Gen (2015+) Fortuner 4x4- Not fitting in budget

8. Safari TCIC 1.9L- Not considered.

9. Safari 3.0L Dicor
+Absolute beast
+ Available cheaply
+ Had one in past. Loved it [evil]

- Finding decent & Well Maintained specimens is very difficult
- Very heavy vehicle
- Niggles may crop up in such older vehicles

10. Safari 2.2L Dicor

+ One of my Fav Vehicles. Esp pearl white [glasses]
+ Available at decent Prices with Maintenance records
+ Proper 4x4 with low range. Rear Diff is LSD.
+ Powerful engine with decent FE
+ Proven Highway Cruiser. Comfort is better than Fortuner or XUV!
+ Decent space.
+ Tail Mounted Spare wheel- Not only looks macho but is easy to remove if Vehicle is Bogged/failed on Soft surface like Sand. Under-mounted spares are almost impossible to remove.
+ Mod friendly

- Heavy Vehicle, May get bogged down in Loose surfaces
- Lengthy & Bulky design. Poor Approach, Departure and Ramp Break-over angles. Need to be solved with a Lift Kit
- Some tata Niggles may crop up. But Dicor 2.2 is a mature version with Less niggles than 1.9L or 3.0L and has less electronics
compared to Storme 400.
- Misses out on Projector lamps of storme.

11. Safari Stome 400
+ Improved NVH, handling & Driving manners compared to earlier
+ Looks Good too
+ Small Improvements like Projector lamps
+ Carries most +ves of Dicor 2.2

- Spare wheel is underside
- May Not fit in budget. Well Maintained Machines are roughly 8L in VX 4x4
- Glossy and Chromed surfaces may gather more scratches. (I liked Grey Cladding in Older safaris)
- Heavy as usual
- Increased electronics could cause niggles
- Dated interiors and less features compared to Competition like XUV 500.

12. Pajero 2.8L 118HP (2nd gen)
+ Praised by mr Vipul & KKn[evil] Ha ha.
+ Proven off roader. Off roading capablity is actually better than Fortuner. (Chikmanglur paj vs fortuner video)
+ Brand value

- Finding Accident free and Clean specimens is a task
- Most used vehicles are quite old.
With the Government often inclined to Ban, Spank and Trouble Older diesels, Very old vehicle does not have much life left
- Newer Specimens do not fit in budget.
- Niggles and thin service network. Definitely a No-go for us Villagers. Need to travel almost 170KM+170KM for service. Breakdowns will be hell.

Anything missing Friends?

Last edited:
i can understand your conundrum - here is my 2 tiny cents.

forget new vehicles, buy a used one preferably with decent service history
I would only include the following vehicles in ur list :-
  • MM550 NGCS with the 5 speed BA10 - or buy army disposed and build your own - Cheap old school, really old school - forget refinement and highway manners would be bad, everything will rattle, and will require upkeep!
  • Gypsy 1.3 or one with the baleno 1.6 engine transplanted - petrol, but otherwise immensely reliable. Cheap to aquire and nothing to go wrong really, cheap to maintain as well!
  • Used Old Gurkha with the tubular chassis - reliable underpinnings, mechanically good, but everything else will rattle and will need regular upkeep. Service what service ? Wont come cheap as owners do think this is a piece of gold!
  • Pajero SFX or GLX (BS3 not the last few BS4 versions) - a good pajero sfx worth its weight in gold! put in lockers go anywhere! Same as above wont come cheap as owners have too much ego and confidence!

All of the above is available in the used car in MH especially, there is a member A.G who is looking to sell his very well maintained pajero sfx - check with him if you are serious. will highly recommend his vehicle though you might need a slightly bigger budget for pajeros generally. Always look out for service history, Pajeros are generally very abused thanks to their abuse taking DNA. But importantly you need to know someone who can service around your region, spares are generally available if you know where to look!

One golden tip - Forget LSD, practically it makes no difference more so in Safaris, i would not recommend any Safari for the offroad purpose, not even the scorpio though with MLD it becomes decent but still!

Last edited:

Top Bottom