Bike Stops in Heavy Rains

You got your bike back from servicing, cleaning up the filters and oils as well, so seems would run great back.Keep enjoying your ride and let us know if you feel any problems again with your ride and in rains.

You can also try this step
- turn the petrol knob to "ON" position & then identify the drain screw (bottom most part of the carburetor)
- losen the screw & allow about a 100ml of petrol to flow (there should be a drain pipe also fit by the factory itself)
- turn the petrol knob to "OFF" position & then tighten the screw back.

This step will basically remove any water left in the carb & should fix the issue. All the best..

It seems I have missed some action here.

@Character 1: There could be several reasons for your motorcycle stalling during rains (we are not including the issues that could occur in ANY season, hence specifically focusing on what could go wrong during rains):

1. Water in fuel or fuel delivery system: Since you have cleaned your fuel tank (I hope it has been done properly), I can think of the following things:

a. Check the fuel flap. Does it shut properly? If there is a gap between its mouth and the rim of the fuel tank, water can still enter the fuel tank.

b. Check the fuel tap. Do you see any brownish/pinkish deposits on/around it? If yes, then its a sure sign of petrol leakage. If petrol can come out, water could also go in. Get it replaced.

c. Check the fuel line. This is the pipe running from the fuel tap to the carburettor. If you find any cracks or leakage, replace it.

d. Check the carburettor. As Anand has correctly said, start by draining the float bowl. It will generally be the lowermost screw that you will see on the carburettor but still, please post a picture of the carb from both sides and I will mark the screw that you have to unscrew. If all this sounds Greek to you, ask any roadside mechanic to drain the 'float' of the carb. Dont pay him more than 10 Rs for this. Second point: do you see small pipe connected to the carburettor and hanging loosely at the other end (see picture)? If that 'other end' is hanging too close to the road, then it would get clogged due to slush and grime and would choke the carb due to which the engine would sputter and die. Clean it, route it properly, and refit.

e. Check the air filter: 5 minute job. If you find any moisture there, replace it immediately. Also check the air intake and the hose that connects the air filter to the carburettor. If you see and cracks, replace it. Check the circlip that connects the hose to the carburettor. If its loose, tighten it.

2. Moisture in the electrical system: Understand how your Twister's ignition system works. The push button starter generates current from the battery which goes to the ignition coil where it gets multiplied several times. This current is sent to the spark plug that generates a spark to ignite the air-fuel mixture supplied to the combustion chamber by the carburettor. If there is something short in this electrical system (maybe due to moisture), the supply of current would terminate and the motorcycle would stall. I can go on and on on this but to keep it simple, please do the following:

i. Blow air into the ignition key slot and on handlebar switches. Open the switches and see if there is any moisture inside. Replace them in case there is moisture.

ii. Check the ignition coil, especially at the connector and look for any moisture. Wipe it with a clean, dry cloth and reconnect everything tightly.

iii. Check all wires, fasteners, and connectors. Insulate properly what you find exposed and secure all connectors properly and tightly. No problem in using insulating tape on the connectors.

iv. Replace the spark plug just for the heck of it and see if it makes a difference. Costs less than Rs. 100 and would not go waste as it can be used later.

v. Check the spark plug cap for any corrosion/cracks/moisture. Replace it if you find anything wrong.

Hopefully the above would solve your problem. Anyways, cheer up- July is over![;)]

Attachments

Hi Sam,

You all are expert in this and I am really obliged to be a part of this group[:)].
Well my bike stalls quite often which happens only during rains. I prefer using kick & the bike starts quickly but then after riding it for few meters it stops again; also I have to accelerate a lot to keep engine running which leads to fuel wastage. Another highlighting part is, in third or fourth gear bike do not catch acceleration and thus it stops. (I have already asked service center guy to fix the clutch plate. is there any way to check whether my clutch plate was the real problem?) Further, this is happening after the bike is serviced twice in a week; still they are charging me for clutch plate.
I guess , you bike idling guage has not been set proper. I believe Twister is equipped with carburetor and there is screw in carbuerator which has to be adjusted in order to provide correct amount of fuel.
As you have mentioned that in 3rd to 4th gear it does not accelerate properly so it's a sign of worn out clutch.

It can be damaged even in 4000 KM thats what my service supervisor told at Hero Motor Corp as I questioned how come my bike (Karizma ZMR) clutch has been worn out at 18000 KM while previous Pulsar lasted on the stock clutch till 40K before I sold it off.

Thread Starter #20
Thanks Sam. As suggested the problem was in carburetor. Today when I left for interview, I tried checking for the lowermost screw on carburetor but could not understand much of it. But was quite confident of a smooth ride as I just got my bike serviced yesterday. To my surprise, it started raining and after a Km or so bike stalled again. I could not use 3rd & 4th gear again. Searched a road side mechanic & asked him to clean the carburetor and check the electrical s. He just charged Rs 60 and the bike is running good. But by the time it was repaired rains stopped. I want to still take a test ride when its raining. I don't know why it happens only in rains; will have to try other solutions suggested by Sam & ERTIGA_ZMR. But otherwise its really a good bike to ride if its ""not raining"".

Just check if the CDI coil gets wet when it is raining. It was the most worst problem that old Pulsars could give and my friends would be calling to pick the bike for them. Also check for the carb since water could travel even through the accelerator cables. So there are chances for it to be the issue. If the plug adapter is damaged or looks some kind of insecure also try changing it.

Man the clutch plate is a loot. A clutch plate set would cost you less than 200 and the clutch hub will cost you around some 1200 I think. You can't have the clutch hubs worn out this soon and also what does starting problems have to do with clutches? Do you feel slippery with kick starts at morning or any other time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #22
just check if the CDI coil gets wet when it is raining.it was the most wordst problem that old pulsars could give and my friends would be calling to pick the bike for them.also check for the carbs since water could travel even through the accelerator cables.so there are chances for it to be the issue.if the plug adapter is damaged or looks some kind of insecure also try changing it.

man the clutch plate is a loot.a a clutch plate set would cost you less than 200 and the clutch hub will cost you around some 1200 i think.you can't have the clutch hubs worn out this soon and also what does starting problems have to do with clutches.do you feel slippery with kick starts at morning or any other time?
Thanks for taking time & looking into this[:)]
Bike starts in a kick any time, even after stalling in rains. So start doesn't seem to be a problem. Even I felt Clutch Plate thing was [confused][confused]. But I got the carburetor and electrical s cleaned; mec also removed the rubber from spark plug. (hope I am using the right terms). So far so good; need to test it in rains.

so if the bike is stalling then the problem is with power supply part.

The defect would be that the current would unexpectedly stop and the bike would stall.after you kick start,the current would resume and make your bike run.

I really advice you to check the coils in the magnet.that must be culprit from my guess.Guru correct me if I am wrong.

hey we have the same problem. already find the solution? can you share it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have the cb twister and I have been using it for last 8 years and it still runs very smooth. But recently after service it has also stoped working in the rain. Before that it never gave me any problem. I wonder whether the problem was with the service done to it. And I have tried many experts but find no solution to it.

I also have the cb twister and I have been using it for last 8 years and it still runs very smooth. But recently after service it has also stoped working in the rain. Before that it never gave me any problem. I wonder whether the problem was with the service done to it. And I have tried many experts but find no solution to it.
  1. In my old KB 4S, when the Spark Plug was NOT properly tightened (after Service), similar problem happened. Check THAT.
  2. One friend reported that "the Cable to Spark Plug was faulty, rain water caused shorting (meaning Spark Plug did not get Electrical Power --- it did not create Spark to burn Fuel mix --- bike stopped).
  3. Only AFTER ensuring "the Spark Plug Route" investigate furthur, if problem persists.

Top Bottom