Best Way to Transport Car Across India

well driving yourself is a great option but you can also look for car-cargo.
eg. When Maruti delivers some cars from manesar unit to some other place in India there trailers come empty and you can use them to transport your car. We got our car through that only (HONDA trailer) and I might add that it was in mint condition except for the dust.
Good idea Safire but I think they have already made up their mind by driving it. Moreover, they would be transfering it from Haridwar to Chennai. So Ford cars, from Chennai to Haridwar containers can be used as they would be dropping and leaving back to their base.

What say [:)]

Thread Starter #17
Good idea Safire but I think they have already made up their mind by driving it. Moreover, they would be transfering it from Haridwar to Chennai. So Ford cars, from Chennai to Haridwar containers can be used as they would be dropping and leaving back to their base.

What say [:)]
The decision to drive is not 'finalized' yet but this option is certainly on the table. At this point we are exploring all options and see what would work best. Thanks.

well driving yourself is a great option but you can also look for car-cargo.
eg. When Maruti delivers some cars from manesar unit to some other place in India there trailers come empty and you can use them to transport your car. We got our car through that only (HONDA trailer) and I might add that it was in mint condition except for the dust.
That's is a great idea too. I will have him check with a couple of dealers on the empty trailers thing. Hopefully he can work something out.

350Z

Core Team
If you are considering making up the mind on driving all around from Haridwar to Chennai, it is not a bad idea at all but definitely demands for a lot of time, patience and preparations. Especially with a car like Volkswagen Vento, it should be a fun drive and to build up more of your confidence I would like to share that our family friend safely drove from Delhi to Chennai in a Maruti Omni along with his friend. But yeah that was many years ago, also he’s not with us anymore.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #19
Yeah, my friend is a more conservative type while iam the adventurous one!
I was the one who brought up the 'self drive' option and honestly he is not sold on that option yet. Maybe, I need to do a better job of convincing him!!
I cannot agree with you more. Preparations are a must for this length of a journey and planning is very essential to decide which city to stay overnight, hotels, etc and of course - have lots of music on the way.
I have also suggested to him to write a travelogue with plenty of pictures. This would not only serve as a way to remember the trip but also provide guidance to folks who would like to undertake this adventure in the future.

Thread Starter #24
Just an update. In the process of exploring other transport options, we made a few calls to various transport agencies. We got quotes from
Rs 11, 500 to Rs 24,000 (for one way transport of car to Chennai). Everyone promised that they will transport the car in a proper carrier but they would not give anything in writing. There is no way to 'track' the carrier during the transport process. In other words, I would have to believe the company if they say the carrier has picked my car up. Wonder whether any transport company in India have heard of GPS tracking!! One would have thought that the transport industry would have welcomed GPS in a big way but I guess change is not that easy.
Researching the internet gave information about how bad these movers could be (including the so called reliable Agarwal Packers). Lots of dents, scratches, folks eating food and drinking inside the car, lots of mud on the seats and carpets, and with one car the car was even driven for 200 kms!!
I suggested to a few of them that I would like to lock the car up after it has been loaded into the car carrier. But almost with unison every car transport company I spoke with said that was not possible. I wonder why?
Maybe they intend to take my car out a couple of times to change carriers.
Most car carriers want 100% money in advance - That way they can easily shirk responsibility in case there are any damages to the car.
Looks like the bigger the car, the more the problems in transporting it.
Another thing I learnt was - the same car carriers who transport new cars have completely different standards when transporting other not so new cars. With new cars, they take utmost care since it is in their interest to get long term business from these car makers. But with private cars - they know they can get away with murder.
All said and done - It does look like the 'drive to Chennai' option is becoming more feasible now. We still have time for the trip so we will keep on looking at and eliminating other possibilities.

Last edited:
All i can say is.
Its worth spending that money for fuel and drive the vehicle & explore places on the way.
GQ is always fun to drive.
I bet you can reach Chennai with not more than 15000 INR for fuel.
Ofcourse toll extra.

All i can say is.
Its worth spending that money for fuel and drive the vehicle & explore places on the way.
GQ is always fun to drive.
I bet you can reach Chennai with not more than 15000 INR for fuel.
Ofcourse toll extra.
+1 To that Mukesh.

icecool2010, It will be a life experience which you can pass down to the next generation. Well not like in the old days maybe, There is no longer the element of the adventure part like back in the days. The Golden Quadrilateral is sure fun to drive still and if I were you I'd do a little research on the route, Carry some necessaries and take off.

Go and drive down South [thumbsup]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #29
Yes, I for one is already sold on this option.
I did look up the GQ route map and have a few questions:
1)Looks like the Delhi to Chennai GQ route is not yet completed. Do I have to necessarily take the Delhi Mumbai GQ route and then drive from Mumbai to Chennai?
2) If I am driving from Haridwar or Dehradun - Do I have to go to Delhi to take the GQ road OR can I join the GQ road before Delhi?
3) Can I exit the GQ close to MP instead of driving all the way down to Mumbai. This way I can take the GQ to the last point possible before taking the highway to Chennai.
4) All GPS maps show the highways as NH 7 or NH3 and NH18. Are these the same as GQ or GQ is called by a different name?

Top Bottom