Best Way to Transport Car Across India

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My friend wants to move his car from Haridwar to Chennai. I am posting this on his behalf.
What is the best way to transport his car? He did some research and shortlised a couple of transport agences like Agarwal Packers but later he read a few negative reviews about this and is now confused.
Apparently the movers are notorious for the car being moved with lots of dents and scratches and filled with dust!
One option is to hire a couple of drivers and drive the car personally to Chennai. This way he could also experience the 'real' India - traveling by road.
He refuses to believe that there are no well known car movers in India.
If anyone has a favourable personal experience about any car mover or any suggestions -Please post here. Thanks!

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Hi Guys,My friend wants to move his car from Haridwar to Chennai. I am posting this on his behalf.What is the best way to transport his car? He did some research and shortlised a couple of transport agences like Agarwal Packers but later he read a few negative reviews about this and is now confused.Apparently the movers are notorious for the car being moved with lots of dents and scratches and filled with dust!
One of my relatives had transferred his bike from Delhi to Bangalore through Indian Railways and the experience was too bad. Some dents here and there, and a couple of oil leakages. Though, with your friend it is about car so he needs to be cautious at best level from his end, no matters whichever company you hire for this job. In my opinion, Movers and Packers is a reputed name and they are very professional in their job, ask him to give them a thought. Here’s the link.

One option is to hire a couple of drivers and drive the car personally to Chennai. This way he could also experience the 'real' India - traveling by road.
He refuses to believe that there are no well known car movers in India.
If anyone has a favourable personal experience about any car mover or any suggestions -Please post here. Thanks!
This idea sounds quite adventurous. The fun will add up if he drives along with some friends or family members, rather than hiring drivers from outside. But remember, this is not going to be as easy as it sounds but then, not too difficult either. Just make sure, you are ‘fully prepared’. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3
One of my relatives had transferred his bike from Delhi to Bangalore through Indian Railways and the experience was too bad. Some dents here and there, and a couple of oil leakages. Though, with your friend it is about car so he needs to be cautious at best level from his end, no matters whichever company you hire for this job. In my opinion, Movers and Packers is a reputed name and they are very professional in their job, ask him to give them a thought. Here’s the link.

This idea sounds quite adventurous. The fun will add up if he drives along with some friends or family members, rather than hiring drivers from outside. But remember, this is not going to be as easy as it sounds but then, not too difficult either. Just make sure, you are ‘fully prepared’. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thanks. I will forward him the link. I also did suggest to him the
'driving to Chennai' optiion. That way, he has full control over
his car and can better handle it. I also suggested to him the following:

1)Buy a good GPS system - it will not only help him with directions but also with locatiions of restaurants, hotels on the way.
2) Become a member of a good 24x7 car assistance club. There are a few like my TVS 24x7, etc. This way he can assured of prompt service anywhere in India in case of any mechanical breakdowns.
3) Start early and typically drive from 8.00 am to 7.00 pm. Never drive after dark.

1)Buy a good GPS system - it will not only help him with directions but also with locatiions of restaurants, hotels on the way.
2) Become a member of a good 24x7 car assistance club. There are a few like my TVS 24x7, etc. This way he can assured of prompt service anywhere in India in case of any mechanical breakdowns.
3) Start early and typically drive from 8.00 am to 7.00 pm. Never drive after dark.
Excellent suggestion icecool, I mean, this way your friend will be fully aware about his location. But understand that he needs another driver at any cost. To avoid any unforseen issues. Two or three would be ok in a car for such a long journey but it should not be jam packed. Moreover, your friend should know how to change a tube or repair puncher and minor repairs related to engine.

Does he has any experience of long drives (6-8hours) ? If no, then there would be some issue. Chennai is roughly 2000+ kms from Delhi and probabaly 100 or 150+ from Haridwar. Plan your route and.....and..... and happy journey [cheers].

Always remember "Life nahin hai ladoo[lol]" so be prepared. It was a programme long back aired but i still remembered the name.

Which car we are discussing about here

350Z

Core Team
Must say, Some perfect suggestions. GPS proves to be very useful anyday, and for the 24x4 Car assistance club, Race is a nice option too. Also, check this thread for more additional tips.

Always remember "Life nahin hai ladoo" so be prepared. It was a programme long back aired but i still remembered the name.
Ha! I remember this title. Brought back the nostalgia, though don’t remember what it was all about.

Which car we are discussing about here
Yes. I would also like to know this.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #6
Thanks and sorry for not mentioning the car. It's a Volkswagen Vento Diesel.
He has had experience of long drives - but not this long obviously! If he intends going this route - I think 3 drivers could do fine so everyone gets to drive about 3-4 hours a day which would be ideal.
Who knows - if he goes on a long weekend - I might join him too - one way of course! That would be one heck of an experience!!
Will post updates and thanks again!

i always wanted to drive such long distance and enjoy beauty of our India . max. i have driven 1000KM approx. last time on my safari non stop .

yes atleast 2driver should be there .

Best way is to drive self.
As the car might get damaged at the transit.
2,200 kms is easily drivable.
All along the GQ it would be a fun to drive.
Not only driving one can explore many places too, all along the travel.

Thread Starter #10
Hmmm. The excitement is building in me too!!! I think late Feb/early March would be ideal weatherwise but ofcourse the timetable would be set by him.
BTW - We bought Ventos a month apart - So his Vento has done about 800 kms till date. Is it Ok to drive a new car this long a distance?

Yeah vehicles are meant to be driven.
No problem you can commute this distance.
Only thing 1st 1000 kms, you should drive not above 100 kmph.
Instead of regretting later to fix up the damages later during transport.

Yes being car lovers i would also suggest to drive all along the way with atleast 3 good drivers! Roads along the GQ are excellent from Delhi to Chennai!

Being a Vento it should not be very tiring and being a VW i have heard good reviews about their 24x7 services , no worries.

Rock n Roll man. I am sure you guys going to enjoy, now the point is are you too serious to reach Chennai asap or would like to spend time. Keep couple of days in hand to enjoy the beauty of India. Because seldom such an opportunity would come, unless you people are "REAL CRAZY ABOUT DRIVING".

well driving yourself is a great option but you can also look for car-cargo.
eg. When Maruti delivers some cars from manesar unit to some other place in India there trailers come empty and you can use them to transport your car. We got our car through that only (HONDA trailer) and I might add that it was in mint condition except for the dust.

Hey ice cool!
driving will be best option
thrill , enjoyment etc etc

Agarwal packers are known to transport the cars , no idea about the dents etc

And man , its VENTO with DIESEL heart .

Hope 2 driver is enough , one to chat , take rest once they tired!

Do you need me to drive them! i'll put hold to all my work here and i am in!!

Top Bottom