Best Way To Maintain the Car Colour?

Thread Starter #31
Something to know!

So many products by so many names are available in market, so that the correct choice may be confusing.
Below are some broad categories of products.

CLEANER: A cleaning agent may be either friction or chemical. A friction cleaner is usually either a silicate or clay particulate. The friction or abrasive type cleaner will clip the tops of mountains off and help fill in the valleys.
A chemical cleaner will usually strip equal amounts of hill and dale and thus not help smooth the paint. A cleaner should also remove old wax and other contaminants in the paint.

GLAZE: A glaze usually denotes a superfine friction type of cleaning agent, usually with essential emollients and lubricating oils and may even contain some mild chemical cleaners. Glazes will usually remove mild swirl marks, scratches, refresh the paint with oils and smooth out the finish.

POLISH: A polish is normally a non-abrasive product based on a nutrient oil matrix and may or may not have a chemical cleaner as part of the package. Most polishes use fillers to help cover swirl marks.

COMPOUND: A compound is the "coarse sandpaper" of the paint-cleaning world. This should be used only if the paint is in serious trouble and all else has failed. If you are one step away from 1-800-NEW-PAINT, then you may consider a compound.

CLAY: Literally a plasticene/abrasive mixture used to smooth new paint and remove over spray. This type of product must be used with lots of lubricant.

CLEANER/WAX: A combination, one-step chemical cleaner and a wax. Its bit confusing, as they are required to perform two very diverse functions simultaneously. A cleaner should remove old wax, so how does it simultaneously apply a coat of new wax?

WAX: There are two broad categories of wax, organic and polymer based. The organic waxes may be derived from plants such as Carnauba, or varmints. The polymer-based waxes are usually collected from specially trained robotic bees that gather the polymer nectar from plastic flowers (or it may be made in chemical factories).

DEGREASERS/TAR/BUG REMOVERS: These types of products are normally solvents designed to dissolve surface contaminants such as road tar or bugs. There are two broad classifications of solvents, petroleum distillates and citrus based. The quality citrus products tend to be gentler on the paint. Any degreaser/tar/bug remover will remove wax.

Which one to use?
If your paint has swirl marks, acid rain marks or faint scratches, then you may wish to use a glaze. The definition of a faint scratch is one that you can see but not feel. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, then it is beyond the scope of this article and should be treated as a paint chip. Rule #1: Use the least aggressive product/technique to get the job done! It is very easy to repeat an application of a mild product to achieve a result, but is very expensive to replace paint when you have gotten too aggressive. If your paint does not have swirl marks/scratches, but has lost some of it's luster, then you may consider using a polish.

Source & More Details

I use a shampoo that people use to wash the hair, I believe that if it does not harm your skin or hair,then it would be safe on your car as well. Then I use kerosene to remove the tar spots around the wheel arches on the fender and the lower portion of the doors. I have never wax polished or got a teflon job done. The car still looks as good as new. I do however use a tyre shiner,a dashboard shiner,glass cleaner and also use upholstery cleaner. The last three are from Maruti itself and are quite good and cost effective.

I have a can of waxpol at home,but I never get enough time to do it. And I prefer to do it myself,cause I think that no one can care for your car like you do. Most of the guys who do waxing and other car care jobs in and around my place are just lookin for money and do not intend to do a good job. I myself wash my car and the only time I give it at the car wash is to remove the dirt from the underbody. Anyways have to give my car a nice coat of wax. But its a tough job like in the Karate kid movie[:D]

Well, now a polishing has become inevitable.
Some idiot managed to brush against my rear fender yesterday when I was parked, and there is some black/blue paint residue.
Thankfully, no denting, and I think a decent polish job should get back the original look!!

I too polish mine , myself.

Its only us , who can take the best care of our cars.

Dont polish in one single go. Very 1st time i did that and my right hand ached for about 2 days.

Now a days i split up the polishing. Sunday morning i start and end up in evening. Polish and take a plenty of rest. Polish it part by part. (i clean the vehicle , Saturday evening)
-----------Next Post-----------
Well, now a polishing has become inevitable.
Some idiot managed to brush against my rear fender yesterday when I was parked, and there is some black/blue paint residue.
Thankfully, no denting, and I think a decent polish job should get back the original look!!

Use some 2K rubbing compound , then polish it.

A small tip , be gentle when rubbing them. Rub over them again and again continuously. At start it seems the mark wont go , but slowly it will . Use minimum rubbing compound as possible.

Last edited:
ilango[speed thirst];23396 said:
Use some 2K rubbing compound , then polish it.

A small tip , be gentle when rubbing them. Rub over them again and again continuously. At start it seems the mark wont go , but slowly it will . Use minimum rubbing compound as possible.
Thanks man, will do.
Will keep you updated on the result!!

Thread Starter #41
Is this available at all M.A.S.S.? And are you sure about the cost?
It should be available. Normally 3M is partnered with various A.S.S and they provide service their itself.
Cost normally should be approx 2K.

@RSM: 3M Detailing service involves teflon coating and other polishing work for exterior and interior.
Teflon is DuPoint trademark.
3M detailing involves -
3M Paint Protection Treatments

UV Protection
UV Protection against fading prevents paint fade on the car exterior due to exposure to UV rays. It doesn't just protect your car from this natural oxidation but also gives a durable, ultra-high gloss. Recommended for all new cars.

Exterior Beautification
Exterior Beautification is suitable for any age and condition of car. The treatment thoroughly cleans and shines the car surface to create a rich, 'just like new' look and covers painted surfaces, engine compartment, tyres, glasses, bumpers and rubber/plastic parts.

Minor Scratch/Swirl Removal & Surface Enhancement
Minor Scratch/Swirl removal and Surface Enhancement removes light/medium scratches, oxidation, stains and paint imperfections resulting in a brilliant, durable, 'wet look' finish. Restores natural sheen to painted surfaces, engine compartment, tyres, glass and rubber/vinyl parts.

ilango[speed thirst];23312 said:
Yes , for both metallic and non metallic the maintance is same.
Give me a month time , i can help in exact method of safe guarding the paint
Ilango, one month is over long back.[:)]

Top Bottom