Best Spacious Petrol Hatchback

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I am Deepak from Vijaynagar Bangalore. I was browsing around to find some information regarding some Hatch Backs which landed me here in TAI. The site is very informative, hence instantly wanted to be a part of it!

I currently own a Honda Unicorn. Well, I call it "My Babe". She is almost 5 years old now. Really proud of the ownership. Never faced any major issues with her. Of course once had an incident, but it was my fault. The front wheel rim has a bend now and thanks to the monoshocks, she is unstable at times when exposed to cross winds. Other than that, just a regular oil change and service. Happy!

Now I am looking out for a Hatch Back which is around 5L range. Did a lot of Brain Storming to decide between Petrol or a Diesel car. I will not be running it around much as I go to office by company vehicle. Just the weekend drive around the city. So, it would be generally below 1000 kms (or even 500 kms) a month. So decided that it will be a Petrol Hatch Back.

Which Car?
Fell in love with the Honda Jazz instantly. I am 6'2'' and on a heavier side, so leg space is a major necessity for me. However, Jazz's cost and wait period (not sure if the production has restarted) made me opt it out of the list [with a heavy heart]. Even Brio is good. Leg Space was decent. I was a bit concerned about rear seat head space and the suspension. But, again the wait period. Inquired at the showroom near Electronic City and according to them there is a wait period of at least 3 months. Also the Sales Rep, gave kinda on the face reply that there will be no freebies and he showed no signs of changing his mind. Said no thanks and walked out.

The Altos, Beats, Polos were never in my list. (Legspace again)

Right now stuck between Ritz (VXI ABS) and Figo Diesel (Base version)

Figo the Cons for me are: No ABS, my priority is to safety but I cannot afford the high end titanium. Also, I will not be running the car on regular basis. Not sure if I can keep a Diesel car idle for long! Did not think about the Petrol version as the mileage and power are quite low from what I have known (also the ground clearence).

Ritz: Will have great A.S.S. for sure. Looking for VXI ABS version. It covers most of the "would like to have" features. I have no problem with the rear design. Leg room is adequate in front seat (Back seat space is reasonable, but the middle section leg space is heightened and it is a bit on the uncomfortable side. But can live with it as I will be in driver's seat all the time ;) ).

Presently I am learning driving (yeah, have seen so many vehicles, but still in the learning curve) at Maruti Driving School - Kalyani Motors, Mysore Road. Going for weekend classes. They have some 10 hrs of theory classes, 5.5 hrs on simulator and 10 hrs of driving (wagon - r). So far, going good with theory classes and simulator. I have applied for LL. The people there, I found really very responsive. They give a call and confirm the time and classes. Keep asking once in a while if I need some tea/coffee (well not sure if it is worth mentioning but I found it as a good gesture). Theory classes include vehicle inspection (checking oil level, coolant level, tyre condition, etc). It was quite informative for a newbie like me. Friends pulled my legs saying, give me the money I will teach it. but anyways I thought it was good, so went for it. So far no regrets.

Thanks for your time to read such a big write out. Looking for great time ahead being a part of this forum. [:)]

suggestions on my Ritz/Figo confusion are welcome.

Re: Newbie from Bangalore - Deepak

well buddy if you can wait then honda jazz is definately worth it!

@ mods wrong section please do needful!

Hey Deepak welcome to TAI , hope you get your valid DL soon.

And regarding your car buying query please start a new thread in the respective section , our members will help you out.

Welcome to TAI deepshagri. All the best on your car decision. Please start a new thread with respect to the same so that other experts on this forum could guide you throughout your purchase. Have a pleasant stay at TAI !

Hello DeepshaGiri welcome from your neighboring area, i stay in Basaveshwaranagar,
As you have shortlisted RITZ and FIGO,it's better to go with Ritz because the service centers are easily reachable the VXI ABS is VFM than Figo Titanium
And all the best for your DL test.

If space is a major concern do look at the new Indica Vista , it is tremendous VFM!

But within your shortlisting , since your running is not too high i would suggest you to drop Figo diesel and go ahead with Ritz VXi.

Hey Deepak,

Welcome to TAI !!
I would suggest, keep researching and if you could extend your budget a little bit(may be you can wait for that if buying a car is not very urgent for you and save money), doors will open for you and you will have a choice which could make you go mad.

If space is a major concern do look at the new Indica Vista , it is tremendous VFM!
+1 to that. I have always seen Indica(base/Vista) as a great value for money car, you can seriously consider this option as well. Tremendous space inside, excellent comfort and much refined interiors.

I personally do not like any out of Figo\Ritz, so won't comment on them.

Please keep us updated on your choice and the final decision. I am sure fellow members would be able to help you find a good deal for it. [cheers]

Thread Starter #9
Thanks cooldhaya, Sam. Thanks 350Z for moving the thread.

well buddy if you can wait then honda jazz is definately worth it!
Honda cars were my first preferences as I own a Honda bike. Truly reliable company.

Budget was a constraint. But if Jazz was ready for delivery, I would have ended up buying it for sure! :biggrin: Also, from what I know there is almost a year's waiting period.

Hello DeepshaGiri welcome from your neighboring area, i stay in Basaveshwaranagar,
As you have shortlisted RITZ and FIGO,it's better to go with Ritz because the service centers are easily reachable the VXI ABS is VFM than Figo Titanium
And all the best for your DL test.
Thanks Vishwas. DL test would be at Ullal (near Mysore Road). Heard they have a quite a difficult track set for DL test with some sensors at the sides. Hit a couple of them, and the DL test's gone. Fingers crossed. But still some manage to clear it with ease with their trainer sitting in co-passenger seat doing all the controls.

Indica is a nice car for sure. But has that tag of Cab Car. :( However, as you said, it is surely the spacious of all! Even the back seats are very comfortable.

Welcome to TAI !!
I would suggest, keep researching and if you could extend your budget a little bit(may be you can wait for that if buying a car is not very urgent for you and save money), doors will open for you and you will have a choice which could make you go mad.

I personally do not like any out of Figo\Ritz, so won't comment on them.

Please keep us updated on your choice and the final decision. I am sure fellow members would be able to help you find a good deal for it.
Thanks XaerO. I am one of those "Kitna Deti Hai" stereotypes. We never change. [:D]

On a serious note, I have joined driving school already. I don't want to be one of those who own a DL but don't know driving.

Will surely keep you all posted on my final decision. Right now trying to get a good Loan deal done. No one's ready to go below 11.5%. SBI is up there at 12%. Planning to get it finished, clear all the loan formalities with one of the bank and then start negotiating with dealers for discount/freebies.

I heard "Ritz" somewhere in thread titled "Spacious car" , hope you did not mean space outside the Ritz.
it is the most cramped hatchback design I have ever come across .

But if your requirement is changed from spacious to "best ASS/resale" then everything fits in perfectly.

@deepshagri

welcome on-board! I can definitely understand your requirements from what you have mentioned above. I can conclude that you have short-listed the right car(s) as per your requirement. I will strongly recommend to go ahead with Ritz VXi ABS if you can digest how its back looks like. I have absolutely nothing personal against the car except for the fact that it has a straight cut back, almost vertical. I am sure you will not regret owning it since it is a maruti!

@deepshagri

I will back to other fellow members who are suggesting Jazz/Figo/Vista/Indica if rear legroom is the most important criteria for choosing the car.

But one question to you that why the rear seating space is important to you? How many members you are in your family? Is the rear space is just for kids or occasional occupants or its your parents?

If its for your parents than you really need a car with more legroom and comfortable seat. But if it is just for kids or occasional occupants than I think that any car of around 5 lakh can fulfil your needs. Don't give that too much importance as if you end up buying a Indica or Figo just for that virtual legroom than you will have to compromise for in-cabin noise insulation. Every car has its pros and cons. If you go for a beat petrol which has almost silent engine then you will have to compromise on legspace.

As you are learning driving, I would suggest that after some time when you can get hold on your learning car, try to observe that what things are irritating for you and which are good things in that car which you would like to have in your next car. Try to observe by driving some friend's or relative's cars too as you don't seem in hurry and you should not be as its your first car.

I wonder why no one given a thought to Fabia, that is a luxurious and spacious car which has mature road manners. Only ABS or Airbags are not guarantee for safety, first of all a car's handling and road manners should be counted for safety. How useful braking ability of a car will be if it has a massive body roll and while applying sudden braking it has chances of toppling or looses track!

So if you are thinking for safety then give a thought to Fabia too.

Don't get in hurry, take your time before deciding, discuss here, discuss with your known people, try to know their experience with their cars. After finishing the classes, try to drive some cars in you circle. And most important is that whenever you are going to decide the car, do have some test-drives, it matters.

Best of luck

I might have missed it but why is Swift out of the list! Petrol car and no swift doesnt make sense. Anyway, if space is a criteria then Fabia is also a good car. And IIRC prices have been reduced quite a lot.

I would say give these cars a try and see what fits your requirement the best.

Production of jazz and brio will return to full swing by mid-February. But, still no idea when bookings will reopen. So, go for jazz or brio, if you are ready to wait atleast 6months( just like yoyr unicorn ) .

As thetraveller mentioned, you can consider swift too. It has moderate space at the back. Jazz has plenty of space, but that may be unnecessary unless all are six-footers. Ofcourse, headroom can be a slight problem too. If you are going for figo, then i think its better to go for diesel. The petrol motor is slightly underpowered and the diesel is a proven motor. The diesel figo is more fun to drive than the petrol, due to higher low end torque. Ritz seems very good because its your first car and 1st car being maruti is always better. Sevice and maintanance costs will be lower and will have good resale value too. So, jazz>swift>ritz>brio .

Space = Etios Liva. Has disappointing interior quality but as a mechanical package, it fares across quite well. Comes with a robust 1.2L engine, short clutch (driving in the city is a breeze) and Toyota promise of quality after sales service. Though not a very desirable car by any stretch of imagination, I suggest you take a test drive nevertheless. You will love the space inside and the fantastic ride quality. The Liva comes with ABS/airbags and interior quality apart, suits all your requirement to a 'T' !

Top Bottom