Best Petrol Hatchback with Low Maintenance Cost

Hi!

I am new to this forum.

I am looking for a Petrol car. My family consist of three.

I donot like :

1> Maruti : for their toy like cars ...IMO
2> Hundai : not VFM and costly to maintain
3> VW/SKODA: 3 pot motor, costly to maintain
4> Honda : costly to maintain on long run
5> Liva : vey light car/ poor from inside
6: Figo : Low GC , Bad FE

But still I need one. :(

Can you help me?

Your Budget: 5.5L -6.5L OnRoad ,Bangalore
Your Location: Bangalore
Top 5 Priorities: Build Quality, Low maintain cost on long run, Reliable, Great Ride and drive quality, good FF
Monthly Running: 600 Km max. / month In twice a year long trip (1500*2)
For Which Purpose: Family Trips (In city on week-ends and Long Drive approx. 150KM in 2 to 3 times a year.)
Max. Seating Capacity: 5
Priority of Fuel Type: Petrol
Body Type:Hatchback
Hi HSR2,

Now that you have rulled out some of teh best names here are the bets bets for you.

Beat 1.2 Has everything that a car requires.

Fiat Palio Try our not bad. They are coming wit their won service stations shortly.

Nissan Micra, drive this you will know or the Big Brother renualt

I dont think there is anything else for you in the store, i could have suggested you TATA but .. no except for solid build nothing much to talk about.

Its worth trying RITZ and they are about to launch a new update ..

Thread Starter #33
Sorry Guy, for all the confusion.

I have found 2 options.

1> JAZZ Bass
2> Punto 1.3 Dynamic

Now the more specific questions are:

What is the maintain cost and spare-part cost after 3 years of use (not much running)
for both this car? I come to know that onda is costly to maintain. Is it correct?

@powerpacked : thx for your wise view.

Any comment here? Which car is best for long term owenership and ...... do JAZZ has good resale value too?

Sorry Guy, for all the confusion.

I have found 2 options.

1> JAZZ Bass
2> Punto 1.3 Dynamic

Now the more specific questions are:

What is the maintain cost and spare-part cost after 3 years of use (not much running)
for both this car? I come to know that onda is costly to maintain. Is it correct?

@powerpacked : thx for your wise view.

Any comment here? Which car is best for long term owenership and ...... do JAZZ has good resale value too?
My views:
Both cars would be similar when it comes to maintenance costs and spare parts costs. However conventional wisdom dictates that Diesel would be costlier to maintain after a span of time (3-4 years down the line) than a Petrol engine.
Resale value of Honda would be more. Check the second hand price of Jazz and Punto today for the same year (e.g. 2009) and hopefully you will see the difference.
Honda ASS is statistically better than FIAT (earlier TATA). How FIAT will manage it independently in the future is unknown and historically (i.e before its tie-up with TATA) was pathetic. However there may be local variations.
Daily running costs: Punto wins as its diesel, but your usage is not much anyway.

Did you TD any of the cars? If not, please do and let us know your views. Also don't confuse Jazz with Brio. They may have the same engine but they are as different as Linea and Punto (again same engine).

Thread Starter #35
Hello chayan,

First:

1> I feel with Brio Honda tried to fool us. A overpriced, very crampy car..IMO...

2> I and my family took TD of PUnto 1.3. WE ALL LOVED it very much!

No TD for Jazz as dealers have no TD JAZZ in Bangalore. No discount at all. Low GC.

Hello chayan,

First:

1> I feel with Brio Honda tried to fool us. A overpriced, very crampy car..IMO...

2> I and my family took TD of PUnto 1.3. WE ALL LOVED it very much!

No TD for Jazz as dealers have no TD JAZZ in Bangalore. No discount at all. Low GC.
No TD Jazz in Bangalore? Tried all the dealers?

Probably that's how Honda will maintain Jazz as a premium exclusive model. I don't think Honda will discontinue it in favor of the Brio as Jazz is a more successful global brand than the Brio and in other countries it still in production. They are having some issues with supply chain is what I gather from the Internet.

If your family liked the Punto (and your choices are limited [evil]) I suggest you go for it. Its a equally capable car and a great joy to drive (see my earlier comment).

No TD Jazz in Bangalore? Tried all the dealers?
Probably that's how Honda will maintain Jazz as a premium exclusive model.
[surprise], what for?, then how will a car sell if there's no TD taken. Jazz is a perfect buy for many of the diesel-heads, but the fuel in prices in the country forces Jazz lovers to go for diesels.

I and my family took TD of PUnto 1.3. WE ALL LOVED it very much!
Why don't you try Punto 1.2, its petrol, falls under the budget too.

[surprise], what for?, then how will a car sell if there's no TD taken. Jazz is a perfect buy for many of the diesel-heads, but the fuel in prices in the country forces Jazz lovers to go for diesels.

Vishwas punto petrol is a very sluggish car to drive and the fuel economy is not upto the mark and will see tremendous dip in resale value .

To the OP - first decide how much Kms you drive every month if its less my request will be close your eyes and buy the jaaz in base model you get airbags and abs too , mind blowing space and sexy looks and the mileage is great too .
If your monthly Kms every year is going to be high select between punto, fabia, polo, figo .

Thread Starter #39

Dear,

1> JAZZ base model is 7.2 L On road in bangalore. and I find NO reason to buy a hatchback for 7L + that to a petrol version.

2> Honda cars are costly to maintain.

So I in rejecting Honda from my list.

Punto 1.2 is a very nice car. But 2 issues:

1> FE not as per the 1.2 L motor (only 9-11)
2> Very slow pickup in 1 to 3 gear.

I am thinking of Verito Petrol or Punto 1.3.

As nobody still now buy Verito Petrol ..so I am buying Punto 1.3 only.

Decision Finalized.
Congrat's buddy even Punto is a very competent car make sure you haggle as much as possible. what colour and model are you planning to book?

As nobody still now buy Verito Petrol ..so I am buying Punto 1.3 only.

Decision Finalized.
That's because its launched newly, moreover it's you who's going to pour the money and you should know what you need and what you don't, not going with the people's decision, that's why you can see lot of Punto Owners in this forum than the swift, because a product should satisfy according to your usage rather that you adjust with it.

So what i suggest is, take time, don't worry, those two cars you have decided are good in most of the aspects, and to be frank i liked Verito for the airy, good boot space ,interiors and rear seats.

EDIT:P.S: Please don't get me wrong to divert your attention, i said what i felt, if you are comfortable with the Punto, then i must say your decision is worthy.

Last edited:
Probably the diesel Punto 1.3 scores over the Verito in all departments except space. Verito being a entry level sedan scores on that front.
Going through the requirements from HSR2; I dont think space is one among his judging criteria.

Hi!

After lots of calculation I decided to go for Punto 1.3 Dy, but as my use will be only on the week ends so will be there any issue with the diesel for such a low usage?

Top Bottom