Best Hatchback For Long-Term Use?

To buy a good hatch follow this order

punto - swift/i-20 - figo

Out of these swift has lowest maintance cost , punto comes next.
No idea abt the figo , though it claims to have low maintenance

i would rate the hatches in this order:

1) i20 - the all rounder
2) punto - the stunner
3) swift - the performer
4) fabia - god knows what is it! maybe the service centre lover!

Thread Starter #19
@Arun, I am satisfied with my car that does not mean i am happy with service of MS. Magic Auto work shop in Mayapuri always asked me to pay above 5K during each normal service. Last service at 40K they billed me with Rs. 7400/- (without synthetic oil or any other major or minor issues.)
I know they have fooled me but same thing happened when I got my car serviced at 30K from Marketing Times workstation at Okhla. They charged me roughly Rs.6000/-+ with synthetic oil.

Thread Starter #20
I do know but i20 looks over priced. What is you say on that ?

Ok I will tell the actual scenario I am having. My daily travel is about 80 kms (Delhi to Manesar, Gurgaon) but on alternate days (due to car pooling). Out of 80 kms, almost 55 kms are on highways and rest on Delhi roads. My current Estilo is giving an average around 13-14 kms due to high speed driving around 90-100+ and AC on due to weather conditions. It used to give me around 15-16 kms on normal speed running (60-70).

My monthly outings are limited to Delhi primarily roughly 300Kms per month at max. Outings out side Delhi are also very limited but I tend to take my family along for 2-3 days quick holidays 2-3 times in a year. You can take 2000kms per year for out side Delhi outings as I do not want to travel far due to small kids. But that might increase once they will be little older. Let us say two years from now.

In my family there are four people (Both of us and two kids) so a hatchback is more feasible than a sedan (my understanding).

So keeping upper understand in mind. Which fuel type would you suggest ? Petrol or Diesel ?

I have done some calculations and found that Diesel engine though it will be cheap to maintain (on fuel side only) but expensive upfront payment would make my recovery a long term investment. I might take 3-4 years to cover that 1 lakh rupees paid towards Diesel engine.

What is your take !

Based on the above figures, you average monthly run is 1426 KM (plus or minus) and probably higher than that going forward. I would recommend you to go for Diesel, if you have plans to keep the new car for more than 5 years. In that case, the extra amount paid for diesel can be justified. Whether it is a hatch or sedan, it is your call. I personally prefer hatch because of the city factors, parking and usability.

I will suggest Punto 1.3 if that fits your budget. Don't worry about the ASS. FIAT is serious this time and it is obvious in the way they are attending customers. The TATA ASS factor is getting improved day by day and they realizes that if they need to change to stay with the pace. Personally, I am not afraid of FIAT's ASS.

If you are highly concerned over FIAT ASS. Look Figo as an option. New Swift, though we are not sure about the launch, is an option as well.

Thread Starter #23
Thanks Shynish for the suggestion. Infact I like Punto very much but doubtful about AFSS. Anyways, let me again have a look in to my budget and Punto / Figo. Let us see who wins the race.[:)]

AMG

Suspended
Doesnt the Manza fit in your budget?

If no, then I would recommend you go in for the figo.

Both ways as the race was between Skoda & Fiat, Fiat is the better of the two in terms of AfSS. The Punto has all you need, more so in the diesel guise.

+1, Fiat products are dependable! It will not give you trouble unless you totally ignore it. Regarding Figo, I can tell you that it's an excellent product as I have a Figo at home:-)

Go ahead with Fabia if you are okay with A.S.S of Skoda. The build quality of Skoda is good and the interiors are pretty roomy.

i20 i would not call it over-priced. Check out the features list , you will then say its VFM.

Punto again a good car as we have several happy Punto owners here.

Swift stay away as a new model with a more powerful engine is expected.

Figo i would say VFM given its price. Ford has said that it has reduced its spare parts cost also now.

Well the first winner, with out any doubt, is Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

2.jpg

If you exclude Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP from the list, then here is the comparison:

1.jpg

Adn you can see, its again Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #30
Shynish,

I agree that as per the data it is obvious that Punto is winner but how. Look at the kerb weight. Isn't that going to play any role in engine performance. Heavier the body weight vs more power required to pull it ! How come Fabia does not fit the bill ? Or Figo that matter !!

Top Bottom