Best Hatchback For Long-Term Use?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am in great doubt and do not know what to do ? I am getting a following deals....

Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Emotion
Skoda Fabia Classic 1.4 PD TDI
Ford Figo 1.4 Duratorq Diesel Titanium
Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi With ABS BS-IV

Please suggest what should i do ? I am ready to wait for Fabia but would that be a great car in long run (5-6 years) or I should go with Punto, Swift or Figo.

regards

Mods please create a separate thread for this.

I would recommend you to pick the Punto if you have no budget issues. We have some Punto owners who are pretty happy with that car. Skoda i feel will trouble you in the long run!

Again Figo and Swift are good cars too but if you are happy spending then go for the Punto.

Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Emotion Rs. 605055
Skoda Fabia Classic 1.4 PD TDI Rs. 640000
Ford Figo 1.4 Duratorq Diesel Titanium Rs. 585492
Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi With ABS BS-IV Rs. 588071
I guess you are missing one of the best hatch here, Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi @ Rs. 695603 (ex-showroom Delhi). But it is the expensive option compared to the others.

Honestly, all these cars are equally good and will not give you any trouble for first 5 years for sure. I am not a fan of Skoda brand at all. I have seen old Fabias running with tractor like sound. So I will remove that from my suggestion list.I would suggest to wait for couple of months more if your pick is Swift, as a new version of Swift is almost in pipeline. Note, that Swift will give you the MSIL assurance.

Narrowing down, I will look at Punto and Figo! Italian vs American engineering [confused] Well, I will give more marks to FIAT engine any day against Ford [thumbsup] Fiat Grande Punto is a most drivable, stable car in this lot. But please note that it is not peppy as others for a city use. It shows its real face when you are on the highway or can go beyond 60 - 70 Km/H speed. It is very spacious and Fiat ASS (though essential it is TATA) is acceptably good. On the other hand Figo is the 2006 Fiesta in other markets which is again a proven car.

The bottom line is, all these cars are good for long term usage. I suggest you to pick from Punto / Figo / Swift considering the maintenance cost, FE and ASS. With out any doubt Swift wins in these aspects followed by Figo and Punto. FE will,more or less, be the same for all these 3.

My personal recommendation is Fiat Grande Punto.

I feel Fiat Grande Punto will be the best choice if you intend to keep it for so long, followed by the Ford Figo.
I would have suggested the Swift too, but the facelifted version is on its way(rumours say november), and since you intend to keep this car for a long time, i wont like you to drive an old model.
As for Fabia, it is a really nice car but the A.S.S, is a matter of concern though they are improving, we dont have any evidences of that.
So my take, Fiat Grande Punto.

Note: make sure that whichever car you buy, dont forget to include Airbags+ABS in your priority list.

Thread Starter #8
Again Figo and Swift are good cars too but if you are happy spending then go for the Punto.
Are you saying that if I can save money by buying Figo or Swift then I should do that? See Swift being support by excellent support of Maruti and same goes with Figo, although it is not as cheap to maintain as Maruti product but still things are improving. Fabia, we all know how expensive the car is and how difficult to maintain price wise as well as AFSS. Fiat, we all know how is the image and how effective is there AFSS. Tata dealers are eager to sell Vista over Punto and creating negative image around Fiat.

Under these circumstances what would you suggest? I am referring to only Diesel variants of these cars.Please suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #9
Thanks Shynish for welcoming me.

Jalex / Gears1313, Thanks for suggestion. I will keep that in mind.

Shynish / Akash,

You are right by saying that Punto seems to be a better option but AFSS? I like Swift pick-up and reviews but two things are bothering me.

1. Every other person is buying Swift so no exclusivity even after paying 5.5+ lakhs.
2. Flimsy body and rattling sound starts coming after 2-3 years. I own a Zen Estilo’07 now and facing this problem. Moreover there are many friends of mine are facing the same issue.

Moreover, Swift (new) would be launched somewhere in Mar-Apr 2011. So it is out of question as of now. I20, I still think it is over prized by 1 lakh rupees. Fabia, because they are offering GREAT discounts and as a product (built wise) it is a great car. There base variant carries two airbags. Sales man showed by iron rode (I should say plate) at the front after opening the bonnet. There slogan is like safety first then interiors or something else but AFSS is again a big question mark. (First availability and second cost).

Figo is all plastic once you open the bonnet but definitely a great buy, no turbo lag and spacious. Same goes with Punto though I observed turbo lag in Punto and rear is not spacious as Figo. Marginal difference but it is there. Even my wife could figure that out.

Akash,
Airbags / ABS with EBD is must for me as well. :) thanks for showing concern. I really appricate that.

Thread Starter #10
Dear MOD,

Above post i wrote in word and pasted it here because my browser was showing error. Is there any way i can edit all these FONTs and SIZEs errors / bugs ?

350Z

Core Team
Hi Shailinder,

I have cleared the font and size tags from your above two posts. You can prevent them from appearing by typing on Notepad or directly using forum’s quick reply box. Please feel free to Contact Us in case you require any further assistance.

Drive Safe,
350Z

@ Shaiainder If you cannot wait for the new Swift then remove it from your list. Also as you said Swift has lost its exclusivity. Skoda yes it is offering good offers for the Fabia but also note a new Fabia may also roll out soon!

Between the Figo and the Punto its a tough choice. If you ride more in the highways then choose the Punto.

But i always feel the Punto is a better product overall than the Figo. But do checkout whether the TATA dealer near your home services Fiat cars too , because only limited TATA dealers do that.

Arun

Suspended
Overall, nothing gets close to the Swift. Frankly every new hatchback is still compared to the Swift. The Swift is literally a benchmark on how hatchbacks should be. Be it the new Micra, the Polo or even the Figo for that matter. All of them are always put up against the Swift! By far, the Swift has single handedly gunned down all of its competitors.

Now, you have owned a Suzuki hatch. You know what a delightful experience it is. From the sales to the service, everything is top notch!

The swift is now cheaper on the wallet at service too,cause Maruti has revised the prices of replacement spares. For instance a set of the front brake pads used to cost in the region of 3000 rupees,the revised prices are somewhere in the 1500 rupees range. So you actually save more money at service now than before.
The only problem is exclusivity as the car is very common,But then thats why you can always customize and make it to stand out in the crowd.At the same time it doesn't always mean that you need to shell out a lot of money for this though.

Last edited:

Arun

Suspended
Maruti launches a new limited edition version of the swift.The "Swift One Million Edition" shall be available in a specially created "Goldsmith Black" color and shall be loaded with smart and attractive features like splendid graphics, special integrated stereo with USB and speakers, luxurious leather seats, cushions, foot-mats and an artistic decal on the exteriors.Itl be available only in petrol Vxi trim and it is priced at 4.83lkhs ex showroom Delhi.

Source: NDTV

Top Bottom