Best Diesel Additive To Keep Injector Clean in VW Polo GT TDI

Thread Starter #1
I bought my dream car Polo GT TDI on 14/02/2020.
To my dismay, car got stranded in the highway due to injector failure within ten days of delivery. (ODO reading -2000Kms)
I searched automotive forums whether there had been an issue with injectors for other VAG owners. Much to my surprise, I have seen loads and loads of experiences of injector failures for VW cars purchased during 2010 to 2014.
Coming to my car , the injector got replaced and it was running just fine.
But I was wary of taking it to highway. So to clear my doubts and to enjoy the Polo without fear , I have some questions to be answered by enthusiasts here
1)Is there anything that I can do to keep the injector clean?
2) Can I use diesel additives to prevent injector problems?
3) Do VW approve of any additives
P.S: I already had an 2014 Honda city iDtec. 6 years of ownership, 1,37,000 on ODO. It’s on stock clutch and suspension.

bhvm

Honoured Member
1. VW may be more sensitive to Quality of Fuel compared to other vehicles. But Failures within 2k Kms is definitely more like Manufacturing defect, Unclean Fuel tank when assembling, Metal shavings or debris in Fuel lines, Lack of Fuel Inlet Sieve at Tank or so on.
2. For my Safari I can vouch for Abro Injector cleaner. No Idea about VW engines.
3. Avoid Premium fuel. I only use regular IndianOil. Avoid Essar Diesel.

Thread Starter #3
Renault Duster 110 owners also suffering numerous injector problems. Any Duster owners who can help me in this issue. I fear that this problem will aggravate after the introduction of BS6 fuel which will have less sulphur content.(as far as I have read, sulphur aids in lubrication)

Last edited:
I have a 2011 Vento TDI and I know the famous injector failure issues it has with it. Till 2016 haven't did anything as preventive action for injectors, but after 2016 I keep on adding Liqui Moly injector cleaner regularly till last year where I had my first injector failure. So if you ask me you cannot prevent injector failure with injector cleaner. Now I have stopped using anything. Hope it will help you.

Even after 9 years it does feels strong and powerful but only thing what worries me little bit is reliability on long drives and my half instrument cluster is not working but I can live with that. Link

Thread Starter #5
Even after 9 years it does feels strong and powerful but only thing what worries me little bit is reliability on long drives and my half instrument cluster is not working but I can live with that. Link
When my car stranded in the highway due to injector failure, I immediately switched off the car with the fear of damaging the engine further. But the service person from VW actually drove the vehicle for nearly 70 kms to the service centre. When asked whether we can drive the vehicle with injector failure, he told that it can be driven with 2nd gear with speed not exceeding 50km/hr
Buying a performance vehicle and driving it in highway with fear of failure really sucks.

Last edited:
We have a fiesta here 1.4TDCi (Duratorq) , it had shown injector failure symptoms from 88k km , (RPM raises in 2nd gear ,when throttle is applies , but no power output ) , also crank delay (coldstarts) . Finally when vehicle reached 1L9k km , it showed low power output in inclines (literally you needed to floor completely , still vehicle will move in snail pace in incline) , and injector was replaced .
I don't advice to try out Diesel injector cleaners additives(As we tried that , and say after a day or two , the last symptom was shown by the ride ) .
And my advice is always replace the injector as early as possible (Although most mechanics say it will last ) , the issue is a faulty injector , will lead to a faulty pump , in the long run even faulty turbo , more worse case engine too.

When my car stranded in the highway due to injector failure, I immediately switched off the car with the fear of damaging the engine further. But the service person from VW actually drove the vehicle for nearly 70 kms to the service centre. When asked whether we can drive the vehicle with injector failure, he told that it can be driven with 2nd gear with speed not exceeding 50km/hr
Buying a performance vehicle and driving it in highway with fear of failure really sucks.
Mine failed at Mahabaleshwar and I drove 120 KM with 40 KM/Hr speed till I reach home in Pune. The next day when I started the car everything was normal. I drove around 15 days and same issue resurfaced again and then I changed the faulty injector.

Thread Starter #8
Mine failed at Mahabaleshwar and I drove 120 KM with 40 KM/Hr speed till I reach home in Pune. The next day when I started the car everything was normal. I drove around 15 days and same issue resurfaced again and then I changed the faulty injector.
Atleast it gives peace of mind that, even with faulty injector , i can drive for 100kms or so with low speeds to reach nearby major city , and wont left stranded in the middle of nowhere at midnight.

Last edited:

Top Bottom