Being LUV’ed – My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Ownership Report

Thread Starter #1
Introduction:
This is my pleasant experience of buying my LUV, yes that’s my Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZXI. Ertiga which means ER-Rows, Tiga –Three i.e swift with three Rows.( Found on Internet).I am too lazy that’s why I am posting my Ownership Report After 7 months, so I apologize for this and for any grammatical or spelling mistakes.

History:
Fiat padmini Petrol(1991-2001):
It was a bought when I was just born, secret of buying was, a gift to my dad by my grandfather and also a big car for a family. Yes I was too small to understand, but I always loved that car, my dad used to take me on beaches, restaurant ,movies on weekends. My dad have drove that car 20/22 times on NH-17(Mumbai –Goa) highways, not even once it gave trouble.
It was renovated around 1999,changed color from gray to white, and pioneer stereo was added. My dad still appreciate that car, I cried like anything when it was sold.Had some 50000kms on it.
I knew all the functions of the car, and when my dad was outstation for few days or months I used to give ignition for few minutes. scan0188.jpg
Maruti Suzuki Omni(2002-Still going strong):
It was a 1994 model, well worshipped single handed model of my Grandfathers friend. My dad got another vehicle from his office for his official travel, even when we owned padmini, so personal car was never used unless a long drive. As family increased means my uncle and aunt, we needed a larger car to serve the need, so that’s how our white Omni came home on April 20th 2002.It had done some 50000kms at the time of buying, and after that we have travelled around 75000kms,still going strong. It was Renovated and still with us, this was my first car in which I learned driving, I personally drove around 25000kms.This car thought me everything, from mechanical to electrical. Never gave any big issues, was low on maintenance.
03062009156.jpg

Why New car?
• Our Omni was serving purpose well, but the need for much stronger car started hovering around our mind. Everybody thought that omni has served the purpose well and it’s the time to give our work horse some rest.
• Also we needed a car which provided premium facilities such as power steering, good braking, comfort and AC.
• We would be keeping that car for atleast 6-7 years.
• It would be petrol since our monthly running is around 700-800kms.
• Need an occasional 7/8 seater ,rather it is used by 4 mid weight people for 75% of its running.
• Budget around 8/9 lakhs for new and 7.5 for old.

The Search:
The search initially started around 2 years back where my dad was zeroed to buying an Maruti Eeco, but held back due to financial commitments, but later around September 2012 our search began again, and it was serious. heheh
We visited Maruti Showroom Krishna motors at mulund November 2012, asked them about vehicles took down quotes for quotes for Eeco and Ertiga. Asked them TD, “Sorry sir they are not available”.Me,my mom and sister opted for Ertiga, but dad was sticking to Eeco. Waiting time told was 2 months, means will get by January, unsure about getting 2013 vehicle so again delayed the plan as we wanted fresh piece manufactured in 2013.

Options considered:
Maruti Eeco:
Car was better than omni, but I hated boxy design, shape and also comfort levels. We needed 7 seater with AC, which is not available company fitted. So Ac would cost around 20 k(company fitted),2nd row ac again 20 k.
Music player would cost around 10 k, power windows around 8 k, other accessories, So would be investing around 80 k for accessories, that was too bad. So this thought made us go against this decision. Dad always wanted this car ,but turned down by all member of family.
+ve:
• low cost on road
• 1.2litre engine,with AC
• Comfortable than omni

-ve:
• Boxy shaped,did not like design.
• body roll
• No 2nd row AC
• Engine below drivers seat.
• No safety standards.
• no power windows and power steering
• no ABS

Toyota Innova: (pre-worshipped)
Thought of buying a pre-worshiped model, which would be costing around 7.5 lakh max, found many of them, Checked them.
+ve:
• It’s a Toyota engine trusted
• Good built quality
• Reliability

-ve:
• Wear and tears, high maintenance cost.
• dull old fashioned interiors
• low average in city 11kmpl and highway 14 kmpl, convince me.

Turned down later since we would invest in new, rather than old.

• Chevrolet Enjoy:
It was just launching on april 2013, Its boxy design did not convince me first, powered by 1.4 lt engine was a good factor though.
+ve:
• Captain seats
• roomy interiors
• Cheaper than Ertiga by 60 k almost
• roof rails!!!

-ve:
• Boxy design
• FE was something I was unsure at that time.
• ASS
• Interiors were dull.

Did not want to experiment by buying a newly launch model.

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga:
Extremely VFM product by Maruti, 1.4 liter VVT engine was boon for it, was closely following post of Saby and Mahi, which largely affected on buying decision for ertiga. Family was too convinced with Ertiga after initial impression.
+ve:
• Modern, Stylish and Descent interiors and exteriors
• Maruti Support and its engine.
• Spacious for 4/5 people.

-ve:
• No ACC.
• Low luggage space.
• no roof rails.
• Niggles and squeaks.

Here comes the Ertiga!!![clap]

Final decision:
So finally My family and uncle supported decision to buy Maruti Ertiga than a pre worshipped Innova. Therefore we browsed across variants and decided to buy Petrol VXI-Abs model. Color decided was Granite gray or Silky Silver. It took another week to finalize before we proceed. It was March End that time.

Dealership:
HARE KRISHNA motors Mulund:
We went to them on last week of March at 6 pm with my family of 4, representative was immediately assigned to us, we showed interest in ertiga, he immediately explained me features of it,budget and finance option. Asked him for TD, here comes again “sorry sir TD is not available”, so immediately we told “No TD No Booking”, some how he told me he has a customers car,we cannot drive but we can see interior and feel it, just that, and start the engine and we to agreed. It was a Diesel model, I really feel bad about the owner, that’s why I did not started it.
Went inside talked about budget and payments, they told me option available,here goes short conversation between us about waiting period.
Me:Vxi variant
Representative:1 months sir.
Me: need it with abs,i.e. VXI ABS.
Representative: Who needs ABS in city,do you drive on ghat roads?(infamous dialogues)
ME: Yeah to often,whatever I need it, that’s it.
RR: You would require at least 2 months then. Which color?
ME:G Grey
RR: Then it would be 3 months at least.
Dad and me looked at each other face and had a laugh, came to know they wanna bluff us, so asked him on discount, reply was plain “No discount Sir, it is best selling car”. We were off the showroom did not like the attitude of staff there, also they were offering no discount on the car. So took our quotation and we were off the showroom.

Spectra Motors Chembur:
Asked for quotes, they were handed over to my uncle immediately who works nearby which was then sent to us by uncle.Me ,my dad and went to showroom on first week of april, Representative allotted immediately, they were very soft spoken to us, heard to our needs carefully, asked for TD reply was car would be here in 15 mins, offered us to drop us home in that car, till explain me further. Explained features and then asked me, models and color, he told me VXI abs would take a month to arrive, we have VXI G grey in transit, will allot you immediately, I asked for discount, gave 20k discount immediately, even if I change the color or variant. They took us for TD in a zdi, went for 2/3 kms, experience was pleasant,dadsat inside the last row and was happy with the comfort, everyone was satisfied and uncle asked dad to go forward with booking.

Bookings:
Same day we booked Ertiga VXi(without abs),by paying a sum of 1.75lakhs as booking amount, Total was something 8.12lakhs on road(including discount)
Signed of loan papers Of SBI bank for 3 lakhs, rest would be paid by cash.

Dilemmas Vxi or Vxi(abs) or zxi(steel wheels)
After booking happily went home, told mom about booking, she was happy asked me if it is with abs,I told no, So we both got trashing (me and dad),hehehe, so we decided that we would wait for Vxi abs and we were not in hurry those time.
Next day Me ,along with Mom went to showroom, told them we need VXI ABS model, they replied it has waiting, and as decided we told them we are ok with it.
Just then he went to change the invoice, when my mom asked by seeing in catelogue, will we get airbag, I told no, why she asked, me replied cause its not top variant. Asked me again why didn’t you opt for top, what is the feature and price difference?.I explained here everything, told her price difference would be around 50 k.
She asked me to call dad, since he was at office, and told be to stop that representative. While I was coming back with representative ,she smiled at me and told me to that will go for zxi,what do you thing?
I was stunned, told her that’s “cool “,then the representative told us that car would be in transit after 2 weeks.
So car was finalized Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZXi (Steel wheels) for Rs.858000/- with discounts, and with accessories was something Rs.880000/-.
Car was invoiced around April 10th and sent to Mumbai, got sms about it car was in Mumbai around 15th April.
Till here my sister knew nothing, she was surprised when she came to know about it, that to after 15 days, kept mum intentionally due exams, but surprise was later spoilt.

Problemssss:
Here start the bad events my grandmother got serious and was hospitalized took 10 days to recover , then there was sudden death in family, being my neighbor it would not look good and after that my final exams along with rest of family went to native for 12 days for important function.
In this all we wasted around 1 and half months, now when we got free it was 23rd may, and our poor car was in transit all that time,started the procedure again, re-initiating everything.

PDI:
Went to Vasai workshop with dad and uncle where cars are kept in inventory, carried TAI PDI checklist and camera, checked everything top to bottom. Checked VIN no for date of manufacture, started it, clicked snaps of odometer.
DSC09428.JPG
DSC09429.JPG
DSC09431.JPG
DSC09432.JPG
Then next day went to Chembur showroom paid the balance amount, got the check disbursed by bank for further processing.
Last but not the least aroused Another problem, RTO went on strike in which I lost another 3 days, got no that I wanted without paying any money.

Accessorized:From mass
Went with Rs.21k Premium package in which I got:
• Designer Floor mats
• RPA with camera(important cause was not comfortable with rear small glasses, also there are many small childrens playing around my building)
• Seat cover art leather
• Roof end spoiler
• Body side moulding
• Steering cover
• Door sill guard
• AC filter
Outside that package I bought
• Door Visor

And also got other freebies such as:
• Ganesh idol.
• Perfume.
• Sweet box.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Being LUV’ed –My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Ownership Report

Finally D-DAY:[:D]
It was 30th may 2013, which was Thursday and auspicious day when it was decided to have delivery done, we gave delivery time was around 4pm since we had a function to attend. Got up early morning and was unable to sleep that night, everyone was happy.
Took my omni, pampered her in the morning and off we went, me , dad and mom to the function at mira road, all the way from home and caught up with my uncle aunt and their childrens their,came home to pickup my sister and buy some sweets for Spectra guys.
Reached showroom by omni around 4:15 checked my car, it was not ready, till then we started off other formalities paid up for accessories which were already fitted.
We were taken to top floor where a snap was taken with the car along with key, and yes finally we become proud owner of Maruti ertiga finally Yess!!!...
Then demo was given about usage and functioning, asked him various question to which he effortlessly answered,also ribboms were attached on door and bonnet.
Finally key were handed over along with 5 liter petrol coupon. So me took the new car, while my dad was in my oldy goldy car.
Started her the first time and she just settled with a thrum, what sound, I carried some devotional music to play in it. And off did drove from the showroom, where people clapped , and I was dam happy can’t express it in words.
DSC09777.JPG
Took her to petrol pump, which is aside of showroom, used 5 liter coupon and tanked her up, tipped the petrol guy, who was a repeatedly asking me which fuel to fill diesel or petrol, nice chap was worried that we don’t fill up wrong fuel and land in trouble. Straight away caught up highway to take the love to her home, with Omni piloting(leading) way for her, everyone were staring her, a sardar driving at rear with his mighty XUV was safely following me keeping my Luv away from hooligans, later he thumbed up, when I parted away at powai.
Finally came home my new Ertiga, where all sort of puja was performed and took my grandmother and other relatives for ride and ice cream, also took some snaps along with them. Next day took her to Sidhivinayak temple and also to my old home.
DC09786.JPG
DC09787.JPG
DC09798.JPG
DC09802.JPG

Initial impression:
• Car has power full engine, didn’t revved her above 2.5 k rpm, it is a 1400cc VVT engine, has good acceleration power at such low rpms.
• Engine is responsive at any gears, and speed not like diesel,there is immediate surge of power after 3k rpm.
• It is large in size, took some time to get adjusted to size of vehicle.
• Effortless parking due to RPA’s camera and power steering.
• Predictable maneuvering.
• Sound system is awesome, just loved its bass beat.
• AC was a chiller in June heat, pre-monsoon,and was effective even at last row with temperature soaring at 38 celcius. Thanks to 2nd row AC.
• NVH is something that I like, dead silent.
• Gears can be shifted with 2 fingers easily.
• Braking was good and predictable not much extreme the way I like.
• Interior are simple and stupid, with added many features.

Accessorized :After Market
• Full floor lamination-Rs 3800
DC09809.JPG
DC09810.JPG
DC09811.JPG
• Front guard-Rs2800
• Rear guard-Rs1800
• “Petrol” imprinted sticker(inside petrol filler cabin)-Rs100
• Good quality car cover-Rs1100

Short drive to Alibaug in monsoon:
So after we got our car, finished with my final, its time to party so plans started surfacing for alibaug trip with family friends, so we would 8 people travelling in ertiga for that trip.Before trip odometer was around 300kms.
As per plan left home at 3 pm Friday, caught up with friends at kurla, and rain god started showering,we started moving from chembur towards vashi at 4, and it started raining like cats and dogs,it was first rain in mumbai. There was lots of chaos and traffic, it took 3.5 hours to reach panvel when rain stopped where we had breakfast and moved on toward nh-17 merily,and road condition after that was pathetic, adding to that worst situation was the OE headlight, foglight, no use of them in rain.They just ruined are party mood, visibility in rain was almost zero, travelling at 50 kmph all time was not good at all and adding to that accidently I crossed a pool of water upto 300mm,splashing water on the poor rikshaw guys. It took me 7 hours to reach some 250 kms. Return journey was not event full.

1st Service at 990kms 1 month:
1st service was done at Spectra MASS in the end of June month, where I was billed Rs.300 rs only for consumables, everything was checked and topped up, washing was not up to mark. Also told him lift up ertiga I want to personally check underbody for any oil leakages and dent.

3M underbody Treatment:
After 1st service I had schedule underbody treatment for LUV at Thane 3M, opted for 5 year corrosion treatment with warranty which costed me around Rs.3800.These are very professional guys regarding their work, and dedicated, gave nice cool wash to my car again.

Bitter Experience Front wipers swaped:
Actually some color was chipped off from top of LUV which they told me that they would repair it during 1st service, but was done 2 days later.3 days later to after coloring I realized that wiper had lost it effectiveness and while cleaning I found that they were not my wiper, they were some 2-3 years old wiper where rubber on it was worn out. Immediately went to MASS, fired them for such improper practice first they told that It does not happens hear, it must have happened automatically, but I told them strictly that is this the quality maruti provides, on hearing this from us, they changed them promptly.

Headlamps upgraded 90/100watts:
After pathetic experience on recent trip, I did not wanted to take chances, straightaway upgraded 100/90 setup with Osram bulbs, and now visibility and improved a lot, can take her any where on any time.

Luggage carrier needed:
As you are all aware this car has low luggage space, It is unable to stuff all the luggage for 8 people for at least a week. I wanted it to be removeable and stylish. So started searching for alternative. Here is the link explaining the same.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...tions/14003-suggest-roof-rack-luv-ertiga.html
DC00234.JPG
DC00235.JPG
DC00239.JPG

Long drive to native:
It was nice long drive, with 8 people on board, getting a decent mileage of 15kmpl.The trip was of 1440 kms,with 1100 highway s and rest small road,ghat roads etc. Enjoyed the drive to the heart, it has effortless cruising ability; Cruising range of 90-120 on highways only. Never felt short of power in any moment, even when reversing towards slop with full passengers.
DC00282.JPG
DC00559.jpg
DC00568.jpg

2nd Service @ 4750kms:
2nd service was done at 20th November 2013, they started pushing me for service, went done it.Bill was around Rs.1900
Things done:
• Full body wash
• Upholstery cleaning it was messed out
• Wheel alignment
• Lubrications done,oil battery check up.

Niggles:
2nd row AC niggle:
Cracking noise from 2nd row ac, even though recently whole upper upholstery top was stripped doen and fixed I still here that sound at small extent, really hate it.I went around 4/5 times to fix that problem. Still having that issue

Air noise From both quarter glasses:
It was fixed when I showed them the cause, initially they did not believe me so they took me on TD, and they observed it it was later fixed.

DSC00677.JPG
Completed 5000kms:
Today when I am writing it has completed around 5100 kms and going strong. In my opinion It is the best MPV rolled out in Indian segment, and when it comes to it is un matched quality and service.Today my car is giving me around 14.4 kmpl (tank full) method. I have just fallen for her.

And further i will keep posting about my various experiences.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

Nice write up Patkar.. Nice pics too.

Whats the use of this warning lamp..
This lamp is used to increase or decrese light intensity of dashboard console lighting.
Indicator means below knob could be turned anti-clockwise to decrease and clockwise to increase intensity of light.
This can be only done when we turn on tail lights.

Thread Starter #5
Being LUV’ed –My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Ownership Report

Update:

Engine Report:
•Engine is 1.4 litre (K14)VVT engine,maximum power of 93.7bhp at 6000 rpm with 130 Nm of torque at 4000 rpm.

•Engine is butter smooth,you will never feel the presence of it.

•I started feeling engine power and surge while on trip to Alibaug ,but did not fiddle it above 2.5k rpm cause it was under Run in period,but on later trip of native i came to know in and out of it.There is a immediate increase power after 3000 rpm,Engine is Rev friendly.

•If you need good FE,this car must be revved below 3000RPM.

•Engine starts roaring,which heard inside cabin after 5000 RPM,it's sound similiar sports car.[lol]

•No frequent down shifting required.

•Engine is power enough to carry 8 healthy passengers with luggage with descent speed.

•Usage of AC does not bother the engine.

•Can Cruise at speed of 90 to 120 without straining the engine much.

DSC09424.JPG

Gears:

•Slotting gears are short, slick and easy,gears can be slotted with 2 fingers easily.

•Clutch is light,which work great in B2B traffic.

•My gear shifting pattern:
1st to 2nd:10kmph
2nd to 3rd:30 kmph
3rd to 4th :40 kmph
4th to 5th :60 kmph

•1st gear has immense power,better keep it for tough terrain
•2nd can be used for b2b traffic and quick overtake,has good power
•3rd gear is like automatic,goes all the way from 30 to 100,has immense power,i just love this gear.
•4th gear is also good,power is immediate.
•5th gear Strictly for cruising and better FE.Power on tap,no need to downshift unless necessary.

•Reverse gear is not engaged easily sometimes so i need to do the following(reference)
1)Slot it back to 1st,roll towards forward a little,and then slot to reverse.

2)Put it in neutral, release the clutch,again depress it and slot it reverse.

Drivetrain: Front wheel Drive

•Advantage of above is that car would not push you on the curve,it would be under control.

•Better FE.

•Car is Front Wheel drive ,So we have to remember that we don't over spin,tough terrains show be handled with care.

•Ertiga is with full load might struggle a little on steep incline, for traction.

Last edited:

Hi,
It’s a nice write up. Congratulations on your new car.
The front Bumper is looking bit odd. Whether it’s given by Maruti as a free accessory?

Thread Starter #9

Hi,
It’s a nice write up. Congratulations on your new car.
The front Bumper is looking bit odd. Whether it’s given by Maruti as a free accessory?
Thanks buddy
It is an after market accessory,i have bought it.
Hmm i know that it looks odd,i don't love the aspect,you know how moms are?What can we do,actually initially was having rear guard only,but later mom fired use and sent us again to fit it.
Since my sister is learning car now,i would be kept until she masters it,and later would be removed.
Even my dad hates it.[frustration]

Excellent review ....this review deserve a Class-1 category. [:)]

Did you ever try to adjust the console light illumination?
What / how to do that ?

Fantastic detailed review and report sir! Now all are tempting me to write my LUV ownership report!
The extra metal accessories look real odd though! You could have instead, opted for better blending designed, body colored aftermarket carriers like ROUF RAILS available in the south.
But, I would like to remind you that the front bull bars may hamper the deployment of the airbags, in case of impact.
LUV forever. [:D]

Thread Starter #12

Excellent review ....this review deserve a Class-1 category. [:)]

Did you ever try to adjust the console light illumination?
What / how to do that ?
Thanks buddy.

About console light illumination, i do adjust it according to mood and need.[;)]

How?here it is.

1)Turn on your tail light or headlights
2)now Observe the Right side knob on Speedometer
3)Rotate it clockwise to increase intensity and anti-clockwise decrease intensity.(Please be gentle to that knob)
4)while doing so you will observe Few pointers on MID,which notify level of light illumination.
5)Adjust to requirement.

Thread Starter #13

Fantastic detailed review and report sir! Now all are tempting me to write my LUV ownership report!
The extra metal accessories look real odd though! You could have instead, opted for better blending designed, body colored aftermarket carriers like ROUF RAILS available in the south.
But, I would like to remind you that the front bull bars may hamper the deployment of the airbags, in case of impact.
LUV forever. [:D]
Your free to write any time buddy,see i have taken few months to write it too,do write it i assure you while writing it would take you back to buying times,You would definitely feel cheered up then.
Luggage Carrier is used only when i require,usually would be 2/3 a year, Now luggage carrier is detached,i am not using it currently kept in storage room wrapped with plastic.

I have read about issues with bull bar,Personally saying i don't like Bull bars nor any body but since i have a learner under my house, my little sister,plan to keep it till she get expert.[drive]

Last edited:

•Reverse gear is not engaged easily sometimes so i need to do the following(reference)
1)Slot it back to 1st,roll towards forward a little,and then slot to reverse.

2)Put it in neutral, release the clutch,again depress it and slot it reverse.
Nice review buddy! i too face similar problem in i10. whenever reverse gear slips, i put it to neutral and release the clutch for 2-3 sec and engage reverse. it may work.

Thread Starter #15

Nice review buddy! i too face similar problem in i10. whenever reverse gear slips, i put it to neutral and release the clutch for 2-3 sec and engage reverse. it may work.
Thanks,about gear I did not had issues with my old car or any other car i was driven,the second solution was given by my friend who owns ritz.
I have read somewhere that gear are synchronized which causes this issues.(expert please throw your inputs)

Top Bottom