Being a Petrol Head...

Thread Starter #1

Arun

Suspended
Now, before I start a big thanks to all people who have contributed to my knowledge and helped me gain more knowledge directly or indirectly.

Have you ever wondered what brought you to cars? What makes you give that car a second look? Even when a car breezes past you, instead of cursing that guy you wonder what he must have under the hood. Well, atleast I do. I'm pretty sure it would be the same for all people who share this common point of interest. It is something what one can't deal with once he is used to it. It gets onto you and eventually gets into you. In no time, it is an integral part of you. It is like a shadow, never lets go of you. This one, not even in the dark. It is something which has an inexhaustible knowledge bank. The more you get into it, the more you want to know. It is like a hangover, only everlasting and the one which you would like to have. I have always been wondering why do I swoon over cars more than the girls. I'm pretty sure I'm all fine. The saying "Heart over mind" takes effect too quickly to even notice.
Many of you might have friends, relatives who are not into cars. Our talks about cars are too technical and complex for them and they think we are geeks who've got nothing better to do. One thing is for sure, this passion can't be forced into someone. It does come from within.

Now, the flip-side
I have seen a lot of people who say and believe, a vehicle is only to carry you from point A to B. And when I talk something technical, the usual answers "What difference does it make?" It is something which make me wonder, what is it about cars that they do not like? Heck, cars are beautiful and stay with you. And will even throw tantrums and ask for jewelery like your wife would. These people put up some stupid questions and comments on which I can barely stop laughing and tell the guy to use Google, but I always hold back. Sharing knowledge helps always you see.

#For instance, I was talking to my friend about redlining. I say my car will redline around 6K rpm. Then there is this other cheeky guy sitting in front of me who says, " A car can never do a thousand rpm, it is hundred. You're speedo has an error." He continues, " A device is fitted on the tyre to see how many rotations your tyre does in a minute. And that is rpm." I try explaining the meaning. He is his stubborn self. I am at a loss of words. No use telling that guy. There is this devilish feeling of knowing more than him and it fills me with sadistic pleasure. I leave the topic their itself not wanting to argue and knowing and believing that I'm right.

So, at the end of the day, what is it that separates us from the crowd? Just the passion? Just the need to know more?

This discrete love for anything on wheels binds us all. It is something which this post may not explain. Hell, it could make it even more complicated than what you thought the feeling would be.

See you around.

Arun.

Nicely written Arun.

Even i face a similar problem. People here go on talking about cars,mod's etc. They don't even know what these mod's do or what their car is capable of.

I never explain things in detail,its useless.These people think they know everything.[:D]

But then even these talking people call me before doing something.(not parsing myself)
Its just that within even they know what they know [lol]

Last edited:
#For instance, I was talking to my friend about redlining. I say my car will redline around 6K rpm. Then there is this other cheeky guy sitting in front of me who says, " A car can never do a thousand rpm, it is hundred. You're speedo has an error." He continues, " A device is fitted on the tyre to see how many rotations your tyre does in a minute. And that is rpm." I try explaining the meaning. He is his stubborn self. I am at a loss of words. No use telling that guy. There is this devilish feeling of knowing more than him and it fills me with sadistic pleasure. I leave the topic their itself not wanting to argue and knowing and believing that I'm right.

Arun.

Buddy this happens with me too. Sometimes i hear car talks(my friends doing the chat) which are really irrelevant, (If They see less cars in the town, they say The car didnt market well, i think they have no word like "Monthly Sales Reports" in their dictionary, i try to present the corrected version with explainations but they remain unperturbed and rather start blabling nonsense. So i just stop myself from discussing any further in an attempt to avoid myself getting into stupid arguments, but it really infuriates me. That why TAI is a heaven for me, since i know i am dealing with really sensible people.

Very well written review of your experiences. I think this kind of things happens with all car freaks who are surrounded by people who think they know everything but in real world they dont.
It reminds me of a phrase "Little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

I never explain things in detail,its useless.These people think they know everything.[:D]

But then even these talking people call me before doing something.
Its just that within even they know what they know
[lol]

Even then they wont praise you, just feel good helping since when you are explaining them, it clearly shows that you are above them in the knowledge(cars).

Last edited:
The only argument I get into over anything to do with wheels is the Ayrton Senna vs Michael Schumacher one!!
Anything else, if it gets to the point of an argument, the other person has already stopped listening.

Thread Starter #5

Arun

Suspended
I hate this. You take pains to write stuff, 67 views and only 3 replies. Saddening!

i saw this thread today!

what separates us from the crowd-

1) that we get excited on EVERY new car's launch- whether its a 1 lakh nano or a 50 lakh benz or a 4 crore phantom, eventually its a CAR!

2) we go crazy when we see a lambo or a bentley zooming past as if we have seen aishwarya rai with vivek oberoi!

3) we love to hear the ferraris & lambos roar & we dont hear our friend/gf/wife screaming at us behind!

4) we talk about FFE, alloys, BHP, torque, etc when other guys of our age are talking about priyanka chopra & kareena kapoor! this makes others think we are either gay or impotent!

5) we spend thousands/lakhs of rupees on accessories for our car when for the same amount you could have bought a diamond ring for your wife/gf! she would even have rewarded you but we are more content with our car looking good!

6) we are okay if we have a cut on our hand or our lady has a pimple on her face, but we cannot stand a scratch on our baby... err... car!

7) we spend 5 mins to take a bath but we take one hour to clean our car!

8) and many more such reasons...

regarding knowledge, it is to be shared. and if some are adamant that they know everything, its better to leave them with their pride & carry on!

Just checked this thread !

Well said Raj!!

For few people, Car is just piece of steel with wheels.

For us, its more than anything in our life!!

This is what makes us stand away from crowd & thats why we are here!

I am in my way to become petrohead and agree with Raj's comments, except below one[:)].

4) we talk about FFE, alloys, BHP, torque, etc when other guys of our age are talking about priyanka chopra & kareena kapoor! this makes others think we are either gay or impotent!

Reminds me of the Peugeot ad, where the guy modifies an Amby to go hook the gals!!
But truly, I think my wife would be more jealous of my car than any girlfriend I had (If any!!!) She says I love my car more than I love her!!

i saw this thread today!

what separates us from the crowd-

1) that we get excited on EVERY new car's launch- whether its a 1 lakh nano or a 50 lakh benz or a 4 crore phantom, eventually its a CAR!

2) we go crazy when we see a lambo or a bentley zooming past as if we have seen aishwarya rai with vivek oberoi!

3) we love to hear the ferraris & lambos roar & we dont hear our friend/gf/wife screaming at us behind!

5) we spend thousands/lakhs of rupees on accessories for our car when for the same amount you could have bought a diamond ring for your wife/gf! she would even have rewarded you but we are more content with our car looking good!

6) we are okay if we have a cut on our hand or our lady has a pimple on her face, but we cannot stand a scratch on our baby... err... car!

7) we spend 5 mins to take a bath but we take one hour to clean our car!

8) and many more such reasons...

regarding knowledge, it is to be shared. and if some are adamant that they know everything, its better to leave them with their pride & carry on!

Very well said buddy, but it gets really annoying when some are admant on their so called knowledge though they know almost nothing and their views are a result of some rumours moving around in the market.

i agree. well said raj. thats what even i do. if anyone is wrong i just try to correct them politely if they are still adamant i just let them say what they want just send them a link related to it later on :tongue:

i agree. well said raj. thats what even i do. if anyone is wrong i just try to correct them politely if they are still adamant i just let them say what they want just send them a link related to it later on :tongue:
thats a real smart way to make them realise their mistake and your worth.[thumbsup]

Would depend on how mule headed the other person is!!
It sometimes is never worth the effort to try and correct someone who is too full of his own self, and resists correction.

absolutely right! well if you know something tell it but if other person is not ready to accept it, why to ramm it onto him/her?? you're not gonna win any beauty contest or prove to be superior after you are correct..people who like arguments gonna differ this opinion!!

How come i missed this thread.

good write up arun,

zinam , many say like that to me, it saddens a lot . is it all about steels.

Man , it carries you , hugs you , saves you , saves your time.
Its like a girl friend to you.
Ma rina is my girlfriend.

you take care and she will do the same.
If you look them as steel on 4 rubber , its gonna ditch you one day.

i speak a lot to my car, rip her when i am sporty , clean her when i am free , polish to make her shine . Beautify her with accessories etc.

I used to do my home work in our Omni , when i was in primary , eat in Omni when i was in kinder garden .

Now running some low on M factor , so my girl has some scratches and dents , soon she will have a plastic surgery.

comming to topic, a man owning indica said its the best in the world . indica has best resale than indigo. According to him , indigo and indica have same engine and gearbox!
man it has turbo added and different gearbox. the highest being -indica is more wider than indigo. Though i explained him , he was in no mood to listen[frustration].

Top Bottom