Beginner in Riding Bike: Most Basic Queries

Thread Starter #1
Bike Beginner – Most Basic Query help Pls

Kindly explain in as much simpler language and specific detailed steps as possible as I am really frustrated in learning bike.
Pls in your response mention in what sequence I need to press or release clutch (whether its half clutch or full clutch) ; change gear; throttle in specific situations below.
Request your answers to be for absolute beginners. For me complex manoeuvring is not required at this stage.

Situation One:

I have started my bike and have upshifted from gear one to gear two and driving at 25 km/hr for example.
Now I am approaching a 4 way cross road where its green light but good traffic moving but not very fast.
How should I handle this situation where I have to slow down but might not have to stop?

What if the above traffic is crawling?

What if I have to suddenly stop?

Situation Two:

I have started my bike and have upshifted from gear one to gear two and driving at 25 km/hr for example.
Now I have to take a U Turn / Make a corner turning where some little traffic might be there.

How should I handle the whole turning thing in terms of before approaching turn, actually turning?

Re: Bike Beginner – Most Basic Query help Pls

Bike Beginner – Most Basic Query help Pls

Kindly explain in as much simpler language and specific detailed steps as possible as I am really frustrated in learning bike.
Pls in your response mention in what sequence I need to press or release clutch (whether its half clutch or full clutch) ; change gear; throttle in specific situations below.
Request your answers to be for absolute beginners. For me complex manoeuvring is not required at this stage.

Situation One:

Now I am approaching a 4 way cross road where its green light but good traffic moving but not very fast.
How should I handle this situation where I have to slow down but might not have to stop?

What if the above traffic is crawling?

What if I have to suddenly stop?

Situation Two:

Now I have to take a U Turn / Make a corner turning where some little traffic might be there.

How should I handle the whole turning thing in terms of before approaching turn, actually turning?
Well....

If your bike is not equipped with Slipper Clutch such as Higher Segment Premium Performance Bike with Bigger CC Engine then there is no Half Clutch, All are Full Clutch. If your bike is the above category then I will highly suggest not to use that bike for learning, please arrange a basic/normal commuter bike for learning.

Situation One;

Do you feel you need to slow down and go below 20 km/h , Do you feel Engine knocking (dhag dhag sound with jerking) at that speed then you must downshift to first gear - simple as that. This is applicable for any gear and at any speed. If the traffic in front you crawling then there is no choice left, you must crawl with them at first gear.

If you have to stop suddenly at 25 km/h (or 45 km/h) - Stop accelerating -> Pull the clutch full -> Apply the brake and finally, you come to the stop. Once you stop you change the gear to neutral, once that green (N) indicator lights up you may release the clutch and wait for the traffic to move again.

Situation Two;

Are you comforatble and confident enough to make a U-turn / Corner with 25 Km/h - No - Then obvious choice to downshift next gear which is here first gear, and complete the manuver.

Start In Sequence, (Aplicable for normal bike)

Engine is running and gear postion to Netrual -> Pull the Clutch to the full -> Shift the gear to the 1st -> Right Hand Wrist completly horzental postion -> slowly twist the Throttle (DO not move the wrist - keep it in the same postion, Only palm will do the moving) and at the same time at similar space release the clutch slowly. Result will be smooth start.

Stop In Sequnce

Pull the clutch at full -> Apply brake as needed and gradually or suddenly bike stopped -> Now shift to the Neutral.

Last edited:

Top Bottom