Battle of the Entry Level UVs: Sumo Gold vs Bolero

Which UV is better buy at the moment

• Sumo Gold

Votes: 61 37.2%
  • Bolero

Votes: 103 62.8%

• Total voters
now a days Sumo golds too can be spotted quite easily.
Seen lot of Sumo Gold in the road during my long trip (yet to complete the trip)

Xover, you can check my Travelogue thread - I did travel in one during the trip to a remote site.

Driver seemed to be highly impressed with the performance.
Ride quality was good and it was comfortable too. In highway, it touched 140 kmph.

Thread Starter #62
Seen lot of Sumo Gold in the road during my long trip (yet to complete the trip)

Xover, you can check my Travelogue thread - I did travel in one during the trip to a remote site.

Ride quality was good and it was comfortable too. In highway, it touched 140 kmph.
Wow 140 kmph, that will blow the pants of panting Boleroin in an express-way.Was it stable at that speed,I mean did you peoploe felt nervous when it was running at 140 kmph?Also can you give insight what the driver was saying about the GOLD? Any insight from you will make this thread interesting.

Also post the link of your travelogue.Thanks in advance.

@ Vipul

What was top speed of your Bolero?

That sound's unbelievable, look's like Tata has got it spot on this time.now it's just a matter of time before the word of mouth start's spreading about it's positivity and the sales taking off.

It amuses me no less in seeing two models of similar design origins (mercedes G wagen by steyr puch) competing for basic UV market in India. The other SUV/UV inspired by G class being the Tempo trax (Force motors) series.
Personally, based on travel experience and try outs of these UVs I find a mix of liking for either. Sumo has clean lines(both exterior and dashboard) and seems more good for elegant ,sophistcated mod jobs (like range rover) while Bolero does with basic muscular mod jobs (like Jeep )
Sumo needs a image makeover and VFM proposition registering in users mind. Till then my vote stays with Bolero.

Sumo surely requires a image makeover,till then no private buyer's will even bother to include it in his shopping list.

For 5.46L, Sumo Gold is indeed VFM. Why focus just on looks, there are many who want proper UV with good performance than looks. Holds true for rural areas. Those who want bit of style can opt for Grande in any case.
And for Bolero, saw just 1 till date (new one) & actual doesn't look that great as that in picture. And while going to gym in morning, regularly spot bolero pick up of doodhwale bhaiya.[lol]

Thread Starter #67
For 5.46L, Sumo Gold is indeed VFM.
You are really unbiased and have fair views.Indeed GOLD has redefined VFM in its class.5 months ago Sumo series was selling merely 1K odd no.s.But aftere the launch of GOLD the numbers have shot to an average 3.5 K month after month.In this age of small displacement/big turbo charged engine, raw power generated from 3000cc of GOLD's engine ie well pure gold.
Why focus just on looks, there are many who want proper UV with good performance than looks. Holds true for rural areas. Those who want bit of style can opt for Grande in any case.
Even though Grande is very stylish, I somehow prefer simple lines of GOLD over it,of course to each his own.
And for Bolero, saw just 1 till date (new one) & actual doesn't look that great as that in picture. And while going to gym in morning, regularly spot bolero pick up of doodhwale bhaiya.[lol]
This was exactly my point in the other thread.In comparison to the new Bolero(one with orange horizontal indicators) I indeed see a lot of GOLDs on the road.I know there is a huge difference between monthly sales figure of these two but on the road I find too many GOLDs when compared to new Bolero.Not to mention Bihar/Jharkhand is the largest market for M&M.

I also second the fact that Sumo needs a makeover.

It may have a good engine, it maybe VFM... but in the end, it looks very very utilitarian - a typical taxi or call centre cab. Nobody buying a family vehicle will want that.

If TATA is just targeting the taxi market, well and good. But I feel TATA cannot compete the GOLD with the Bolero. The Bolero looks way better.

Yes, TATA can compete with the Bolero if it tries to do something with the Grande. The Grande looks good, has space and good ride quality. Throw out the expensive DICOR engine from the Grande and add the GOLD's engine in it, give it a mild facelift and reduce the price by a couple of Lacs and then you have a Bolero competitor.

Till then, M&M rules the UV sector...

P.S.: For those who are ranting about how the Bolero cant match up with the Gold at 140 kmph, FYI both GOLD and Bolero wont reach 140 kmph on a straight road. Bolero's top speed is 124 kmph and Gold's top speed is 121 kmph. The 140 on the speedo must have been on a downhill or simply speedo error. So both are at par when it comes to acceleration and top speed. Just dont see the power figures, look at the power to weight ratio also.

Thread Starter #69
There are two version of GOLD in the market Di with 70 ps on tap and top speed of around 120 kmph and 3.0lt cr4 engine with 85 ps on tap and top speed of around 150 kmph.

So autosafari must be talking about the cr4 version and BTW,Tata cars have much more accurate speedo than others.So if the needle is at 140 kmph then actual speed may be around 135 kmph at the worst not any slow.

Conclusion: Gold cr4's top speed> > Bolero m2dicr's top speed.

There are two version of GOLD in the market Di with 70 ps on tap and top speed of around 120 kmph and 3.0lt cr4 engine with 85 ps on tap and top speed of around 150 kmph.

So autosafari must be talking about the cr4 version and BTW,Tata cars have much more accurate speedo than others.So if the needle is at 140 kmph then actual speed may be around 135 kmph at the worst not any slow.
There is something like CR4 is visible in the second picture (above front wheels)

DSC00394a.jpg

DSC00393a.jpg

I also second the fact that Sumo needs a makeover.

It may have a good engine, it maybe VFM... but in the end, it looks very very utilitarian - a typical taxi or call centre cab. Nobody buying a family vehicle will want that.

FYI both GOLD and Bolero wont reach 140 kmph on a straight road. Bolero's top speed is 124 kmph and Gold's top speed is 121 kmph. The 140 on the speedo must have been on a downhill or simply speedo error.
That sound's unbelievable, look's like Tata has got it spot on this time.now it's just a matter of time before the word of mouth start's spreading about it's positivity and the sales taking off.
Wow 140 kmph,
Was it stable at that speed,I mean you peoploe felt nervous when it was running at 140 kmph? Also can you give insight what the driver was saying about the GOLD? Any insight from you will make this thread interesting.

Also post the link of your travelogue.Thanks in advance.
140 kmph seemed to be real on a plain road comparing speed of other vehicles plying. It was a four line highway (old NH4) at Shiggaon, Haveri near Hubli.

Surprised that it attained 120 kmph quickly and then 140 with ease. It was a stable ride and those sitting inside never felt the speed.
Driver was highly impressed with Sumo Gold. As per him pick up is excellent and returns good FE (They were having a small fleet of 5 to 6 Sumo Gold)

{Was thinking about the earlier SUV Vs Sedan thread. (Liked visiblity and overall positioning)}

It was a short trip though (20 km highway and 10 km through the road where it was meant to. Then return through the same road)

Last edited:
I am talking about the 3.0 engine which has a top speed of 121 kmph.

The other 70 PS engine is BS3 and cant be sold in metros, so I am not considering that.

BTW,Tata cars have much more accurate speedo than others.
LOL. Any valid reason for having such thoughts?

So if the needle is at 140 kmph then actual speed may be around 135 kmph at the worst not any slow.
Do some google search buddy. Or search for figures from ACI as they use VBOX for testing and their figures can be relied upon.

So the figures mentioned of Bolero and Sumo Gold (124 & 121) is from VBOX testing and not from the speedo.
Conclusion: Gold cr4's top speed> > Bolero m2dicr's top speed.
Give some reliable sources to validate this rather than just blatant talking.

Tata Sumo Gold review, test drive - Review - Autocar India

Mahindra Bolero ZLX review, test drive - Review - Autocar India

Their quotes to make it easier for you -

The Sumo hits 100kph in a yawning 25.87 seconds but once there, it’ll cruise with relative ease. Press on and it will run into an aerodynamic wall at 121kph thanks to its brick-like shape.

Flat out, the Bolero hits 100kph in a yawning 25.61 seconds and, because of its limited power, takes ages to get to its 124kph top speed.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
BTW,Tata cars have much more accurate speedo than others.
I didn’t want to jump into the thread but couldn’t help after reading this post. Please provide sufficient information before passing out such statements. It looks bias and is not really going to help any of us. Let’s keep our discussions well-founded and justified.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #73
Sorry Vibbs, not my bias but indolence you may say.My opinion was based upon my rational sense after some real life observations.Here are some:

We all know that Nano's top speed is limited by TATA upto only 105 kmph.While the speedo displays speeds of upto 120kmph.When I had the privilege of driving Nano I wanted to check its top speed, and to my surprise as the needle went past 105 kmph upto barely 108 kmph or so it just cut off.So only a difference of about 2/3 kmph from real life.Sounds fairly accurate.

I have also read few reviews of Aria at time of its launch (can't remember the websites) where Aria's top speed of 171 on needle translated to around 169 kmph on real life courtesy v-box.I will love to present the links but sadly I don't have any right now.

On the other hand according to "Bunny Punia" of Gadi.com XUV's top speed is actually 180 kmph while it displays around 190 kmph on the needle.Anyone who doubts me should go and ask Bunny for the truth of the matter.Here is the video link:
Mahindra XUV500 top speed - YouTube

Anyway once bitten twice shy ,so will make sure to present facts before any extravagant claims from now on.Thanks 350Z for mentioning my fault.Will take care from next time.

Anyways lets come back on the topic.

@ autosafari

Are you sure the car (GOLD) was really running at 140 kmph, because I am not willing to believe that a difference of 14/15 kmph can exist between real and speedo top speed?

Guys what's the cost of this v-box, I personally want to buy this and put Sumo Gold on the test and know its real top speed?

I have driven Sumo Gold GX(CR4) for more than 3000 kms mostly on national highways. This car has entirely a different class and can not be compared with Sumo Victa or Spacio.It has excellent pick up power , engine smoothness, ride comfort , manoeuvrability and reliability.The sterling featre is it's 3.0 L CR4 engine which is so smooth that you seldom feel that the car has a diesel engine.

I am surprised by the test drive review by Auto Car India and other reputed magazines mentioning that the top speed of this car is just 120 km/hr ! It seems that the test driver has not attempted to increase vehicle speed.
I can assure that on a clear highway anyone can take it to 140km/hr very comfortably. I have once touched 152 kmph at about 2700 rpm.This would mean that if the vehicle is pushed to about 3000 rpm the speed can still go further. Since this vehicle has high centre of gravity it is risky to go above 130 km/hr.At the same time elevated driving seat position is helpful in night driving and off road driving.

Another strong point of this car is that the driver seat visibility is perhaps the best amongst all SUVS/MUVS avialable in India.The brake also seems to be very much improved.
The negative points are
(1) taxi image
(2) very old look
(3) very short wheelbase which results into bumpy ride at very high speed
(4) absence of ABS and other safety features
(5) possibility of overturning if driven at very high speed.

If it is compared with Bolero and Scorpio ( no doubt both Bolero and Scorpio are good cars) the initial pick up power and engine smootness of Gold is far ahead of Bolero and scorpio.I do not like diesel engine clatter ....and that is absent in Gold CR4 even at high speeds. As the engine of Gold is massive it makes no difference whether you drive uphill with AC on or Off. This is not the case with Bolero and Scorpio.

Another strong point of this car is that the driver seat visibility is perhaps the best amongst all SUVS/MUVS avialable in India.
Though I have not driven the GOLD for long distances like you have, I find the steering position and pedal placement of the Sumo to be very awkward.

Yes, the front seat itself is very good.

The brake also seems to be very much improved.
The negative points are
(1) taxi image
(2) very old look
(3) very short wheelbase which results into bumpy ride at very high speed
(4) absence of ABS and other safety features
(5) possibility of overturning if driven at very high speed.
+100. Absence of ABS and other safety features can be forgiven considering the price of the vehicle.

If it is compared with Bolero and Scorpio ( no doubt both Bolero and Scorpio are good cars) the initial pick up power and engine smootness of Gold is far ahead of Bolero and scorpio.
When compared to the Bolero, I felt the Gold is at par.

But you say pick up and refinement of Gold is better than Scorpio... Scorpio mHawk? That very very hard to digest. The mHawk is leagues ahead of the CR4.

I do not like diesel engine clatter ....and that is absent in Gold CR4 even at high speeds. As the engine of Gold is massive it makes no difference whether you drive uphill with AC on or Off. This is not the case with Bolero and Scorpio.
Are you serious? You are saying the GOLD's CR4 is faster than the Scorpio's mHawk... The mHawk can easily smoke the CR4.

As far as I remember, there is atleast a 10 second gap in their acceleration timings.

On the other hand according to "Bunny Punia" of Gadi.com XUV's top speed is actually 180 kmph while it displays around 190 kmph on the needle.Anyone who doubts me should go and ask Bunny for the truth of the matter.Here is the video link:
The stretch you see in the video is on the Mumbai Pune Express Highway. This streatch is a small descent (after the tunnel) and is fairly straight. This stretch is quite good for flooring your car. And that is the reason the XUV recorded a speed of 190 kmph.

My Punto's top speed is 165 kmph whereas I have touched 175 kmph on the same stretch (pic uploaded in my ownership report).

Forming opinions based on such assumptions is not good.

Anyway once bitten twice shy ,so will make sure to present facts before any extravagant claims from now on.Thanks 350Z for mentioning my fault.Will take care from next time.
Great. Would love to see the facts.

Last edited:

Top Bottom