Battle of the Entry Level UVs: Sumo Gold vs Bolero

Which UV is better buy at the moment

• Sumo Gold

Votes: 61 37.2%
  • Bolero

Votes: 103 62.8%

• Total voters
3000 RPM is way too narrow in this segment and that is the reason Sumo falls behind the lesser powered Bolero in 0-100kph. I haven't driven the Gold or the Safari with the same engine, but ACI review says that the engine runs out of breath at 2500 rpm and feels strained and overtaking needs some planning. One needs a well spaced gearbox for good driveability.

Softer suspension setup means, ride and handling at speeds might be not good.

My own experience with Tata is not that great with quality. When I went for a TD of Grande, they didn't have a dedicated TD vehicle and they gave us an unregistered vehicle with the speedometer unplugged. It was terribly underpowered and it was nothing like the figures or reviews suggested. Then we demanded another vehicle, which had decent performance and the explanation they gave was "Since we disconnected the speedometer, the first vehicle was not performing well". Then I happened to drive an year old Victa for a week, which had similar problem. It took a while for it to reach 80 kph on an empty highway and it performed nothing like a Sumo, but the owner was fine with it as he always drives slow. When I buy a vehicle for personal use, I wouldn't want such inconsistencies with quality. Tata has similar attitude for Indica and Indigo as well. I guess only Manza, Safari and Aria gets proper treatment.

With Bolero I need not worry about any of these. It looks better, has adequate power, great mileage and quite reliable too. So, I would spend my money on Bolero if I'm going to drive it. But, if the purpose is to transport 8-9 people(yellow license plate), the spacious Sumo is the one to go for but again on a long journey the passengers in the jump seats would be punished.

My own experience with Tata is not that great with quality. When I went for a TD of Grande, they didn't have a dedicated TD vehicle and they gave us an unregistered vehicle with the speedometer unplugged.
This is very unethical and immoral way, now i seriously doubt on Tata dealers.

Then we demanded another vehicle, which had decent performance and the explanation they gave was "Since we disconnected the speedometer, the first vehicle was not performing well".
Arrey! What does speedo do with performance?:eek:

Personal opinion respected.However Golds' engine produces 85 bhp at these 3000 rpm and 250 NM of massive torque, which I am sure will make it better to drive than Bolero(63 ps and 190 NM of torque).
Buddy, please get above figures. If at all you want to compare, compare the acceleration & in-gear timings as they give you a fair idea of how responsive or dull the vehicle is.

bhp & torque figures may sound good on paper but in real life, it depends on various other factors. A safari is 140 bhp compares to Scorpio's 120 bhp, why is the Scorpio more peppier? a punto 90hp is 93 hp compared to 68 hp of ford figo, why do they have identical acceleration figures, infact the Figo has better in gear timings. I have driven a figo and it is much more responsive than the Punto. even XUV5OO is more resposnive than the Aria, inspite of both having 140 bhp power. so see beyond figures.

By the way, you have still not replied - have you driven the GOLD & Bolero?

3. Even though 3000 cc engine of GOLD is truck derived yet thanks to common rail technology its much smoother to drive.Remember this same engine in different state of tune served Tata Safari way back in 2006.The low end grunt of this engine is awesome, one has to drive it to understand.[:)]
completely wrong. Infact, except for safari fans, everyone was criticizing this engine for its poor NVH & narrow power band (2000 rpm - 3000 rpm) which made it a core to drive with constant gear shifts. Heavy clutch made it worse to drive.

the explanation they gave was "Since we disconnected the speedometer, the first vehicle was not performing well".
Arre, dint you know that TATAs have their turbos connected to the speedo? [evil]

I wanna meet this guy!

With Bolero I need not worry about any of these. It looks better, has adequate power, great mileage and quite reliable too. So, I would spend my money on Bolero if I'm going to drive it.
Problem is people like me cant sit in a Bolero!

Arrey! What does speedo do with performance?:eek:
the speedometer stays at 0 kmph na... so how will the car perform?

Thread Starter #49
I have driven Spacio Jeep which had this same engine in IDI form, and though that engine was very crude but had awesome pulling power and low end grunt.But cr4 is supposed to be more refined, I will try to drive it and Bolero to know which has better low end torque!

PS: You can also go and TD Sumo Gold cr4 and compare it with Bolero.

One thing i can say about the sumo (i own one of those early ones but there have been many many versions now) is its ridiculously reliable being a tata, mine has been beaten the hell out for well over 2,50,000 kms(its actually more than that for sure as the odo doesnt function for a while now and was replaced) - i know it sounds odd but the mechanicals have been intensely reliable with next to zilch maintenance. Everythings creaks now but the engine still starts at the first attempt (all the time) - its 12 years old now but seems it can still take the beating for another 4-5 years easily.

This is probably the one Tata i can personally vouch for - dont expect anything fancy like driving pleasure etc(mine doesnt even have power steering) but its bloody reliable.

One thing i can say about the sumo (i own one of those early ones but there have been many many versions now) is its ridiculously reliable being a tata, mine has been beaten the hell out for well over 2,50,000 kms(its actually more than that for sure as the odo doesnt function for a while now and was replaced) - i know it sounds odd but the mechanicals have been intensely reliable with next to zilch maintenance. Everythings creaks now but the engine still starts at the first attempt (all the time) - its 12 years old now but seems it can still take the beating for another 4-5 years easily.
^^^ True.

The Sumo is a very reliable MUV.
Sumo was a star in its times.

Achieved 1 lac cumulative Sales much faster than any other vehicle in India (from the launch date).

It was killed by an even more reliable product - Qualis.

Will Sumo Gold help Tata Motors to revive that golden times ?

Sumo was a star in its times.

Achieved 1 lac cumulative Sales much faster than any other vehicle in India (from the launch date).

It was killed by an even more reliable product - Qualis.

Will Sumo Gold help Tata Motors to revive that golden times ?
I would blame it completely on Tata , 13 years more or less since its launch and the sumo still looks the same(more or less), yes there is the grande but thats an afterthought in design - cmon you should take better care of the products that actually sell in numbers(it was a better product then compared to trax etc but one needs to be in tide with times).

Even GM could capitalise with the tavera(still selling them! ) - Tata lost out on this segment big time i feel. High time for a complete overhaul from design to marketing/sales/post sales!

Last edited:
I would blame it completely on Tata , 13 years more or less since its launch and the sumo still looks the same(more or less), yes there is the grande but thats an afterthought in design - cmon you should take better care of the products that actually sell in numbers(it was a better product then compared to trax etc but one needs to be in tide with times).

Even GM could capitalise with the tavera(still selling them! ) - Tata lost out on this segment big time i feel. High time for a complete overhaul from design to marketing/sales/post sales!
Well said if Tata is serious about retaining the Sumo in it's product mix, they would have to complete overhaul the vehicle.

Thread Starter #57
@ autosafari

Sumo Gold definitely has the potential to rewrite Tata's destiny in this segment.To me apart from taxi image and rear boxy looks, it is better than competition and i am sure smart buyers of this segment would respond if they haven't yet.

Well,although no doubt Bolero is ruling the segment with a very huge margin but still now a days Sumo golds too can be spotted quite easily.

@Xover:The link you posted 'Bolero Vs Sumo Gold' was just a crap,nothing like real world driving in it.It even declared Bolero and Sumo 'very' comfortable too!!![surprise]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #59
Well,although no doubt Bolero is ruling the segment with a very huge margin but still now a days Sumo golds too can be spotted quite easily.

@Xover:The link you posted 'Bolero Vs Sumo Gold' was just a crap,nothing like real world driving in it.It even declared Bolero and Sumo 'very' comfortable too!!![shocked]
I never mentioned dear that it was GOLD(pun intented), but i always maintained that it was something only fun to read that's all.

So now in Meerut one can spot few GOLDs as well?

Top Bottom