Battery Dead All of a Sudden (Now Bought Exide)

Thread Starter #1

zengetz

Suspended
Guys My Getz is 30 Months old and I drive teh car every day for atleast 40Kms.
I have never had problems with the battery and never was a moment when a full crank was required to start the car.

I have been working from home for the past 2 days and I did not take teh car anywhere.

I wanted to go to the shops earlier this evening and the moment I turned my ignition there was not enough power to crank.

Cabin lights got dim. Central locking does not work nor do any signal lights.

Just called Hyundai Emergency breakdown guys to ask and the guy said the same since I have been regularly using the car and idled it for 2 days the cells went flat. Its an Exide battery that came with the car and he reckons that the first battery is only with 1year warranty if at all it needs to be replaced.

Can someone shed some light on this please ?

Thanks

Re: Battery Dead All of a sudden ?

Maybe you left any of the lights ON or the battery just needs replacement.

the life of a battery some times lasts only about 2-3 years. my friends wagon r one fine morning refused to start as the battery was dead.

That is the end of battery life. thank it for serving you so well and gift your car a new one.

also note, it must be almost time for the change of the tyres too. OE batt and tyres are crap!

Did you check the water level of your battery by any chance ? Ideally you should get some signals like lights are getting dim during idling or lately during cranking your engine it is shaking a little before coming into life or something.

As suggested above, battery life generally is 2-3 years and it is time now to get it changed. Even if you want to continue with it. You have to keep a constant watch on battery water level and signals you get.

All the best.

As everyone has suggested, it's almost a good time to let go of the battery as it is nearing it's end of life. Although battery might go a bit more if taken proper care of. You can do a self diagnose too. Open the battery tops to see if all cells have enough electrolyte in them. Alternatively, take the battery to the battery shop and get it charged. Fit it back in your car and take it to an experienced electrician to get it checked for any electrical leakages (since it got drained when parked for 2 days, so, no alternator support). Just curious, do you have any battery exhaustive add-ons in your car??

freakdude.

350Z

Core Team

Same occurred with me. Normally the battery will start showing the symptoms when it is coming to the end of its life. Like engine won't start up with single cell and more such. Three years is typical lifespan of a car battery. Here's more on it: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/1233-how-much-your-cars-battery-life.html
ilango[speed thirst];112309 said:
OE batt and tyres are crap!
Not always. Mine lasted for 5 years which was a pleasant surprise for me.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #8

zengetz

Suspended
Re: Battery Dead All of a Sudden ?

Thanks for your inputs guys. My answers below are interspersed.

Maybe you left any of the lights ON or the battery just needs replacement.
Nope, I am pretty confident nothing was left on.

ilango[speed thirst];112309 said:
That is the end of battery life. thank it for serving you so well and gift your car a new one.

also note, it must be almost time for the change of the tyres too. OE batt and tyres are crap!
Yeh I guess so. I will have it checked and update. About the tyres, The stock tyres lasted me 39K km without a single puncture throughout but handling took a hit due to wear and tear and then I changed to Yoko A drives.

Did you check the water level of your battery by any chance ? Ideally you should get some signals like lights are getting dim during idling or lately during cranking your engine it is shaking a little before coming into life or something.

As suggested above, battery life generally is 2-3 years and it is time now to get it changed. Even if you want to continue with it. You have to keep a constant watch on battery water level and signals you get.

All the best.
I had no indication of battery down. Never was a time I had to do a full crnak to start the car. What puzzles me is just 2 days of idle killed it. Even now, when I open the doors, teh cabin light is fully lit but when I crank. There is no crank and the power drops completely. Horn sounds very faint and meek too

As everyone has suggested, it's almost a good time to let go of the battery as it is nearing it's end of life. Although battery might go a bit more if taken proper care of. You can do a self diagnose too. Open the battery tops to see if all cells have enough electrolyte in them. Alternatively, take the battery to the battery shop and get it charged. Fit it back in your car and take it to an experienced electrician to get it checked for any electrical leakages (since it got drained when parked for 2 days, so, no alternator support). Just curious, do you have any battery exhaustive add-ons in your car??

freakdude.
I have a suspicion that the elecrolyte levels may be down. I have never opened it to check and refill over the past 2 and half year. My car is regulary serviced at the A.S.S and I presume they would have it in the check list. Howver I feel this could have been an overlook. Coming to add-ons the only add ons I have is My Car Audio - with an Amp and a Subwoofer with 4 components. I use it very sparingly. There's couple of LED strips running under the body.

I had however installed Autocop keyless entry a couple of months back. Would this be a drainer ?

I'm going to check the electrolyte levels in a short while and keep you posted.

Thread Starter #10

zengetz

Suspended

next time go for maintenance free battery dude!!
This was stock battery that came with the car. By the way when I inquired with Hyundai, I wa stold the stock battery is only with 1 year warranty. How true is this?

Thread Starter #11

zengetz

Suspended

Update - Just checked the Electrolye levels in the cells and its way below the Minimum mark :eek:

I'm going to take it to the battery charging center and have it charged now.

Update - Just checked the Electrolye levels in the cells and its way below the Minimum mark :eek:

I'm going to take it to the battery charging center and have it charged now.
BINGO. The lower electrolyte levels not helping the battery to get fully charged. Top it up and get it fully charged. If after that also it gets drained fastly get the Autocop wiring checked.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #14

zengetz

Suspended

Ok gave the battery for charging. the guy checked the levels and he said the charge in the liquid levels were not consistent but he said changing the acid and charging should help. I asked about the battery life and he said it should work fine but however pointed out in one of the cells the plates looked a bit rough and out of shape.

Any thoughts on this ?

Ok gave the battery for charging. the guy checked the levels and he said the charge in the liquid levels were not consistent but he said changing the acid and charging should help. I asked about the battery life and he said it should work fine but however pointed out in one of the cells the plates looked a bit rough and out of shape.

Any thoughts on this ?
Acid change is always advisable for cases like yours - Old battery + completely drained.

Once it is charged fully, use it for few days and if it shows symptoms of trouble you can always change it with a new one. Just an advice, for few days keep a tab on the electrolyte levels. Also, keep monitoring if headlights dim when sub is kicking hard.

freakdude.

Top Bottom