Battery Dead All of a Sudden (Now Bought Exide)

Thread Starter #16

zengetz

Suspended
Re: Battery Dead All of a Sudden ?

Friends , sad to inform you that the battery is dead now. RIP
So, the battery was charged over night with Acid replaced and then when I went to collect it. The guy connected the meter and it showed 12.997. But, when they test using a wire and touch both terminals, No Spark what so ever.

So, now need to get a new battery. Any suggestions which to go for ?

Thanks everyone !

I looked a lot into lead acid battery life and found this both from experience and reading about it.

The main problem for lead batteries is no water.. Once that happens the battery is pretty much gone. Refilling it wont help. Also the battery loses capacity at the rate of over 20% an year no matter what. So if you have a 5 year old battery, the charge it can hold is less than half a new one no matter what you do. If you dont take care of it that 50% drops to like 10%. Now a battery with 10% charge will still work fine but will only last 10% as long so you wont be able to keep cranking the engine to start a flooded engine like some people do. Over charging a battery also kills it. I had 2 batteries hooked in parallel and the smaller battery died because the larger battery needed more time to recharge and after an year the smaller battery would not hold a charge at all. You over charge a battery by putting in a higher voltage than what its rated at, IE a 12V battery is charged at 14Volts.. But only during the charging cycle. The charger cuts off once the battery is charged.

There are a lot of products that says they can somehow fix the battery by spiking the charge etc.. But thats only for batteries where there is a short or such things that damaged a badly designed battery. It will not fix an old battery. But it can make a battery work but at a vastly reduced capacity. Even an almost dead battery can work fine with the engine running since it can still provide a charge when needed, but you can replace the battery with a large capacitor and thats essentially what it is doing. Turn off the engine and the lights wont last 5 minutes.

Also another thing, batteries go dead right from the factory due to bad manufacturing. They check it to make sure it can hold stated capacity but they dont recycle the battery 10 times to see if it still works which is why you have the warranty as you are the guinea pig for testing. So when you get a battery, drain it fully and recharge it fully like at least a few times to make sure it works, IE it gets charged after its drained. This goes for all batteries. I have had cells in Sony lithiums go dead without any use. Some would last 10 years and others not even an year. Same battery, expensive ones not cheap clones.. So this must be a major problem as in laptops etc.. Thats why when you get an electronic device you do the recycling 2-3 times right away to see if the battery lasts. Little harder with like a car but still good to check if the battery will last. Also remember, draining a car battery will damage the battery slightly each time. But it can tell you if its a good battery or not and essential if you make long trips. Also leaving a car battery without a charge will also kill it in a few months and pretty much put it out of commission unlike other batteries and nothing will recharge it, just like running the battery without water. The 3 year warranty is because the battery capacity drops to 50% and you might have problems if you leave the lights and fan on in the car without a running engine but essentially the battery should last for decades but with a drop in capacity as time goes by.

Friends , sad to inform you that the battery is dead now. RIP
So, the battery was charged over night with Acid replaced and then when I went to collect it. The guy connected the meter and it showed 12.997. But, when they test using a wire and touch both terminals, No Spark what so ever.

So, now need to get a new battery. Any suggestions which to go for ?

Thanks everyone !
It mostly depends how you are going to use it for. Remember, Japanese ones are expensive but thats because they use quality stuff and is well designed. Not just a case of it lasting longer but it will provide the same charge at a smaller space and weight to other badly designed ones. If its a critical application I would go for reputable brands. If its just driving around locally then anything that looks good will do. I have found that the end cost to you will be the same. IE it might cost twice as much for a branded one but it will last twice as long and provide more charge to keep your lights on longer without a running engine. But I would stay away from the ultra cheap unbranded ones as they will not last and end up costing you twice as much over a period of time and might prove dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #18

zengetz

Suspended
Re: Battery Dead All of a Sudden ?

Ok tried to source a new battery but cant find one that fits exactly like the OE battery.
There is a fusebox that is attached to the battery connecting clamp that I should be aware of.

Pic below explains it.

Called up Hyundai A.S.S to check if they have in stock but price quoted was Rs 9800 :eek:
and exchange is peanuts not worth mentioning.

Enquired at Tata Green battery and its cost is 5500 only with an exchange of 600Rs. Now how reliable are Tata green Batteries ?

Also the Specification for Getz is a 68Ah battery and the Tata comes with 70Ah. Is this okay

Attachments

Re: Battery Dead All of a Sudden (Now Searching New One for Getz)

definity 9800 is too much ,
in my friend and member ," holysatan's accent the new one was 7000 , same 70 amp rated. old battery could be taken near somewhere near 600 to 700/- even 1000 sometimes here(esp the amby kind of big batt)

it was a amaron , maintenance free one.

You need not worry about the fuse box , just place the new battery and this will go again on top of it , no issues i hope.

Just give a try for the tata green battery , 5500/- for next 3 years is worth a try.

Thread Starter #20

zengetz

Suspended

Thanks ilango. So my other question was that the company specified battery rating for the Getz CRDi is 68Ah. The Tata Green gomes with 70Ah, will this be okay ?

Thanks
Avi

Thanks ilango. So my other question was that the company specified battery rating for the Getz CRDi is 68Ah. The Tata Green gomes with 70Ah, will this be okay ?

Thanks
Avi
Why don't you go for Amaron Maintainance free one, You will get the battery of same rating.

Enquired at Tata Green battery and its cost is 5500 only with an exchange of 600Rs. Now how reliable are Tata green Batteries ?
Why don't you go for Amaron Maintainance free one, You will get the battery of same rating.
I was using a TATA Green on my Siena. No problems with the battery. The car is sold but still running the same battery. I have also used Amaron on my UNO and it too served me well. BOSCH is another good brand. They are actually made by Amaron only.

Battery dead

Yesterday my swift-D refused to start. We went for some work in the city & my little brother sat in the car for a hour with the blower & music on. We had to push start the car. Now i am worried as the car is still in warranty. Its fine now but how long will the battery life last?

Re: Battery dead

Yesterday my swift-D refused to start. We went for some work in the city & my little brother sat in the car for a hour with the blower & music on. We had to push start the car. Now i am worried as the car is still in warranty. Its fine now but how long will the battery life last?
Just charge it at any battery shop. it will gain its old power

Thread Starter #26

zengetz

Suspended

Ok guys got an Exide battery for 7600 after discounting Rs900 towards the old battery !

Re: Battery dead

It may not be getting enough full charge on running unless you drive highways on day.
wise option is to charge at a battery shop overnight. just that it dont drain easily and your mates could enjoy another day full of music haha

Not sure if this can cause battery drain (might have other impacts) cos as far as I know once engine is alive it powers the alternator and the alternator powers all electricals plus charges the battery. Now, if your battery is already weak then current produced by the alternator at idle might not be sufficient to charge the battery. BTW, is your house very near to the place where you idled your car for that one hour?

Wont it charge by itself? its giving me no problem now though?[confused]
It would definitely charge by itself provided it still has some healthy life left and you drive for considerable kms daily.

ilango[speed thirst];113539 said:
It may not be getting enough full charge on running unless you drive highways on day.
wise option is to charge at a battery shop overnight. just that it dont drain easily and your mates could enjoy another day full of music haha

Nothing to do with highways buddy, just driving for considerable kms on daily basis is good to charge the battery.

freakdude.

ilango[speed thirst];112745 said:
definity 9800 is too much ,
in my friend and member ," holysatan's accent the new one was 7000 , same 70 amp rated. old battery could be taken near somewhere near 600 to 700/- even 1000 sometimes here(esp the amby kind of big batt)

it was a amaron , maintenance free one.

You need not worry about the fuse box , just place the new battery and this will go again on top of it , no issues i hope.

Just give a try for the tata green battery , 5500/- for next 3 years is worth a try.
The price should be the smallest factor. Batteries which have leak proof body will cost a lot more. Even the so called sealed ones will need water after a few years. I would think the battery inside the car is made in korea and hence costs more. So its not that they might be rated at 70AH and you can find 70AH chinese ones for half the price. There are real sealed maintanance free batteries that use a gel instead of water like for UPS's and those will cost a lot more but you dont have to worry about adding water. Another big factor is the weight, all 70AH batteries wont be the same, better to buy lighter ones, which means usually japanese.. They use less lead in the plates but its harder to make it last with thinner plates so they dont last unless well designed. Saving 10Kg in weight is a big thing when you add up an year of driving and saving in fuel bills..

And you can run pretty much any AH bettery in place of the old one that will fit. Like I mentioned before the capacity only really matters if you change it far outside the norm, IE replacing a 10AH with a 100AH will cause problems unless careful, you also can not replace different battery types, IE you cant use a UPS battery instead of a car battery since they are designed for different environments and usage. But I used a 120AH panasonic battery with my UPS which used a 7AH one before.. The panasonic 120AH was also 1/3rd the weight and size of the exide one as well. But the exide is a rock will take a lot of abuse. The panasonic will not last if abused like that, cost was pretty much the same for both.

Top Bottom