Basic Tools To Always Keep Inside Your Car

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
We drive our cars on daily basis and maybe occasionally use it for the long trips too. Though, during all these journeys the only tools which are available with us are a single spare wheel, jack and wrench, but ever wondered what if you are left with a flat tyre on late night? What if suddenly the engine of your car begins to emit smoke? And in the worst case scenario - What if your car breaks down in a remote area with your mobile displaying a low battery message? No. I’m not trying to terrify you but the truth is that misfortune comes always uninvited. Yet, in spite of knowing the basic information on how to prevent them, we usually take it for granted unless something actually takes place. Precisely, that’s what the aim of this thread is to teach you about – keeping some basic tools which can prove to be a saviour on several instances. Believe it or not, relying only upon the road side assistance is one of the most foolish things a driver can do. The small list below will brief you on the basic tools, their purpose and example of occasions when they can be used. Remember, boot space of the car is certainly not more important than peace of your mind. So read on.

• Comprehensive First Aid Kit
first-aid-kit.jpg

- For What?
As the name itself says, first aid is the first help given to an injured person. The first aid box is a must-keep for all vehicles. Do make sure that it is timely updated with latest and required medicines. Some examples of items that are typically stored in a First Aid Kit are - Antiseptic Liquid & Cream (Dettol / Soframycin / Burnol), Cotton, Pack of Bandages etc. The First aid kits are commonly provided along with all brand new cars.

- And Why?
An apt example when a first aid kit could be helpful is in case of a minor accident or to provide assistance to other road user(s).

• Spare Wheel Set
spare_wheel.JPG

- For What?
Another essential and helpful tool which many manufacturers provide in their cars. A spare wheel set is generally located inside the boot and consists of a few other tools such as Wrench and Jack to unscrew and lift the car. The flat tyre is the most common example of car break down, which is why it’s important to keep the additional tyre in good condition always. (Our guide on replacing kaput tyres: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...guide-how-quickly-replace-punctured-tyre.html)

- And Why?
Spare wheel set can be helpful in case of a tyre puncture where instant repairing facility is not available.

• Fire Extinguisher Can
car-fire-extinguisher.jpg

- For What?
You must have seen those cabs fitted with fire extinguishers on A-Pillar. In fact, some automobile companies too have been offering a fire extinguisher with their cars since long time because it’s arguably one of the best safety features for your car and you. Thankfully, installing one as after market does not cost an Earth either, so stop saving there.

- And Why?
Fire extinguisher can be useful if suddenly the engine of your car begins to emit smoke abnormally or an electrical short circuit takes place.

• Mobile Charger & Socket
car-mobile-charger.jpg

- For What?
Mobile phones are a necessity rather than a luxury, then be it your nearby grocery store or a city miles away. We’re used to keep this small gadget always but actually needing it when it’s not with you could be some nightmare come true because this is the only life saver which stores all the contact numbers that you might require in case of an emergency. This is where a mobile charging socket in your car will come as a boon so that you can charge on the go, and reduce the risks of an emergency much earlier than it arises.

- And Why?
Like simply said above, the mobile charging socket is useful when you are stuck and need to charge the cellphone to call up someone for assistance.

• An Electric Torch
torch.jpg

- For What?
Torch is indeed a useful innovation whose actual importance can be understood only when it is put for an unexpected use. If your major part of drive is mostly at night times then Torch is a must must. Who knows if that tyre goes flat next moment?

- And Why?
A powerful torchlight can save a lot of hassles to replace that flat tyre / repair the car during late night.

• Spare Headlight Bulbs
spare-headlight-bulbs.jpg

- For What?
An extra set of spare headlamp bulbs is always provided with new cars. It can hoard you from the trouble to drive at dark without the aid of street lamps and moreover the headlamps. But hey, make sure that you know how to replace one, well-in-advance!

- And Why?
Even a single spare headlight bulb can be useful when you are driving in the dark where the street light or local assistance in not at all available.

• Towing Ropes
towing-ropes.jpg

- For What?
Towing away a vehicle is possibly the last thought when everything else does not seems to work out and in such cases, the towing ropes proves out to be a big time rescue tool. I have seen not many people in our country have a habit to keep this very handy (and of course a very helpful) tool in their car. Storing one in the car’s boot all times is a sensible practice.

- And Why?
Simple. To tow and rescue your car from break down so that it can be taken to the nearest workshop as soon as possible.

Disclaimer:
- The tools mentioned are in no particular order.
- All pictures have been sourced from Google Images. Copyright respective owners.
- This article is property of the The Automotive India (C) 2011. Do NOT copy without the prior written permission of our authorities.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Good addition. Jump start cables are definitely another useful tool to keep along with the car. The ones I have mentioned above are only a few handpicked but there are lots more. I’d like to request others to contribute as well so that we can make this thread as much comprehensive as possible.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yet another excellent writeup 350Z. Very informative i must say. Except for towing ropes, and torch, i have almost all the mentioned tools.

Excellent article as usual 350Z. Very useful indeed. One other thing I could think off, is a tubeless puncture kit.

OT : How much does a towing rope cost? Also, how about a Fuel can, which can hold upto to 10 or 20 litres of diesel? Where do you get these from?

Apart from fire extinguisher and towing rope I have other things.

I do carry a foot operated pump and tubeless puncture kit.

Good thread.

Very good and informative thread 350Z , except for the towing rope , fire extinguisher and torch light my cars have everything.

Add to that a multi-tool like leatherman wave and may be a torque wrench.
IMO On long drives one must have atleast the coolant recommended for the car.

excellent thread 350z! [clap] agree puncture kit is must have because you cannot depend on one extra wheel only..

Along with the list of items mentioned by 350Z I would also recommend that people should at least know how to use car jack just in case tyre is punctured and no help is around. I know people who own car for quite a time but don't know how to use a jack.

I have a dynamo torch, first aid kit + a strip of Saridon and Crocin, puncture kit, foot pump, a roll of insulation tape, spare bulbs, and a Swiss army knife in addition to the normal kit supplied by the manufacturer.

Few days back I found jacking up my car with the mechanical jack pretty tiresome. And also the foot pump - I must have pumped at least a few hundred times to inflate the tyre.

I came across this ad in Times of India, and am seriously thinking of buying this.

Has anybody used these before?

Attachments

Top Bottom